Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split Horner AM 14th St/ Navy Yard-L'Enfant line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose14507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 9:33am
I must say that at Horner Rd, yesterday and today, the lines to 14th/Navy Yard/L'Enfant were ridiculously long. I vote for splitting this line ASAP.
LisaD View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 12:02pm
I also fully support splitting the lines. This will most definitely be faster. Maneuvers to wait for cars, or call two at a time are already being done and DO NOT provide for adequate relief to the slow movement of the line. This morning alone I waited over half an hour in the very cold and windy line, after the majority of the drivers called for Navy Yard, and we had to wait while people walked from the very back of an extremely long line. If the lines were split, there would be no problem at all. It is only going to get worse as the warmed weather approaches and more people slug over drive.
While I understand some want 'options' as they wait in the line, it is not reason enough to create such an immense wait for everyone else. Choose where you are going, pick a line, and get in it. You'll be rewarded with a faster pick up.
tlnp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlnp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 4:12pm
I too support splitting the line. When I arrived at the line this morning, 6:30am, it went all the way back to the pentagon lot/line. The amount of time it takes to stage riders to cars is incredible! People at the end of the line can not hear the call outs, people start getting aggrevated because they think others are cutting line and quite a few of our slugging companions are just getting down right nasty and mean!

I know that we all dislike the 123 Lot but it may be our only answer to help us with this commuting dilemma. That lot has just over 700 spaces, think about it. We already wait 15 - 20 minutes for a ride in our current situation why not drive another 5 - 10 minutes and get your ride? Or is that just too easy???
penguingirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 4:28pm
I think it is interesting to see that more people are in support of the split on days when the line is long and against it on days when the line is shorter. Now that the PM lot has been reduced and the lines will be increased every day, I think more people who are for the shorter lines will speak up.

I dont think there is any doubt that the split will reduce the wait, it is just the option to change destination at the last minute that seems to make people against the split. I agree with the person who noted that it is not right for the rest of us to have to stand in the cold for up to 20 minutes so some people can be indecisive.
LJD View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:26am
Splitting the lines might be OK, but the arrangement of the existing line also needs to change. This is the only line i've used (and I've used many) where the riders do not line up alongside the cars. I drove in this morning for L'Enfant and called out from way back in the car line - nobody could hear me. I had to wait a few minutes for other cars to clear before picking my riders up. Obviously, they also had to wait.

REARRANGE THE LINE SO RIDERS AND DRIVERS ARE PARALLEL. Most other lines have passengers standing adjacent to parked cars, so it should work here, too.
Rindle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rindle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:51am
I agree with LJD. There are too many people who are strongly opposed to a split, so let's just improve the line by moving it closer to the cars. Here's a map to clarify.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=38.658905,-77.282539&spn=0.000732,0.001114&t=h&z=20&msid=207654787283361860654.00049c7af8c72b256b1aa
LJD View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 7:22am
Better, Rindle, but I was thinking that the head of the car line and head of the slug line are in the same place, and they line up together. This is how most lines work. There's sometimes a little jumping the gun as people in back try to get into a car in back, while people up front are waiting, but the line generally keeps that in check.

What you end up with is a line of cars right next to a line of people, and the people can call destinations forward much more easily. No rider has to "walk the line of cars" calling out to each one as they come up, because if there's a line of people waiting, the cars will simply pull up next to a rider, who can then call forward.
Rindle View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rindle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:16am
True, a lot of the other lines work that way, though I'm not sure those lines are as long as ours. During those few miserable days we tried a split in December, line-jumping was already seen and complained about. It was one of the reasons we rejected the split.

If slugs and cars line up in opposite directions, line-jumping is eliminated and we still have the benefit of the lines being close together. I picture the cars moving forward along the line looking for riders, not riders walking back and forth looking for a car.

The head of the slug line would gradually move farther into the lot as the parking spaces are filled, so we aren't in the way. Before 6:00 the parking spaces are still filling and there's no line of drivers yet anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic