Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monroe Park and Ride to DC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2003 at 10:19pm
There seems to be a lot of interest into a DC expansion from Herndon-Monroe. I say try it. There have been riders who slugged to Rosslyn then continued on to DC.
-----------------------------
Originally posted by HerndonCommuter
[br]Anyone else interested in extending the new Rosslyn slug line from Herndon-Monroe to go all the way into DC? I work near Farragut West and would love it if there was a slug line between that area and the park and ride.

jialiu28 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jialiu28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 10:26am
I am pretty much interested in having a slug line from Herndon-Monroe to Farragut West. At least I know two other commuters on Route 980 are going this way.

I think we need drivers for I don't like driving myself but would like to pay for the ride to compensate for the driver.

quote:
Originally posted by HerndonCommuter
[br]Anyone else interested in extending the new Rosslyn slug line from Herndon-Monroe to go all the way into DC? I work near Farragut West and would love it if there was a slug line between that area and the park and ride.

[br]
quote:
Originally posted by mkatz2m
[br]I have been commuting into DC from the Monroe Park and Ride for 4 1/2 years by bus to West Falls Church and then from West Falls Church to the Gallery Place/Chinatown stop by subway. One morning recently when the buses were not arriving for a long time, I became a slug for a driver
that actually worked in my building. Ever since, I have been dreaming to ride as a slug for a driver from the Monroe lot to the Gallery Place area. I know a new slug pickup area is now going to Rosslyn,VA from Monroe; but that won't help me enough. Anyone driving from Monroe Park and Ride area looking for slugs near Gallery Place subway stop?

webbuzzard View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webbuzzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2003 at 8:12pm
I think this is a chicken and egg situation. We need to get people off of the toll road to try to pick up a rider. they probably don't know that they won't have to pay a toll to exit and reenter.

I was thinking of putting a banner on the monroe street bridge that said "slug-lines to DC" with an arrow to the monroe park and ride exit. Anybody have any thoughts on better wording?

jialiu28 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jialiu28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2003 at 11:58am
A banner is a good idea.

I am not quite sure about how slug lines work. I was just wondering what is the incentive for people to provide (free?) ride to foreigners. Maybe in order to take Route 66, s/he has to take one person. Then s/he does not have incentive to take 2 or 3 people even if his/her car can take 3 people. If it is free, more and more people would like to wait in slug lines rather than bother to drive and park, then we will never have enough drivers but increasingly crowded 980.

Maybe we could form an informal standard, riders pay a fare to drivers to compensate for driving, parking,picking up and dropping off. How much is it? I am willing to pay 2 or 3 bucks one way from Monroe P&R to Faragut West. Less will make me happier and more I can also accept.

Sterlingbound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sterlingbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2003 at 9:53pm
Drivers, if you want morning slugs, please hold up signs to lure slugs out of the bus lines.

Most car traffic is just to drop off folks for the bus.
oms View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 2:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by Sterlingbound
[br]Drivers, if you want morning slugs, please hold up signs to lure slugs out of the bus lines.

Most car traffic is just to drop off folks for the bus.

Yes, drivers holding up a sign is crucial. I used to live in Springfield, where drivers only had to pull up. However, I've found that most folks out in Herndon and Loudoun aren't as familiar with slugging and thus need encouragement to get out of the bus lines. I've gotten many puzzled looks, but I've also gotten a rider every time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic