Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WHERE is the 14th Street Slugline?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHERE is the 14th Street Slugline?
    Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 1:10pm
I circled blocks, waited at the old 14th and NY stop Tuesday afternoon...WHERE is the slugline? Did I just miss all the slugs, I got there at 5:15 PM and waited until 5:30... no slugs. ??

This is a shared system folks. Most of us were raised with manners, it's time to start using them.

XOXO- sluggin' girl
Rose14507 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose14507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 1:14pm
It moved to NY Ave between 14th and 15th st starting Monday Feb 28th. Hope this helps.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 4:44pm
[:)] Admin posted this on Feb 28th:

Washington Post Article on the 15th Street changes. Title is: Slug ride-sharing lines to move to New York Avenue

Here is the URL:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/26/AR2011022603190.html

By Kafia A. Hosh
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 26, 2011; 9:44 PM

The sluggers have spoken - again.

Beginning Monday, slug ride-sharing lines on 15th Street NW in the District will relocate for the second time in recent months because of commuter complaints that the site was too crowded and difficult to access.

Commuters gave input at a public meeting that the District Department of Transportation held in October. At the meeting, it was determined that the slug lines on 15th Street between H Street and New York Avenue limited the number of vehicles that could pick up sluggers because H Street is one-way, said John Lisle, a spokesman for the department.

"We got some great feedback from them about the location changes," Lisle said. "They actually suggested: 'What about here? Can you do it on New York Avenue instead of 15th?' "

The slug lines will move to a new location on New York Avenue, between 14th and 15th streets.

Passengers can be picked up between 3:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the new location, and transportation officials will be on site Monday to provide commuters with assistance.

The 15th Street spot was selected last year as a pilot location after the transportation department asked commuters for input on a new slugging spot. At the time, it was considered a preferred location compared with the busy 14th Street corridor, where some drivers were being ticketed for blocking rush-hour lanes.

But as it turned out, 15th Street had issues, too, because "it was kind of tight, and for the drivers to get over there was kind of a problem," said Dave LeBlanc, who runs the Web site www.slug-lines.com. "It really just wasn't a very good location from the start."

The New York Avenue site provides access directly off 14th Street and is easier to get to from other parts of the city. It is more spacious, too, with wider sidewalks for slug lines to form, LeBlanc said.

Stops for the Omniride bus routes, operated by the Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission , will also move Monday from 14th Street and New York Avenue to 15th Street and New York Avenue, where buses will be closer to the new slug-line location.

Omniride is another commuting option for sluggers, so it was critical to have the bus stops nearby, said Christine Rodrigo, a spokeswoman for the bus system.

"We have people who will slug in the mornings [and] will ride the bus home," Rodrigo said. "They need to be starting and ending in the same location."
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 9:15am
Now, I drove down NY & 14/15th...there were two lines there by the red brick bank..both were slug lines, but not for 610. All the slugs looked at me like I had two heads when I yelled out 610.

I am totally lost.
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:52am
AGAIN, last night, I looked for this new 610 slug line, didnt find it. Ended up getting a slug from the old location, even that slug said the new spot was hard to find and get too.

If anyone actually slugs or picks up from this spot, can you please give me a landmark of some sort. It has become quite frustrating. Thanks, GMHP

This is a shared system folks. Most of us were raised with manners, it's time to start using them.

XOXO- sluggin' girl
sluggaboo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 10:26pm
Did all of the slug lines move to the new 14th/15th and NY location? I've seen slugs at 14th & F looking for rides to Dumfries/234 and also to 610. I know the Dumfries/Montclair bus route did not move.
griffindj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffindj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 11:59am
@getmehomepweeze The red brick bank is the correct location for the new slug lines. There was probably just no one there for 610. I have slugged from all three locations (14th, 15th, and now NY) and the most popular lines are for woodbridge, (Horner, Potomac, Heckingers). I usually see one or two slugs waiting in line for a stafford lot but it's not uncommon to only see woodbridge lines. I guess its more established.

PS. I miss the old 14th and NY line from a passenger and driver perspective.
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 1:47pm
I myself, miss it too, if I slug, I metro to the P'Gon now. The folks in the 234 line by the 14th & NY line said that there are still 610 sluggers that utilize that line, just not like it was.

I went to the brick building line two different days and I agree, only P mills and somewhere else, I actually had slugs give me dirty looks and snicker because I asked for 610 riders. Oh well.
keelhauld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keelhauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 12:47pm
The line mid-block on 14th between G and F is for the 234 Commuter Lot. This link will take you to a map. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=38.897805,-77.032536&spn=0.001712,0.003849&z=19&msid=205724262273021309327.00049ed66f95d5608992c. More and more slugs are using this line, more drivers would be good but I think there is a combination of confusion as to line location and fear of getting a ticket while waiting for a slug. I have found a good solution to the latter problem is to do a right hand lap around the block if no slugs are immediately available. I have done it myself and found it quick and easy and a slug was waiting when I came around after just one lap. Signs help for both driver and slug and it doesn't hurt for drivers to ask bus riders lined up against the building. They often look meek and not so slug like but sometimes you can coax one for two to come with.

I believe you are correct that the other line closer to G Street is for the 610 lot but I don't use that line or lot so I will let someone who does speak to that.

quote:
Originally posted by sluggaboo

Did all of the slug lines move to the new 14th/15th and NY location? I've seen slugs at 14th & F looking for rides to Dumfries/234 and also to 610. I know the Dumfries/Montclair bus route did not move.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic