Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tackett's- to-L'Enfant Plaza- to-Tackett's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zandiejack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tackett's- to-L'Enfant Plaza- to-Tackett's
    Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:14pm
Good afternoon slug webmaster,

PLEASE RELAY TO DRIVERS AND RIDERS THAT WE ARE FORMING LINES FOR THE Tacketts Mill to L Enfant Plaza to Tacketts Mill COMMUTE?

Due to the recent changes at Potomac Mills, a large number of LEnfant Plaza slugs have gotten bumped out of the Horner Road lot. It now seems that those of us that arrive at the commuter lot after 7am have to go to the next closest lot: Tacketts Mill. However, weve had to slug to the Pentagon and then take the METRO to get to the same spot that we could have gotten a slug ride to. This adds at least 20 minutes to our commute. Then in the evening, we have to rush to the Pentagon hoping we can be the 6pm floodgates and join into an already long Tacketts Mill line.

For that reason, a group of us regulars have BLENDED INTO THE PENTAGAON LINE at Tacketts, with our printed out LEnfant signs and gotten rides into the city. However, in the evenings since drivers arent aware that were here, hardly anyone can get a ride BACK to Tacketts. There isnt anymore room on the sidewalk to form a new line, so we have BLENDED (once again) INTO THE HORNER ROAD LINE with our Tacketts signs for the return trip. And weve had some success.

shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 12:32pm
YES! I am one of those L'Enfant sluggers at Tackett's (my coworkers does the same) and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to come directly here and back in the evening, without stopping at the Pentagon in between.

I didn't realize that others were using a L'Enfant sign in the Pentagon line - what I normally do is ask the driver during the ride in if they are actually heading into DC. If not, I get out at the Pentagon of course, but I have had some luck in the past with drivers who will drop off at L'Enfant.

If the sign thing works, I will have to start trying it in the morning! I'm worried about doing so in the afternoon though, considering I don't leave until 5:15ish and don't usually see many cars in the Horner line at that time as it is. Would absolutely love to have this option both ways though!!!
mm.ramirez View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm.ramirez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 3:23pm
all this will accomplish is to bump more people out of Tacketts! Tacketts which never filled before is now filling before 8 with the Pentagon, Crystal, and Rosslyn people. It simply can NOT handle another group too
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 3:40pm
To All 14th/18th/L'Enfant Slugs:

What has been proposed is to create at least two new lines at the 123 lot:
- 14th/18th/L'Enfant
- Pentagon

The advantage to 123 is that it is close to Old Hechinger's so as that lot fills, slugs/drivers will move to the 123 lot

It has ample bus service

Is "on the way". One comment I have received about Dale City is that it isn't convenient to those not in the Dale City area.

Will this work for everyone??
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 4:51pm
quote:
mm.ramirez Posted - 17 Feb 2011 : 15:23:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all this will accomplish is to bump more people out of Tacketts! Tacketts which never filled before is now filling before 8 with the Pentagon, Crystal, and Rosslyn people. It simply can NOT handle another group too

Just FYI, I am not new to the Tackett's Mill lot as a L'Enfant slugger - I was "bumped" out of Potomac Mills when the lot started filling up by 7:30am in the fall, and have been slugging from Tackett's ever since. And newsflash, I'm not the only one - I know of many other people who do the same already. Surely, you realize that not everyone in the Tackett's lot goes to the Pentagon or Crystal City/Rosslyn! That lot was already being used as an alternative, especially by those of us who slug into the city later and can't find parking elsewhere.

Coming from the Cardinal Drive (near Montclair) area, fighting traffic all the way down Old Bridge in the morning (worse in the evening, going the other way) is just not worth it to me - and my only other option is to go to the Pentagon (again, NOT my final destination) from Dale City? I'd rather stick with Tackett's, but it would sure be nice to have the option of going directly to our destination and back. I really don't understand why there isn't already at least 1 line going downtown from Tackett's already - there IS, and was already, a desire for it. I know this for a fact!
zandiejack View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zandiejack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 5:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by mm.ramirez

Quite the contrary mm.ramirez, as I discovered yesterday and this morning. On Tuesdays - Thursdays we (L'enfant slugs) were already forced to come to Tackett's because Horner was full. We were just forced to add another leg to our trip -- METRO). The driver I rode with yesterday advised us that he normally goes to Maryland and hates dropping off at Roslyn because it adds 20 mins to his driving time instead of dropping off at L'enfant and hopping right back onto 395. The lady I road with this morning said she works in DC and could never find riders at Horner after 7:30, so she had no choice but to stop at the Pentagon then merge back on the highway to go to the building two blocks from me in DC.

Both the drivers and the riders are already utilizing the Tackett's Mill lot. We were just unaware (until now) that we were unneccesarily inconveniencing ourselves by settling for Arlington stops. So now we're just being matched up, that's all. [:)]
mm.ramirez View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm.ramirez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 9:32am
i knew people are sometimes sucessful in using tacketts lines to go elsewhere, (i myself have to get on the metro to reach my destination) all i am saying is that potomac people aren't the only ones being bumped here, plenty of later tacketts people now have no where to go. it has caused problems everywhere, tacketts can suddenly not handle the normal lines that they have - i am not sure how anyone would think they could handle a DC line too! its been a nightmare getting a parking space this week, not to mention the traffic flow has always been problematic due to the way the cars form lines. i am just saying that if drivers want to go elsewhere than the 'designated' lines, that is one thing - but to actually push for tacketts to have another designation is just unrealisitc.
LJD View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 11:28am
8:15? There's nothing but empty, parked cars in Horner by 7:30! Basically, the whole system is full and the reduction at Potomac has merely spilled successively to all of the other lots. Horner and Tackett's are hit particularly hard because of their proximity to the HOV exit.
chessie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 4:05pm
I will be happy to do the same. I feel like L'Enfant commuters for later hours have no place to go.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 11:15am
In case anyone is interested, I wanted to update my fellow slugs on my experience since last month going to L'Enfant from Tackett's and back in the evening. I have a printed L'Enfant/Tackett's sign as the original poster suggested, and have been using that to alert drivers in the a.m. Pentagon line and p.m. Horner line of my intended destination - and so far, so good!

I've noticed that I have better luck at Tackett's the earlier I get there - that could be due to the fact that I'm not willing to wait as long (esp in the cold!) for a ride, but the longest I've waited for a driver was about 15 mins. Other slug riders seem a bit confused when I'm standing there waiting for a ride while cars are sitting (many have advised me about the Yellow line on Metro - I know it exists, I just want to avoid it!) but I've had plenty of drivers and riders alike tell me that they wish there were more people driving or riding into DC from Tackett's.

In the evening, I stand in the Horner line with my Tackett's sign and haven't had any problem getting a ride. Most drivers will pick up a Horner slug and just cut through the Horner lot - there's much less traffic going that way (as opposed to taking Old Bridge all the way from 95) anyway.

To increase awareness about the line, I created a flyer and distributed to around 100 cars left in the Tackett's lots (old and new) in the last few days. Hopefully, the Tacketts - L'Enfant lines will start to pick up once other slugs join the revolution!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic