Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is it really like to slug in?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukiltmybrutha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is it really like to slug in?
    Posted: 18 May 2011 at 1:37pm
Just like anything real, nothing is like it appears on paper. Based upon my interactions in the DC area over the years, I am slow in asking questions because I always get a look from hell. It gets old after a while. So say I follow the guide here, am I going to encounter any confusion? Do they always call out the destination and number of riders? How do you know where to sit (front/back) without creating confusion. I am sure that the vast majority of people slug in
without reading any of this and survive but I confuse easily. It stinks when people won't assist you with a simple question because you haven't been lucky enough to work in the same place since 1970.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 2:29pm
LOL - I only started slugging about a year ago, so I know how it feels to be lost and confused! Luckily, I had friends who have been doing it for years and were able to show me the ropes.

The best thing to do (in my opinion) is to learn what you can from this website - figure out where you're going to park to get where you're going, what time to get there, where the lines are, slugging ettiquette, etc etc etc - and then try it! It definitely seems overwhelming at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes routine and you'll figure it all out as you go.

To answer the questions you asked here - there may occassionally be confusion when you slug, with less experienced slugs/drivers, rude people (they're out there!), and that sort of thing but I think that is to be expected with anything, right?

Unless the line only goes to one location, the driver usually says their destination, and then the first slug(s) in line will convey that to the rest of the line if they are not going to that same destination. So if the driver is going to the Pentagon and the first 2 slugs in line are also going to the Pentagon, they would just get in and go. If they weren't, they would call out the destination for other slugs who might be going there, too.

Generally, each driver only takes 2 slugs, so that they can access HOV. Sometimes you can ask if they will take a third passenger - this is helpful when there is a lack of drivers going to your destination and the line is long, or it's getting late (ie, close to 9am or 6pm when HOV restrictions are lifted). Some drivers will take a third, if they have room - others won't, regardless of whether they do or don't! It's their preference either way.

As far as who sits in the front or back - I think it is pretty much understood that the first slug in line gets their choice, and the back passenger seat is highly coveted. Sometimes though, it just makes more sense for slugs to get in wherever is closest to where they are standing. If you aren't the first in line, I think a good rule of thumb would be to see where the first slug goes and then take the other option.

I hope that helps - good luck!
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 2:56pm
I have been slugging for about 18 months now. I have found that most people standing in line are friendly and happy to help. I suppose it may have something to do with the personality make up of people who are willing to stand for 20 minutes in rain, snow and horrendous heat! They're a fairly patient bunch and I doubt very much anyone would give you "the look"! Occasionally there are hiccups, but generally I have found it quite civilized. Be sure to read the etiquette, get there good and early on the first few days to see how the timing works and how fast the parking lot fills up, and then adjust your routine accordingly and good luck!
Beth Pagni View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Pagni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 3:39pm
I have only been slugging for a few months and have found that
other slugs have been very helpful..even smiling when I ask alot of questions. you will eventually run into the same people if you slug the same time every day. I've gotten alot of great advice, and I agree...be patient...allow yourself time and DO ask questions. Everyone starts out as a new slug at one time or another. It's a great system, and given the price of gas these days...it saves alot of $. I've been in cars that are quiet...and other cars that I've laughed and chatted the whole way home. I also found that this site gave me alot of really important information.

Good Luck, and Happy Slugging!
ukiltmybrutha View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukiltmybrutha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:37am
Thank you all for your time and patience. Hopefully the majority is as alright as you have been. I will share my experiences once I gather them! I appreciate you all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic