Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW - Two Options for Potomac Mills Slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 9:39am
I've had similar experiences with the bus riders, a lot of them the first day looked at me like I was insane asking if there were any Pentagon riders. But some of them are changing over. My bus slugs were all happy about the slug lines saying other lots weren't convenient for them but they're happy lines are forming now at Dale City. Just have to keep at it I'm sure more will take to slugging but for now we just need to get more park and riders there, With so many spots open shouldn't take 10 minutes to get riders.
Fall_Line View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fall_Line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 1:55pm
ktzmom13- I have gotten to the Dale City lot after 8 AM on two days this week (due to dropping off kids for 8AM school clubs), and had no trouble getting a parking space or a ride either day.

cksavage-- I've been asking myself the same question, re drivers! :)Maybe we'll catch each other at the Rosslyn pickup one of these evenings, I'll have my sign!
Monkey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 3:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by Fall_Line

ktzmom13- I have gotten to the Dale City lot after 8 AM on two days this week (due to dropping off kids for 8AM school clubs), and had no trouble getting a parking space or a ride either day.

cksavage-- I've been asking myself the same question, re drivers! :)Maybe we'll catch each other at the Rosslyn pickup one of these evenings, I'll have my sign!

This makes me wonder if I am coming a bit too early to the Dale City lot, causing a longer wait. PM was typically a late lot to begin with.
cksavage View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cksavage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 9:21am
Could we get the Dale City Commuter lot added to the AM Sluglines list on the main page? It is active and though riders and drivers are sparse, it is gaining some traction. I have been picking up Rosslyn slugs these past two weeks, and now am finding riders back in the PM at the Horner/Tackets/PM slugline in Rosslyn.
BobNoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobNoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 11:53am
Very good news in today's announcements.

http://dalecity.patch.com/articles/additional-commuter-parking-spaces-to-come-in-2012?ncid=wsc-patch-readfullarticle
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 3:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by ktzmom13

It's all well and good if you go in at 6:30/7 am - but what about those of us who don't go to work until after 8 am because we need to get our kids to school first? What options are there? I used to go to PM as I could get rides or riders until 8:45 am. I live by Montclair, so 123/95 is a ridiculous option for me; if I'm going to drive 25 mins to get to the lot, I might as well drive all the way in by myself - because it's almost 9 am by then.

The Dale City lot should be viable for a while after 8am. I myself come from Rt 1 to Cardinal & Waterway for son's daycare (he's in a special school program) so crossing ANOTHER 20-30 minutes just to park @ Tackett/Hechinger/Rt123 is bull (takes me 20min now).

I've been parking @ Dale City to ride to Pentagon @ 7:30 - no wait for cars. I then have to metro to L'Enfant & then WNY. I've had a few former PM-pickup drivers that go to DC in the Dale City line.

Getting home - WNY->Horner, wait for bus. Or I suck it up & just get on the bus & putter home. It's only about 10minutes longer than hopping in a car & then freezing my bits off at Horner for the bus.

Dale City needs a DC line. Not all the DC-headed, PM-parking folks can go to Horner earlier, or live near 123 or Tacketts.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 12:59pm
First Baptist Church Commuter Lot!

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/feb/25/woodbridge-church-plans-preschool-commuter-windfal-ar-866430/

Here is the text of the article:

Woodbridge church plans preschool with commuter windfall
By Keith Walker

God just smiled on the First Baptist Church of Woodbridge.

We certainly see it that way, said Frank Johnson, executive pastor at the church which recently contracted with Prince William County and the Virginia Department of Transportation to lease out 370 spaces in its lot for commuter parking.

Johnson said the church will find good use for money from the agreement, which will bring the church $288,600 annually for up to five years.

The money is going to go into the church budget and its going to be utilized to expand ministry programs and start new programs, Johnson said.

One of the main ministries the church will start will be a preschool, he said.

We have some excellent nursery and preschool spaces we utilize primarily just for church programs, so we are definitely thinking about starting a preschool, Johnson said. We hope that the preschool in time would be able to stand on its own with the income it generates along with support from the church.

Church officials always thought the congregations location at Elm Farm and Minnieville roads would be a good location for commuter parking, but commuters didnt have a reason to park there since commuter buses didnt roll anywhere near the church.

When Potomac Mills mall closed its lot and reclaimed 725 spaces because of upcoming expansion, the church parking lot became prime real estate, Johnson said.

There was really no compelling reason for commuters to use our lot, Johnson said. Once the Potomac Mills thing happened and the county was looking to solve that dilemma, we were in the right place at the right time I guess is the way you could describe it.

The 65,000-square-foot church, which has English and Hispanic congregations, has between 1,400 and 1,500 members.

The church was originally on Millwood Avenue in Woodbridge near Fred Lynn Middle School and has been in Woodbridge for about 100 years. After all those decades, the congregation outgrew the church there, Johnson said.

We occupied Woodbridge High School for three years while we were building this facility, he said.

The new church opened in January 2006.

The church plans for further expansion in the future, Johnson said.

We actually have in the design plans three phases, he said. Two of the phases involve expansions for religious education spaces and a recreational center, but we have to pay down some debt before we do any more building.

Senior reporter Keith walker can be reached at 703-369-6751.

JSB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 2:44pm
Has anybody tried 234 Lot after Potomac capacity reduction. When does it get filled in the AM? I don't like Minniville traffic to get to/from Horner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic