Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kingstowne / Manchester Lakes  / Springfield Mall
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kingstowne / Manchester Lakes / Springfield Mall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingstowne / Manchester Lakes / Springfield Mall
    Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 11:33am
Hello All,

I'm a newbie to "slugging". I just started working in DC again after many years working in the 'burbs and commute into DC solo in the a.m. but sitting on I-395 at 4:15 pm just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Ergo, I decided to pick up riders (slugs) in the evening and it's working quite well for me, thus far.

I've scoured slug-lines.com for the various destinations in / around Springfield as I live in the direction of Kingstowne. The most convenient location I've found is "Bob's" and, as mentioned, that works quite well.

I've seen what I believe is a(n) (very old) announcement for starting a slug line at Springfield Mall (now known as Springfield Towne Center) adjacent to the parking garage at Macy's / Dick's Sporting Goods (Regal Theater) bordering on Spring Mall Road and Frontier Drive. Interestingly enough, this is an offical "Park and Ride" location. From what I've gathered through reading the site, this never really got off the ground. Is that true or is this location currently "active"? If this location is active, where are the drop off and pickup locations in DC?

In addition to that, I also saw a forum message about possibly wanting to start a slug-line in Kingstowne at / near the Kohl's. I don't know if anyone ever followed through with finding out whether Kohl's or any property management would permit parking. Through my own recent research, however, I have learned that there is indeed a "Park and Ride" location located at the Apple Federal Credit Union on Sir Viceroy Drive - which is immediately adjacent to Kohl's located between Kohl's and Walmart. They apparently have 12 parking spaces at the Apple FCU dedicated for "Park and Ride" commuters. Here is a link via the Fairfaxcounty.gov website which seems to support this claim. I have not been able to reach the Apple FCU branch manager, however, to completely verify this information (if she would answer her phone, that'd help).
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/parkandrides/applefcu.htm

I'd certainly like to hear from anyone interested in being dropped off at Kingstowne leaving DC around 4-4:15 pm from the Chinatown and or L'enfant Plaza (7th & D St) locations.

In addition, is it O.K. to park at any of these "Park and Ride" locations if one intends to "slug" (in particular the P&R's located at Metro stations?). If so, how does that work?

If anyone would care to share their knowledge and shed some light on these things, I'd be most appreciative.

BTW, other "Park and Ride" locations can be found here: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/parkandrides/#1
bsarumi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsarumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 10:16pm
Hello,
I also posted something similar no response. Anyway I work at the Homeland on G and 3rd street. I slug from Bobs as I live across from the springfield plaza. I walk from Gallery Place to my building which is 7 mins so if you want to carpool together that will be awesome. I can't park in the space until December due to funding for new employees.So if you want to drive we can split cost. I work 8-4..Like I said I slug with no problem but coming back is a pain because I can't find any in Gallery going to Bobs and I do not want to take the train to pentagon...let me know..My 1st week so far so good.

LBS
dyk123 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyk123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 8:37am
I live in Kingstowne and this would be perfect except I'm not out of work until 5:00/5:30pm leaving L'enfant area.

If a morning pick up at Springfield mall or closer to the Springfield metro could be arranged I'd be down for it. It makes it easier to get home in the afternoon if nobody can pick me up in the evening since I get off work so close to the time that HOV opens up for everyone.
GregP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 12:12pm
bsarumi: did you ever get your parking situation taken care of?

dyk123: I pretty much only HOV in the evening. I might be persuaded to drive HOV in the morning from Kingstowne if we have 2 or 3 other people. I'd have to leave at 6:45am, however, as my designated start time is 0730.

It'd be nice if we could get a steady group of people together for either the Kingstowne or the back of Springfield Mall (back of JC Penny's at Spring Road - adjacent to the parking garage) as these are designated "Park & Ride" locations.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 3:27pm
Years ago, a friend of mine caught rides when the line started at Springfield Mall. While she had no problems catching a ride in the morning, the evening was another story. She never heard any driver call out Springfield Mall (she caught a ride to Bob's and then a bus to the mall). She gave up after a week and started slugging from Bob's again. When she saw a Springfield Mall driver at Bob's, he asked why the line disappeared and she told him there were no drivers in the evening. He thought it was a morning slug line only; riders could take the bus from Bob's or the subway to the mall.

Needless to say, that slug line barely got up and running before riders abandoned it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic