Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

George Barker Still Hates Slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 6:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bodybykids

NoSUV

If you are against slugging, why are you on this board with 1000+ posts?

If I am going to stand in line and pay the $15 per day it would take to use the bus and metro to get to work, I might as well drive my car and pick up 2 - 3 slugs.

If using the bus/metro were cost effective it might be a viable option.

At this time, PRTC has made it quite clear that the resources are not there to add more buses to their fleet and PWC will not see "metro" in the area any time in the forseeable future.

Please don't feed the troll.
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 8:19am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

quote:
Originally posted by Bodybykids

NoSUV

If I am going to stand in line and pay the $15 per day it would take to use the bus and metro to get to work, I might as well drive my car and pick up 2 - 3 slugs.

If using the bus/metro were cost effective it might be a viable option.

My point EXACTLY! If HOV could be banned, you'd be stuck actually paying for your commute. That would lead to all of the benefits listed previously - especially providing a source of transportation revenue.

And like ObamaCare, if more use something, the price goes down.

NoSUV.....my reply is not your point exactly. People are going to drive REGARDLESS. Commuter Buses provided "options" but they are not always the right option. Commuter Buses add an additional at minimun of 20 min to my commute. Taking a "bus" and "metro" is not economically feasible for me or plenty of others. It is less costly to "slug-ride" or "slug-drive". When I drive, I always take "3". Thats 3 other vehicles off the road.

I find that the opposite is true - THE MORE YOU USE SOMETHING, THE MORE EXPENSIVE IT GETS.

You definitely have a warped sense of thinking.

Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 12:01pm
quote:

Remember, if hybrid owners stood in line for and took a bus instead of being freeloaders, we would:
- have cleaner air
- use less gas
- reduce congestion by 60%
- have funding for transportation improvements

Fixed for truth...
I really couldn't have said it better myself.

So nice that you see it realistically now.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 1:45am
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

quote:

Remember, if hybrid owners stood in line for and took a bus instead of being freeloaders, we would:
- have cleaner air
- use less gas

Fixed for truth...
I really couldn't have said it better myself.

So nice that you see it realistically now.

Times to beat:

Actually, Pele, the way you wrote it is a lie - you really wouldn't know the truth, now would you. You must be in politics.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 5:01am
^ I could ask you the same thing since you don't ever seem to see things logically.

Times to beat:
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 12:05pm
Returning to the original topic:

If you guys are interested in voting for someone who knows the slug system quite well, you ought to consider voting for Miller Baker (Barker's opponent). I worked with him for nine years. Miller used to pick up slugs every day from the Horner Road line until he and his wife moved across the river to Clifton.
marchf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 12:39pm
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by colossus911

I griped about this since he was elected but just wanted to throw the reminder out there since he is up for reelect. Since his election Sen. George Barker has done nothing to help slugs or slugging.

Sen. George Barker Hates Slugs and Slugging

One of his very first votes was to extend the Hybrid exemption for HOV lanes to allow single passenger hybrids to continue using HOV lanes. Regardless that increasing gas prices are resulting in more and more vehicles are crowding the HOV lanes and slowing the commute.

And every year since Sen. Barker has proven through his votes that he hates the SLUG system and instead supports Hybrid drivers and big developers. All of this at the expense of those of us trapped in traffic behind all the single drivers in the HOV lanes.

I would urge you to email him at district39@sov.state.va.us, however he hasn't responded to my repeated emails but you might have more luck.

Remember, if slugs stood in line for and took a bus instead of being freeloaders, we would:
- have cleaner air
- use less gas
What we REALLY need is for more enlightened legislators like Sen Barker, who are willing to stand up to the slug lobby and advocate the more sensible commuting alternative. If only we could do away with the HOV exemption in the express lanes and make them for mass transit and hybrids only, then we would finally have a transportation solution that would be the envy of the world.

Has anyone else noticed that no other community uses the slug system? And that every other community has a better commute? It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize the clear cause and effect.

This is America; we can slug, take a bus, sit in traffic, or drive a big fat SUV to werk. If ewe don't like it, then leave. Move to Cuba or China and ride ewe bus there with the goats and chickens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic