Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I-66 HOV-3 Plan Gaining Steam -- Slugging to come?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I-66 HOV-3 Plan Gaining Steam -- Slugging to come?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natsslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I-66 HOV-3 Plan Gaining Steam -- Slugging to come?
    Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 3:03pm
VDOT did a presentation today on its proposal to toll ALL lanes of I-66 inside the beltway during peak travel times, with an exception for HOV-3.

These lanes would be operated by the state -- not privatized like the 95/495 express lanes -- and all revenue generated would be used to make improvements on those lanes (such as offering more bus service).

Keep in mind that outside the beltway, VDOT Is also proposing privatized express lanes with an HOV-3 exception, but would still have "free" lanes until you got to the beltway.

Transportation reporters are indicating on Twitter that the inside-the-beltway plan is endorsed by Arlington and Fairfax county officials.

The goal is to begin both these projects by 2017.

Seems to me that this could finally spur slugging on I-66. If this is the case, advocates should put pressure on our elected officials to invest in facilitating slugging. Build and/or expand commuter lots, work with privatized lots to offer commuting spaces, etc.

I am keeping a close eye on this because I currently live in Fairfax and slug via the Rolling Valley Mall lot. I live 5 miles from I-66, and 10 miles from I-395. Due to I-66 being such a disaster, I opt to slug on I-395 despite it being further away. But having options on I-66 could change that, especially since I work on the western end of the city.

Any thoughts on this from others?

Here's VDOT's website outlining the proposed improvements: http://www.transform66.org/splash.html
TBill View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 12:59am
As I understood it, the inside Beltway 66HOT3 starts by 2017 and they seem to be floating the idea of taking it Westerly at the same time, I assume they are saying before Fluor does their project. I am not an HOV user, but note that could eliminate free HOV for hybrids for most except the small stretch of I395 Edsall to DC, and a few other routes of lesser importance in terms of driving hybrid sales in NoVA.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 5:20pm
As I understand it, the current inside the beltway I-66 requirement is HOV-2 with some motorcycle and hybrid exemptions. If this goes to HOT-3, that means that nearly 100% of the current riders will need to change their commuting pattern: they must change to add a rider, they must pay money, or they must find an alternate route. Unlike the I-95 project, where commuters were already doing HOV-3.

Imagine if it became HOV-6 for I-95 or pay a toll? That's what commuters on I-66 are facing.
tikibar View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 9:15am
I agree, commuters are going to have to adapt. We have the seed of a slug line system planted at Cushing Road Commuter lot. Lots of riders, not many drivers right now. I regularly pickup two every morning for the ride in and two in the afternoon for the trip back, so demand is there. Once HOV-3 kicks in, I hope we will see more drivers participating.
albertofennema View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albertofennema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 9:49pm
For those who need to have this game but didn't have significantly alternative aluminum inside the instruction routine,this website www.wowgold2u.com can assist you to quite a lot and you could absolutely completely comply with thier tweets or youtube . com or fb or myspace for far less expensive or marketing and advertising software application laptop or computer method tip, just succeeding 7 days searching for, i really do really feel it's the very first carrying out workday a few hours to assist you know that site the web website is for Incredible playsers. That's your best choice if you are looking for cheap and safe WOW gold!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic