Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - VOTING INSTRUCTIONS for 14th & Navy/L'Enfant split
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VOTING INSTRUCTIONS for 14th & Navy/L'Enfant split

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmurray0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VOTING INSTRUCTIONS for 14th & Navy/L'Enfant split
    Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:33am
This was posted in the thread for the previous split attempt by PDenny. I wanted to make a new topic with these voting instructions for better visibility. Please spread the word and vote everyone!

"An Evite has been created to put this whole thing to a vote and finally to rest. Flyers will be placed at the line tomorrow afternoon to explain the how this will take place. See below for a copy of the flyer. Please make sure as many people know about this opportunity to weigh in on a decision of whether to keep the line as it is or split it. The only way to get a true read on what the majority wants is if everyone, including the drivers have the opportunity to vote. Thanks for the help. HORNER ROAD DECISION Since recombining the slug-lines several people have voiced their opinions. We all understand that we do not have a Board of Directors and to this point decisions whether good or not so good have been made by one or two people. The suggestion has been made to put the decision to split to a vote. Since it’s pretty much impossible to get everyone in the same room, an e-vote is next best thing. There has been an e- vite set up to be sent out to all riders and drivers. By submitting an e-mail address (real or one made up just for this vote) to hornerroaddecision@yahoo.com you will eligible to cast a vote. Once the voting has finished and the decision made, this e-mail account will be closed. The benefit of an e-vite is that the entire process will be transparent. You will be able to see the current count by simply logging into e-vite. That being said you may have to set up an e-vite account (free). All of this will be in the e-vite e-mail you receive. The next step is for you to e-mail the address above to request an e-vite be sent to you. Please make sure your driver has received one of these. Thank you. Voting will close February 4, 2011 at 11:59 PM"
GeorgeML View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 10:14pm
The Recent e-vite organized by Denny Palmer is not a fair democratic vote. It merely invites you to a non-existant event. If you reply "Yes" to attend that means you are actually voting to split out L'Enfant with Navy Yard from the 14th line. If you decline the invitation to attend the event then you are voting NO to the split. The actual invitation itself does not explain that you are casting a vote with no other alternatives. I miscast my "vote" thinking I would be attending an actual event where there would be some choice. This is not a democratic vote. It gives the L'Enfant riders no voice as to whether they want to be grouped with the Navy Yard or Not. That is not democratic. Who determined that all L'Enfant riders must be grouped with Navy Yard? If there is to be a "vote" then set one up that provides actual choice and doesn't predetermine only two possible outcomes...
PDenny View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 9:56am
George if you are going to call someone out please have your facts straight first. From the time the line was merged back together on Dec 6th there have been 35 posts, some for and some against. As I stated the e-vite was created as a vehicle to put to rest whether or not to split the lines. That's all. No one else was coming up with a possible solution. Whoever created the split in early Dec originally had it as (line #1 (14th), line #2 L'E/WNY). I did not change that. All I recommended was to move one of the lines to a safer location; a sidewalk.

As for my misleading anyone, you need to reread the e-vite that clearly states This evite is being used to cast a vote to split the slug-line (14th/L'Enfant/Navy Yard). The proposed split will be for 14th Street riders/drivers (r/d) to use the section of the main road west of the 18th street location (same side of the street, other side of entrance to parking lot. The L'Enfant/Navy Yard will remain at the current location. Coming in from Telegraph road, it would then be parking lot entrance, 14th, parking lot entrance, 18th, Bus stops, parking lot entrance, L'Enfant/Navy Yard. A yes "I'm attending" is a vote for the split as proposed. A no "I'm not attending" is a vote to keep the line the way it is. I NEVER once claimed that a yes vote would take you to an actual event that you could make some other vote. If you had some other better way of trying to find closure with this then why didn't you step up? There were 43 days that passed from the time the lines were merged back together to the time the e-vite was created. One Jan 13th (38 days from the remerge) someone ask “if anyone was working on a plan”.

Remember one thing there is no perfect solution to this issue of success we have with slugging. Leave the line together as it is and some will complain. Separate the lines and some will complain. Heck I wasn’t sure how to group Independence riders and drivers. What seemed to make sense is to keep them with 14th St since a driver can pick up a 14th only rider or an actual Independence rider. Again there is not a one solution fits all with this issue. At least by having this e-vite vote, to date 42 people (39 in favor / 9 against) have been able to have some kind of say with 26 more left to weigh in. That sir is democracy by definition: social equality.

Now that I've had a chance to defend myself, what would you suggest to solve the problem since it appears we have one with this line? Its one thing to complain it's another thing to attempt to fix....
GeorgeML View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 8:57pm
My point is if you are going to have a vote then capture the options that were presented in various posts to the Blog. To merely restate the issue as origionally imposed is not a proper vote giving people a choice of what they may want.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic