Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOT lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dietzf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2004 at 9:51am
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]dietzf,

Please do tell us the results of last night's meeting. How much sway does the TAB hold with state budget folks?

OK, guys, here's the deal: At the Transportation Advisory Board meeting last night, we discussed the HOT lanes concept. Most were in favor of HOT lanes as long as they are NEW lanes, built with private funds. No one is in favor of taking existing lanes and converting them to HOT lanes, especially not the HOV lanes.

What we plan to do: I have the responsibility for two things: One, find the document I'm told exists where Fairfax County has come out in favor of converting the HOV lanes to HOT lanes. I've not seen this, but have read (and others have read)that it exists.

Two, I have to draw up a plan of action for discussion at our next meeting, which will be June 24.

The TAB has no real authority except what we take for ourselves. What I mean by that is, we can be proactive if we want, and as long as the Board of Supervisors doesn't tell us to cool it, we can continue. We're as effective as we try to be, basically. Our job is to bring transportation issues to the attention of the Board, which we do. HOT lanes is one of those issues.

What we plan to do is a little more research, get someone from VDOT in to talk about what plans they already have, and then write a report for submittal to the Board with a recommendation on what we would like to see done.

My personal view is that the I-95 HOV lanes have been, bar none, the most successful in the nation. The HOV lanes have contributed greatly to the growth of our County, both for better and for worse, and it is highly, highly unlikely that those lanes would ever be converted to HOT lanes. Having said that, however, it is something that we need to be prepared for, which is why we're working on it.

Happy HOV-ing! And have a great and safe holiday weekend.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 8:44am

'HOT Lanes' Could Be On Chopping Block
Monday May 31, 2004 3:45pm

Richmond (AP) - The Virginia Department of Transportation has flagged $602 million in highway projects that could be eliminated from the state's six-year construction plan, which takes effect July 1. "Obviously, with the need to cut $1.3 billion in funding for the six years, additional reductions will need to be made," warned VDOT Chief Financial Officer Barbara W. Reese.

Among spending reductions being considered:

$64 million to start work on high-occupancy vehicle lanes linking interstates 95 and 395 and the Capital Beltway through the Springfield Interchange in Fairfax County (website - news) .

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0504/150358.html
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 1:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]
'HOT Lanes' Could Be On Chopping Block
Monday May 31, 2004 3:45pm

Richmond (AP) - The Virginia Department of Transportation has flagged $602 million in highway projects that could be eliminated from the state's six-year construction plan, which takes effect July 1. "Obviously, with the need to cut $1.3 billion in funding for the six years, additional reductions will need to be made," warned VDOT Chief Financial Officer Barbara W. Reese.

Among spending reductions being considered:

$64 million to start work on high-occupancy vehicle lanes linking interstates 95 and 395 and the Capital Beltway through the Springfield Interchange in Fairfax County (website - news) .

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0504/150358.html

The writer of the article is confused. The $64 million was for preliminary work on Phase VIII of the Springfield Interchange, which would involve direct HOV (or HOT) ramps connecting the I-95/395 express lanes to proposed HOV (or HOT) lanes on the Beltway--in other words, no more needing to exit at Landmark or near Newington in order to get to the Beltway (and no need to take the local lanes in order to connect from the Beltway). The HOT project might still go forward even without those ramps, although it would seem to render enforcement more difficult.

The reason Phase VIII was originally dropped from the main Springfield Interchange project is that VDOT decided to defer it until (and unless) HOV/HOT lanes are built on the Beltway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic