Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug Etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktwin7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slug Etiquette
    Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 10:32am
Does slug ettiquette no longer exist or just common courtesy? On 10/14/2014 at the pentagon the most horrid smelling man got into my car, I had dropped him off at Stafford 610 lot. It was the longest ride ever and I could not get there quick enough. Now I dont have the nicest car but it doesnt smell like death either. This morning a woman yawned extremely loud the whole trip up and did not cover her mouth while coughing. Now, I do not want to pick up slugs anymore and willing to sit in traffic for hours to avoid the aggravation and discomfort.

Is it uncommon to refuse a slug a ride for personal hygieene? I know there will be sleepy people but not covering your mouth with the scare of spreading diseases how do you handle that and what if they get irrate can we put them out if they choose not to comply?

If you have a rude comment and will not be helpful, please keep the comments to yourself.

LaKisha Tennon
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 11:26am
I've been slugging from 610 to the Pentagon for 12 years and I think what you've experienced is the exception to the rule. I've rarely ridden with anyone that had odor issues and yes, you do get the person with the persistent cough or annoying yawns but seriously most slugs I've ridden with are very quiet.

Usually the most obnoxious smells are the smoker that just finished a cig before getting in and the woman that took a perfume bath but again those have been extremely rare.

You can refuse a slug a ride but I'm not sure I've seen it for hygiene. Again very rare but can be done. Usually slugs will refuse rides with certain drivers once you get to see them regularly based on past driving or near-death experiences.

I would encourage you to not give up on slugging as I believe you will find no issues with most slugs.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 11:47am
I can truly understand your discomfort. I recently picked up someone who bathed in aftershave. It was too cool to circulate air in the car but too warm for the heat, not that I would have wanted to turn the heat on, warming up this aftershave would have made it worse and when I opened the window a crack the passenger in the back started to cough so I closed the window. By the time I arrived at the destination of HIS choosing (I was told as we approached the city that he wanted to be dropped off around the corner from where I had announced that I was going, which wasn't a truly safe spot and inconvenient for me) I had a terrible headache, my car smelled for days and it took most of the day to get the smell out of my nose. I only accommodated him because I wanted to be able to open the windows and breathe. There have been times when cars have pulled up at the Pentagon and asked if you were a non-smoker or if you wore perfume so I can't see why you can't do that. I have heard people say they have refused rides to certain people - now these were men and honestly I'm not sure as a female I would feel safe doing that.

There was at one time a code of etiquette. Often the slugs I pick up will move my seat and not return it to where it was, and sometimes expect to be dropped off at a location that is good for them. I agree that generally most people who slug get in the car and sleep in both directions but there are people who are choosing to ignore the basic code of conduct. I think the only way that will change is for people to speak up, not be rude but be professional about it. I try to be courteous to slugs in my car, I tell them if it's too hot or too cold to please let me know, that they can open a window and I keep the speakers off in the back and the radio only loud enough for me to hear it.

When I slug, which is most days, I get into a car and deal with whatever the conditions are - loud or offensive radio, no AC with windows up (which has happened), seats pushed back so far that even as a short person I was in a lot of discomfort. I wish I didn't have to slug but it's the only affordable method of commuting to work that I have. It is a good system when you live in a state that does not support affordable mass transit or counties that turn a blind eye to the congestion and do nothing to support those who wish to use mass transit. But some people need a refresher course on what it means to be courteous on both sides, driver and passenger.
ktwin7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktwin7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 5:23pm
Thank you for you messages and advice, it was better this week.

LaKisha Tennon
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 10:02am
Slugging etiquette is always present. You have to tolerate some rare annoying behavior if you drive or slug. Unfortunately, it's not apparent until the car door closes. Once in the car, you have no recourse but to tolerate it. That's part of the system; you can't leave slugs on the side of the road. A person cannot be asked to smell pleasant during the ride but you can remind someone to cough into their sleeve. They may not comply, but you can always try.

The next time, before you enter the car as a slug and recognize someone you cannot tolerate, refuse to enter. As a driver, politely refuse slugs that you cannot tolerate. Since you have a small range of tolerance with people's behavior, you need to be proactive but not rude. I can tolerate a lot (like stinky people) where it's still unpleasant and disgusting but I can put up with it for the short ride.

Most people are courteous and clean.

I never considered "will move my seat and not return it to where it was". I have no idea "where it was" is located since seats have nor markers.

Goober
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic