Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Website/Forums redesign?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasWar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Website/Forums redesign?
    Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 11:43am
I feel like I am in the 90's when browsing the website and the forum. I know it is functional, but we are in the year 2015 and as a web developer I just think it is not right.

I think if we want to increase traffic and awareness of slugging it should be more attractive to the eye. Unless we are taking the Craigslist approach, however the website should be more friendly to newcomers. This is just my opinion of course.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 8:05am
I would think it has something to do with cost. This site is maintained as a free service to those who slug. I would guess all those bells and whistles cost to maintain them on a monthly basis. While it might not be the most cutting edge site, it is practical for it's purpose to provide a free forum for the slugs/drivers. I know that when you send updated information to the webmaster it is dealt with in a timely fashion.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:26am
Thomas, I agree the site is probably "old school" but that is all I know (which was out of one of those Website for Dummies books!) Eao, you are exactly correct. Although I would love to have a better site with more features, it does come with a cost and time...which I have neither. One day I hope to create a non-profit organization for slugging and then I may be able to compete for state/federal grants. I just have to set aside time to do all the paperwork.

Thanks,
Dave
KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 7:54am
To the Admin.
Your efforts are appreciated, even if we (slugs) don't say it enough. The site may be "old school" but it cost effectively and functionally serves the purpose and is easy to find and access.

KeithO
GregP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:20am
I'm relatively new to slugging. However, this site, in all its simplicity, has been an invaluable resource and I think it should stay simple. However, there is a fair amount of information that should be updated such as status updates on the slug locations as some older ones have significantly slowed or appear to no longer exist and new ones have been started.

In addition to the aforementioned, ANY information not posted on the message board / forum (with the exceptions of perhaps the pages containing "Slugging Etiquette / Rules" and "Slugging Terms") should contain the date the information was posted so people will know how recent it is. There is information on the site that is no longer accurate - in particular information contained under the links of the "Morning and Afternoon Slug Lines". If anyone new to the site views the Home page, there is plenty of info but no one will ever figure out how recent or accurate it is just by reading the page. Just look at the headlines "New Navy Yard Slug Lines" and any of the ones below that. Unless someone follows this site with any regularity, it's just info that may or may not be up-to-date.

I've already addressed this with the Admin. a few months ago and hope he updates the info. I understand that it takes some effort but the beauty of this site is its functionality because it is reliable, insightful and simple.

In order for it to continue to be the prime resource for information about slugging, it needs to show it is current.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:36am
No one has that much time in their personal lives to do the paperwork to apply for grants. Based on the post on the home page - DOD and NAVSEA are much more supportive of slugging than the local municipalities. Anyone who has been waiting on line at Mine Rd this past week can attest to the mess due to the snow. It's unfortunate that you have to rely on word of mouth to get the information about this site out to people. It is a great resource and I try to talk it up as much as I can. I think I am going to mention the Navy Yard lines to the people at Mine Rd. to encourage them to go to the Staffordboro lot. Ever since the construction there has been a huge influx of Van Pools to the Mine Rd. lot and I understand of you arrive after 6:30 there is no parking. I don't think Stafford much cares about that but I realize it is an issue. Given that Mine Rd. is really the only place that far south that you can go to get a ride into DC and not have to leave from the Pentagon in the afternoons it is a 'hot spot' so to speak. This site is the only place where changes can come about because it is the only method for communication for slugs and drivers. It will only stay current if we keep the webmaster informed. As he illustrated without actually saying it, he does this out of the kindness of his heart in his spare time and he can't be everywhere to oversee everything.
ThomasWar View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasWar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:40am
I see a lot of potential on this website and the slugging community. I admire and applaud the Admin on maintaining such a site. Why put all the stress on you to update the website, shouldn't you leave it to the community?

I am concerned that there might be outdated data on the site. Like eao said the best sure way to go is word of mouth. A modern approach could be by creating a dedicated Reddit sub, which I was not able to find, in which were people can report and maintain the status of such morning and afternoon lines, just an idea that I think it's worth to look into.

This forum works well too, but I don't see as many people reporting the status and driver/slug ratio. I am going to try the slug life for the very first time this Monday. I hope to help the community by contributing my experience.

Wish me luck!
Thomas

www.thomasrosales.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic