Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14th Street Slugs! Need Your Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:45am
quote:
Originally posted by Woodbridge55

How did DDOT determine that 15th and New York was a better location? If you go to the new location, you will see signs posted reading that stopping and standing is PROHIBITED. Additionally there are only two lanes vs. three on 14th street. Second most of the streets leading to that stop are one-way. The wrong way for those driving over to pick up slugs. Also15th street is one-way above H street towards I street. Both H and I streets are one-way. This means one may have to drive down I street to Vermont back on H street and right on 15th street. Additionally, the only stopping on 15th street is for handicap individuals in front of the Secret Service check point at the light. What did the USSS say about sluggers standing by the entry point with bags and briefcases? Sound like more traffic and waste of gas to me. If you go to New York and 14th street the only sign for the current pick up point reads no parking; therefore one could legally stop and pick up slugs. If they are looking for another location maybe New York and 13th street would be better if that location is not posted for no stopping too.

RJ

Your points are spot on, DDOT does not see the forest for the trees they have no ability to plan or see the long view. It boils down to the fact that DDOT is mostly concerned with keeping Metro busses moving. Look at Google maps for the stretch of 14th and 15th streets from K south to E Street. On 14th street there is a bus stop almost every block, however, on 15th there are NONE! The only thing they see is the immediate problem of congestion on 14th street that is messing up their bus schedule. DDOT is not concerned with the best interests of slugs or commuter bus riders; their only obligation is to keep Metro moving, all other concerns are secondary.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:29am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

That sluggers will not have the option to take the bus like many do if no one is there to pick up slugs? DDOT stated that the "no stopping" would apply to OmniRide buses too. So, even if the slug line did not move, the bus would not be allowed to stop anyway. The bus stops along H Steet are impacted, so slugs will have to walk to the 15th and H designated stop.

I’m not sure I follow your answer to this one. How can “no stopping” apply to the PRTC busses and where specifically are you talking about that this applies? If they can’t stop, they can’t pick people up. "No stopping" means just that the vehicle cannot stop at all, not even for a moment to pick up or drop off! Do you mean there is no “standing” i.e. stopping and waiting? This link provides pretty good definitions of stopping, standing, http://parkitguides.com/wp/?p=131. I know it sounds as if I'm nitpicking here but if DDOT wants to enforce the law, let's make sure they are enforcing the right law.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 11:47am
quote:

I will try to answer each question below:

When they had traffic directors at all major intersections especially New York, Pennsylvania and Constitution traffic flowed much better for ALL. Good idea. This was not discussed but maybe this could be part of the solution too! I will let them know of your suggestion!

I hope this helps. I have tried to assist as much as possible but I can only do/volunteer so much.

I have another suggestion to take to DDOT: Why not move the slug line around the corner on H Street? Slug lines would form on H instead of 14th. This gets the standing drivers off of 14th Street but keeps the slug line close enough to the bus stop to leave options open for sluggers to slug or take the bus if they don’t get a ride. Unfortunately drivers would have to turn off of 14th which means they would still be going over to 15th to get out of DC. That limits their options if they can’t find a slug there at that stop. Now they have to navigate back over to 14th to pick up slugs at one of the stops further down. Currently there are no other slug lines on 15th street I am aware of though it sounds as if DDOT may want to push all slug lines over there. Incidentally lack of driver options from 15th street has not been addressed much if any in the posts I have read. My guess is that drivers will attempt to turn left off of 15th on to G Street with the new set up, especially if they are not able to pick up slugs at the 15th and H line. I'm not sure what effect that will have.
ernie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 12:09pm
Nice, lets tell all the slugs to move, who is going to tell the drivers?
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 4:24pm
I am not a happy driver I have to go out of my way now just to get to the slugs since 15th is one way! why did they mess with the system, it wasnt perfect but it worked.

quote:
Originally posted by ernie

Nice, lets tell all the slugs to move, who is going to tell the drivers?

Nic
sallie.worth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sallie.worth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:38am
Anyone notice that eventually everyone will have to go back on 14th street to exit the city? I also want to know if PRTC has addressed the problem of no bus stop at 14th and NYA? Everyone goes to 14th and F? Hello -- there is shelter at 14th and NYA too NONE at 15th and NYA.
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 8:25am
Does anyone know if they are moving the Potomac Mills slugs that are by the holocust museum?
You can get potomac mills lsugs there right???

quote:

14th Street Slugs, I need your help! I am meeting with the DC Department of Transportation on Tuesday, August 17th from 11am - 1pm, near 2000 14th Street NW. I would like a couple of volunteers to attend the meeting with me who slug from 14th street.

The intent of the meeting is to discuss how to improve slugging along 14th street. As you remember a month or so ago, police were issueing warnings/citations to drivers who stopped to pick up slugs along 14th street. DC Transportation would like to help but they do not want to negatively impact slugs either.

If you are willing to participate, please email me today or over the weekend (need to know by Monday at the latest). Send emails to: webmaster@slug-lines.com

Thanks!

Nic
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 9:22am
As far as I know, not yet. However, the DDOT plan is to relocate virtually all the slug lines off of 14th street. First, they want to see how the 14th & NY move works.
pro transit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pro transit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 10:29am
quote:
Originally posted by sallie.worth

PRTC currently does not have enough Lake Ridge buses as I believe they have been reduced to support the Tyson’s Corner runs.

PRTC's Tysons Corner buses are funded entirely through VA Megaprojects. No other service was reduced to create those trips.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 8:53am
This message thread is being locked and a new thread has been created to capture feedback and suggestions from slugs/drivers on the changes made by DDOT.

The new thread is:
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11570
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic