Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

State Police Parking Enforcement - April 4th!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: State Police Parking Enforcement - April 4th!!
    Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 4:20pm
I received this announcement from the State Police:

STATE POLICE ANNOUNCE PARKING

ENFORCEMENT CAMPAIGN IN COMMUTER LOTS

STAFFORD COUNTY To protect the safety of motorists and pedestrians, Virginia State Police will next week begin a special parking enforcement campaign in two Stafford County commuter lots. The concentrated operation will target the commuter parking lots located on Staffordborough Boulevard and Mine Road in the Garrisonville area of Stafford County.

This special enforcement effort stems from numerous citizen complaints about the hazardous, illegal parking of vehicles in and around both commuter lots, said Virginia State Police F/Sgt. Keith H. Hairston, Fredericksburg/Stafford County Area Commander. This is not the first time state police has had to initiate an enforcement campaign to gain drivers compliance with posted parking rules and regulations.

Numerous vehicles are illegally parked each day in both the Staffordborough Boulevard and Mine Road commuter lots that impede vehicles in travel lanes, or impair a drivers sight distance. School buses and other passenger vehicles that must navigate the lots are restricted by these illegally parked vehicles. On many occasions vehicles have been illegally parked when there are still available parking spaces. In addition, in the event of a medical emergency, illegally parked vehicles could restrict emergency vehicle access.

Beginning Monday, April 4, 2011, VDOT will be posting message boards in both commuter lots to notify drivers in advance of the campaign. As a warning and an effort to educate commuters utilizing the lots, the Virginia State Police will be placing flyers on vehicles that are illegally parked during the week of April 4.

The enforcement campaign begins the morning of Monday, April 11, 2011. Vehicles found illegally parked pursuant to Code of Virginia 46.2-1219.2 will receive a notice on the vehicle, and a parking ticket will be issued and mailed to the vehicles registered owner.

Illegally parked vehicles are defined as the following:

Vehicles parked in areas posted or marked with No Parking signage.

Vehicles parked in landscaped areas not intended for vehicle parking.

Vehicles parked illegally in a travel lane that obstructs traffic. These vehicles will be ticketed and towed from the lot at the vehicle owners expense.

Additional commuter parking space is available at other lots in the Fredericksburg area, including lots at Courthouse Road and U.S. 17 in Stafford County.

Sergeant F. L. Tyler

Public Information Officer

Virginia State Police

15148 State Police Road

Culpeper, VA 22701

Office: 540-829-7713

Pager: 540-370-9284

Email Address: www.frederick.tyler@vsp.virginia.gov

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 8:53am
Wonderful. Instead of addressing THE PROBLEM, which is the ridiculously insufficient amount of commuter parking spaces, the state decides to attack THE SYMPTOM, which is cars being parked illegally because there are not enough legal spaces.

What are school buses doing in those lots anyway?
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 12:03pm
^

Instead of attacking the problem, which is all the jobs are in D.C. and people live in the suburbs, we make another problem, building insufficient parking lots in the suburbs so that we can STILL enjoy rush hour traffic.

We live in the 21st century... The internet and video teleconferencing have been around for decades. There is NO NEED for every government office to be right next door to each other.

How about have some departments of the government run a night shift from 3PM to 11PM or 11PM to 7AM...
I'm sure my taxes don't need to be processed at the IRS at the same time as everyone elses...
The DOT can evaluate crash test standards at night...
The FDA doesn't have to run drug research during the day...
So on and so forth.

I'm sure most people's work isn't very labor intensive either. Most people are desk jockeys, pushing paper. (Whatever happened to electronic records and paperwork reduction?) Many people could be teleworking all week.

I'm pretty sure that this place is organized and run by retards and that's why we're in this mess.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 9:45am
FINALLY. It is SO dangerous in these lots because of folks who park wherever they want. I've been caught on a commuter bus that had to manuver around these rude folks cars.

@ Pele- just an FYI, IRS does process taxes on a night shift.

The commuter lots need a re-evaluation- the amount of spaces that are currently available can be better utilized by repainting the lanes:

motorcycle parking lanes- one motorcycle does not necessarily need one whole car-sized parking space.

Commuter van parking spaces- some of these vans are so large they take up 1.5 spaces length wise.

AND, tear up the dang trees- I dont give a flying rats rear end if there is a stinking cherry blossom tree in the parking lot to make it pretty. We dont need pretty, we need SPACE.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 1:10pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze

@ Pele- just an FYI, IRS does process taxes on a night shift.

Good to know... Now if we can get other offices to do the same, traffic would be a lot lighter.

quote:

AND, tear up the dang trees- I dont give a flying rats rear end if there is a stinking cherry blossom tree in the parking lot to make it pretty. We dont need pretty, we need SPACE.

What lot do you park at? Horner Rd is pretty efficient, except for the big mounds of dirt between the old and new portions of the lot.

I never really weighed in on my opinion of this though... On one hand, I'm glad that there will be more police patrols of the lots. I'd rather have my car watched over so that people don't steal parts, fuel, or stuff from the interior.

On the other hand, they need to not ticket for BS like no front license plate or parking on the grass, and ticket for legitimate illegal parking that disrupts traffic flow.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
elisabeth64 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elisabeth64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 2:01pm
It is amazing the number of vehicles parked in the "striped" areas of the Staffordborough lot early in the morning when the lot is still half empty.

I will also be grateful to be able to get out of the lot in the evening without fear of hitting someone because a parked vehicle is blocking my view.
J-Staff View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Staff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 2:02pm
From last weeks newspaper;

Virginia Secretary of Transportation Sean T. Connaughton announced a multi-million dollar initiative for the expansion of commuter parking facilities in the Fredericksburg region today to meet overwhelming demand along the Interstate 95 corridor.

Three projects will add up to 3,000 new parking spaces in the region. As many as 1,000 parking spaces will be added to an existing Virginia Department of Transportation commuter lot at Staffordborough Boulevard near Garrisonville Road in Stafford County. Another 1,000 parking spaces are planned for a VDOT commuter lot at the intersection of Gordon Road and Route 3 in Spotsylvania County, and 1,000 parking spaces at a planned Virginia Railway Express train station in Spotsylvania.

In case anyone cares!
swannaws View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swannaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 9:07am
I got a warning yesterday for parking in the grass at the back of the Mine Rd lot.
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 3:54pm
I utilze both 610 lots, the Mine Road lot has too much wooded areas and landscaped trees that could be utilized as spaces.

The folks who drive up over the curbs and park in the mud- they are not blocking traffic patterns or making visual obstacles that cause dangerous vision for other drivers. Its the jerks, who park anywhere and as close as possible to other cars that need a good, fat, hefty parking ticket.

I cant tell you how many times I've wanted to take one of those soap markers and write things like "rude" and "jerk" on all the illegally parked cars..lol....(nobody do that please.)

Oh, and another BTW, the IRS in DC DOES NOT PROCESS TAXES! That is what service centers are for. :)
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 3:57pm
quote:
Originally posted by elisabeth64

It is amazing the number of vehicles parked in the "striped" areas of the Staffordborough lot early in the morning when the lot is still half empty.

I will also be grateful to be able to get out of the lot in the evening without fear of hitting someone because a parked vehicle is blocking my view.

I so agree, I watched one idiot park his car in the big fat yellow lanes, while there was more than enough parking for him in the rest of the lot. I've also almost been hit as a pedestrian walking to my car because of these stupid illegally parked folks.

Can y'all tell I'm a bit peeved after 10 years of slugging?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic