Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Splitting the 14th Street line @ Horner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crismom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Splitting the 14th Street line @ Horner
    Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 5:36pm
I suggest splitting the line for 14th street/Navy Yard/L'Phant Plaza. There are 3 times the people going to Navy Yard and L'phant plaza.

It becomes a problem when the line becomes extremely long with the last of the Navy Yard people at the end of the line. Cars keep pulling up for Navy Yard and either there aren't Navy Yard people so the car waits and block the other cars coming in OR the Navy Yard people at the end of the line can't hear the call for Navy Yard.

After the Navy Yard cars get tired of waiting, they will compromise and go to L'Phant Plaza. Meanwhile, the 14th street people are left at the front of the line. There is very rarely an influx of 14th street cars so the 14th street people are filtered to the front of the line, pushing Navy Yard and L'phant to the end.

Then there is the issue where some of us are still asleep in the front of the line-ipods in our ears, cell phones and we don't hear the call for our destination. So some poor soul from the rear of the line walks all the way up for the car only for our fellow slugger to have woke up and got in the car.

We are running out of real estate at Horner so I'm not sure where we can start another line. It wouldn't be extremely convenient but a suggestion would be to move Navy Yard and L'phant directly across the street at the stop sign coming out of the "2nd lot".

The driver would have to cross over the incoming traffic and go left to get on HOV after picking up. The drivers would enter the parking lot either at first entrance of the "2nd lot" or the 2nd entrance into "2nd lot"(pass the evening bus stop). The cars would line up in the parking lot, behind the bus stop. The riders would line up, on the sidewalk, facing the HOV lane with the front of the line starting at the stop sign. The line would swing around with the riders lining up on the side walk.

I suggest moving Navy Yard and L'phant since that line has the most riders and cars and the current line wraps around behind the shrubs where riders can't see or hear the call for cars.

Just a thought!
Salty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 2:51pm
I agree with all of your points. I support the split.
Salty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 7:50am
Over a hundred people in line this morning. What has to happen to split a line? Getting the word out has to be the hardest part. Does someone volunteer to get up early and notify everyone that gets in line? Does someone pass out fliers? Would VDOT allow us to put up temporary signs?

Seems like there should be a voting process or something. I know being a victim of the 14th and NY move I sure didnt appreciate being moved to a lousy location without having any say in the matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic