Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Commuter Lot at First Baptist Church!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizzykat22192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 4:18pm
Dale City buses could be routed in the a.m. to the church lot (I've never seen more than 15 cars there) taking the side road that connects PW Pkwy and Minnieville coming out right next to the lot and then go back out on the same road to the light and continue on Minnieville to Caton Hill and onto Telegraph and into Horner lot. The p.m. trip could go from Horner lot, right onto Canton Hill, left on Minnieville to church lot and then continue either down Minnieville to Dale City commuter lot or turn onto side road next to church lot and continue to connect to PW Pkwy. This could be every other bus to accommodate folks who need to go to Target.
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:47am
Shuttle bus coming to underused church commuter lot:

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/apr/14/shuttle-bus-coming-underused-church-commuter-lot-ar-970983/

(www.insidenova.com)
Deanwvu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanwvu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:22pm
How about we put up a sign or two near the church?? Many slugs/drivers may be going right by the church (passing by on Minnieville) on their way to Horner or Tackett's, having no idea that there is a commuter lot RIGHT THERE.

Maybe just something like:

<--- TURN LEFT HERE. New commuter lot at First Baptist Church! Lines to Rosslyn, Pentagon, L'Enfant.

Perhaps another sign up at the end of Elm Farm Rd? (Elm Farm and Minnieville)

I bet tons of people are driving right past the lot with no clue!
Deanwvu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deanwvu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:23pm
I'd be willing to make and put up these signs, by the way... but...

Am I allowed by law to do that without asking? Do I have to petition the county or something to put up such signs?
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 4:05pm
Just for info, VDOT has placed Variable Message Signs at Tackett's (saw it this morning) and Horner directing commuters to FBC.

In addition, PWC has placed signage (the kind that stick into the ground) at some of the lots (again, saw these at Tackett's) directing commuters to visit Slug-Lines.com for more information.

Hopefully this will help get the work out!
pcr29 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcr29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 10:19am
I've seen the signs that Admin mentioned, if someone has not - they live in their own world.
I went to the church this morning, 7:50, only a few empty cars, waited and nothing, did i go to the church too early/late?
I ended parking at the old Tacketts lot by McDonalds, I will try the church again tomorrow.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:14am
I have seen the signs too - however, I think they all just say "Alt Parking 13600 Minnieville Road" with no further information (like First Baptist Church lot). Could this be why people are still not going there? The commentary I heard from other slugs since the signs went up were, "where is that?"

I drive by it on my way to Tackett's, and as much as I really want to use this lot, I continue to pass it by only because there are no cars (riders or drivers) there! I'm afraid to stop and park there in no one will pick me up.

FBC Drivers - are you out there?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:52am
Commuter shuttle no help in filling church lot (InsideNova.com):

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/may/24/commuter-shuttle-no-help-filling-church-lot-ar-1061762/
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 3:22pm
quote:
Originally posted by shorty5646

Commuter shuttle no help in filling church lot (InsideNova.com):

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/may/24/commuter-shuttle-no-help-filling-church-lot-ar-1061762/

I can not believe that VDOT is paying almost $300,000 a year for this lot! That is over $1,000 a day (weekdays only) for a lot that just sits there otherwise. That comes out to about $50 per car from what I have seen. It is cheaper to park in downtown DC. Then they don't do anything to make it a good place to commute to (I am usually home by the 7:00 shuttle). I drive by this, the Dale City lot, and an empty commuter lot on Hillendale every single day because I like to be home by 6:30. The bus takes too long to get to these lots, and slugs are like a herd of cats (no offense meant) which means it will take years of work to get a fully functioning slug line to this location. I guess the good news is that it is hopefully only temporary and will end when they finally expand the Horner Rd lot (whatever that means).
Lar View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:02pm
Slugs need to boycott Horner and park at FBC lot. If you get desparate coming home ask the driver to drop off at FBC if they won't make a sign to display asking for a ride to FBC from Horner. People driving to Tackets sometimes drive through the horner lot to go to Tacketts. You might also consider a drop off at the shopping center across the street and placing the pick up spot at the long and foster office building area if it is allowed. Minnieville road is difficult to drive on because you stop at every light in order to get to Dale city. Turning right just adds to the delay. I think the only riders that can use the FBC lot are van pools. PWC probably had extra money earmarked for commuter parking that was the quickest way to spend it. I wonder if PWC even cares that the lot is not being used?

Slugs could also pile into one car and ride together to horner especially later In the morning when parking is limited at horner. A yahoo group dedicated to leaving FBC and arriving to FBC might help. I found the Navy Yard yahoo group helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic