Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ZZZZzzz... please watch your drivers!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisad219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZZZZzzz... please watch your drivers!
    Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 7:43am
Recently WTOP issued a story that drowzy driving is the #1 cause of tragic accidents. This morning I witnessed that first hand. I was picked up at the Horner Lot with Pentagon as my destination. At first the driver was fine and I just kind of zoned out. Then I was notice we would be far back in the left lane and he would zoom up to catch up and then again and again this would happen... falling back (slowing down) and then speeding up. Almost like he was dozing off. When we got around Shirlington I opened my eyes to see us heading toward the guard rail and then he jerked the wheel. (My eyes had been closed so now I am wondering what else I have missed.) By now I am completely freaked out. A few minutes later traffic has come to almost a complete stop aroudhnj Glebe and he is flying towards it at about 60.. no braking... When we were close enough where I thought if I didn't say something we were all going to die I said "SIR!" And then he braked.

I am usually not a complainer, I don't like to "rant", but word of warning to all of you. Please keep eyes on your drivers. I would hate to see any accidents caused by this.

DRIVERS: IF YOU ARE TOO TIRED TO DRIVE, STAY OFF THE ROADS!
Our Mom Spot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Our Mom Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 10:09am
Oh my god... Glad you arrived alive.

Unfortunately, there's no way to know whether a driver is OK when we get in the car.

Does anyone have any idea what they would do if their driver is drowsy? Would you ask to be let out of the car on the side of the road? Would you offer to drive?

What would you do?

----------
Are you a mom?
Visit www.OurMomSpot.net ... a safe place for moms to have fun, LOL, & connect with other moms!
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 10:29am
quote:
Originally posted by Our Mom Spot
What would you do?

I would offer to drive.
KennyP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 1:26pm
I had a similar incident while slugging. My driver began to doze off and after the second doze, I began talking to her so she wouldn't doze off again. I violated one of the major slug rules!!
lisad219 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisad219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 2:03pm
Well, it was really nice of you to talk to her, but you are much nicer than me in this situation. I was fuming mad. [:(!] It's like, how dare you put my life in your irresponsible hands? Have a cup of coffee before leaving the house.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 2:14pm
I've had several instances where the slugs were much more awake than the driver. It's scary sitting in the back seat and watching in the rear view mirror as their eyes close.

I haven't said anything directly to them but I would usually cough, make a noise with my backpack, something to redirect them when it looked like they were starting to zone out completely. There's nothing wrong with engaging them in conversation if you think that's the only thing that will keep them awake.
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 12:21pm
I learned as soon as I started slugging that if I were to keep my eyes open I would have a nervous breakdown the entire trip, almost every day, with the insane tailgaiting done by drivers, not to mention the speeding by some, and the weaving in and out, the telephoning etc. I have decided to just close my eyes and go to sleep. I have to hope that the drivers have a desire to stay alive and that, so far, I haven't heard of any cars with slugs in them crashing. I put on my seat belt and hope for the best!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic