Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Signs You Should Not Be In The Left Lane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 12:56pm
From the Virgina Code:

"§ 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action."

Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 7:42am
^

You a cop?
Or a lawyer?

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 8:04am
Neither. I was curious about what was in VA law about driving in the left lane and looked it up.[;)]

To me, it seems the VA Code item says if you're driving in the left lane and another car comes up behind you and its driver flashes his/her lights (or blows their horn) at you, you let them pass by moving to the right lane. And if the overtaken car doesn't move to the right lane as soon as it's safe to do so, its driver may be in violation of this VA traffic law.

Also, it seems like a courteous thing to do. [:)]
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:31am
Personally, I like the way it is handled in NASCAR. If there is some slowpoke hogging your lane "draft" him for a few miles by riding with your front bumper about an inch and a half off his back bumper. If he doesn't move out of your way start accelerating rapidly, banging forcefully into the rear of his car several times. If he still doesn't get the message, bang into him from the rear hard enough to lift his rear wheels off the road and turn him into the wall. Avoid him for several weeks to let him cool off so he doesn't return the favor.
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 2:40pm
NO44 (Nic), they are either trying to enforce the speed limit or have an axe to grind against you. In the case you describe, they are not idiots but vengeful.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 8:43am
quote:
Originally posted by goober

NO44 (Nic), they are either trying to enforce the speed limit or have an axe to grind against you. In the case you describe, they are not idiots but vengeful.

If they're trying to enforce the speed limits without a badge and some flashing blue lights then they most certainly ARE IDIOTS.

Times to beat:
Checkers View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Checkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 10:11pm
What I don't understand is why the car behind me is flashing the highbeams and is so close that I can't even see the headlights, when it is clear that it is impossible to move over because I'm stuck behind a slowpoke and blocked in by other slowpokes. I'd love to figure out how, in a safe and polite manner, to let the jerk behind me know I really, really want to get out of the way, but until I can, I can't. For the record, the average car weighs in at about 3,000 to 4,500 pounds for a compact car, 4,500 to 5,500 pounds for a mid size car or a sedan, light trucks, vans, and suv's can weigh between 5,000 to 7,000 pounds, and full size trucks between 7,500 to 12,000 pounds. The law of physics applies -- if the car in front of the jerk can't get out of the way because the car in front of the car that really, really wants to get out of the way of the jerk brakes suddenly, the car behind the car in front brakes suddenly ... Well, there you go.
gtivr6ps View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtivr6ps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:17am
quote:
Originally posted by Checkers

What I don't understand is why the car behind me is flashing the highbeams and is so close that I can't even see the headlights, when it is clear that it is impossible to move over because I'm stuck behind a slowpoke and blocked in by other slowpokes. I'd love to figure out how, in a safe and polite manner, to let the jerk behind me know I really, really want to get out of the way, but until I can, I can't. For the record, the average car weighs in at about 3,000 to 4,500 pounds for a compact car, 4,500 to 5,500 pounds for a mid size car or a sedan, light trucks, vans, and suv's can weigh between 5,000 to 7,000 pounds, and full size trucks between 7,500 to 12,000 pounds. The law of physics applies -- if the car in front of the jerk can't get out of the way because the car in front of the car that really, really wants to get out of the way of the jerk brakes suddenly, the car behind the car in front brakes suddenly ... Well, there you go.

Thats why I always keep a six pack of orange soda in my car. When someone starts tailgaiting me, I just shake one of those cans up REALLY good, open my sunroof and toss it up. Generally they back off.

Kidding of course
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:04am
quote:
Originally posted by Checkers

Like I said, the average American drives like a retard. The average American is never taught manners, never taught common sense, and never taught to think and use proper judgment... Ever.

As a driver, you should always be looking at what's going on in front of the car that's in front of you... You should actually be looking two or three cars ahead.

You should know if the driver in front of you is going to hit their brakes, either because you already know that they've got an obstacle in front of them or because you know you're following them too closely.

But also as a driver, you should be looking in the rear view occasionally, and as a courtesy moving over if someone wants to pass, regardless if they're doing 65 or 95.

Requesting to pass while there is traffic in front of someone is just asinine. It's like asking someone to get out of your way at a line for the cash register. If someone's just mulling about, looking at the impulse candy, then you can ask them to get out of the way... If they've got a cart full of food and are behind five other people, then odds are they're getting just as impatient as you.

BTW
Some cars weigh less than 3000.

I've actually had to add iron ballast weights to one of my cars to get it up to the minimum weight of 2500 lbs specified by my racing sanctioning organization.

When one knows how to drive, you can deal with brake checks.
Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcqRtPsenUw

I aspire to drive like that some day. Note how you don't hear the camera car contact anything hard enough to make a sound.

And these aren't anything special... Lotus Elises... They run a Toyota 4 cylinder engine, same as a Corolla, Matrix, or Rav4.
Still a bit expensive. I'll stick with the Early 80's cars that I can get on CraigsList for $500 or less and stick my own engines and safety equipment into. Unlike that guy, I do hit stuff on the track...

Times to beat:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic