Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blasted Out by a Lexus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blasted Out by a Lexus
    Posted: 24 Sep 2003 at 5:24am
The following comment was sent to me for posting...

Is it too much to ask of drivers to turn down their back speakers? I
have been both a driver and a rider, and as a driver I would NEVER blast anyone out with my radio. I have never had anyone resent being in my car, because I try to show them a little courtesy. It's a mutual situation, we're helping each other, and all the rider asks is a peaceful ride to work or home.
As a rider, I would gladly sit without a word if I could have the same courtesy. Instead, I am routinely assaulted by people's radio noise--wailing music, hyper announcers, yelling commercials, whatever--at the top decibel. Usually I just put up with it, but twice recently I have gotten into a car and up went the radio to an uncomfortably high level. Each time the driver was a woman, and when I asked gently if they had the ability to turn down the back
speakers, which I know they did, they each became hostile and turned
the noise UP, rather than down. One gave me a lecture on how important she was and how nobody messes with her. Is that necessary? I was asking no more of them than I would ask of myself. I wasn't making a negative comment about their taste in radio. I just happen to have very acute hearing (maybe because I have not blasted myself out all these years), and it is literally painful to endure that volume level, regardless of the programming. Even with earplugs it was almost unbearable. I'm not asking them to turn it off, just down. I don't understand why that is taken as an insult by these drivers. Why don't they stay in the slow lane if they have to have high-volume surround sound on the way to work. On the bright side, the other
night, BEFORE I got in a car I tried asking the gentleman at the wheel if he had the ability to mute his back speakers. He laughed and said no but he wouldn't mind turning down the radio if I didn't mind no a/c. Fine by me. I really appreciated his understanding, and I suppose I had some negotiating room since I had not yet entered the car. It's too bad that common courtesy has to be negotiated. I think the following should be added to the rules of etiquette: "Drivers, turn off your back speakers." Otherwise, the "Slugs
don't talk" rule is entirely unfair.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2003 at 7:40am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]The following comment was sent to me for posting...

Is it too much to ask of drivers to turn down their back speakers? ...twice recently I have gotten into a car and up went the radio to an uncomfortably high level. Each time the driver was a woman, and when I asked gently if they had the ability to turn down the back speakers, which I know they did, they each became hostile and turned the noise UP, rather than down. One gave me a lecture on how important she was and how nobody messes with her...

Could you ask your correspondent for more information? Where do these drivers pick up? What kind of cars do they drive? Some description can provide welcome warning for riders. I've said "pass" before when the situation looked bad (open air Jeep, car looked unsafe, driver crushed out cigarette as she pulled up to the stop, angry driver, etc). Given the scenario described, I'd rather trudge off to the bus stop than have to ride with my fingers in my ears for an hour. There are always riders behind me who will tolerate what I won't, so it works out.
karmapolice View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karmapolice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2003 at 8:30am
quote:
Why don't they stay in the slow lane if they have to have high-volume surround sound on the way to work.

That was funny! I feel for this guy. I'm a bit worried myself if I play my music loud. But if I lower it too much then I can't hear it. I would really appreciate it if my slugs tell me to turn down the volume because I do care for their comfort.

This topic is one of my worst fears as a driver.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2003 at 11:08am
I've been reading as many threads as I can (when I have time [;)]), and can't but think sometimes that there are some slugs who want others to conform to their standars and wishes. O.K., I can understand someone's radio being a little too loud. But asking someone to "mute" the rear speakers because of a slug's "acute" sense of hearing. I personally believe that's asking a little too much of the driver. Lowering the volume is one thing. Muting all together is another.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2003 at 4:05pm
I had one slug one time go one step further and ask me to mute the bass (lower) frequencies of the radio!! At first I complied slightly. I DO have a factory installed sub woofer in the back of my car, so I turned it down halfway, thinking he might have had a headache or something. He pretty much asked me to turn it down the whole way and I'm thinkin', you've gotta be kidding me!! Have you ever listened to the radio with only high and mid frequencies coming out of the speakers? If you have, you probably called it AM radio. I wasn't about to be annoyed by that noise the whole way home, esp. in my own car!! I just looked at him in the rearview mirror for a while and switched off the radio. I tried to meet him halfway, but there really is no pleasing some people.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2003 at 4:46pm
Some people may be interested to know that there are medical conditions that can make a person's hearing more senistive or tender than others, especially to the low frequencies. [:0]

My son has nerve deafness in one ear (a hearing aid would be useless), so his other ear has become more sensitive to "compensate". "Loud" noises which wouldn't affect others (like an idling lawn mower, which doesn't bother me or his sister at all), can cause his good ear to physically hurt. This is esp true in the lower (bass) frequencies.

Usually I have no problem with whatever the driver listens to. The only thing I can't stand is that "Rodney in the Morning" (or whatever his name is) show[xx(]. I have turned down rides from drivers when I've heard that playing.
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2003 at 11:06am
I usually try and make my car as comfortable as possible. I always fade the the sound a few notches out of the rear speakers (so it's still coming out of the rear speakers a little). But to have them just in the front, I have to turn it up louder to hear it, then it would annoy the front passenger. But I did have one woman within seconds of getting in the car as me if I could turn it down. It wasn't even that loud (I could just barely hear it, which is where I try to keep it). The same woman a few days later got in my car and said it was stuffy and asked me to turn down the heat. I did but with an annoyed "Fine!". Both times I complied, but after that decided that I would not comply to HER if she got in my car again. But she would always walk past my car after that.

It's a give and take with both parties. As drivers, we do have a responsability to make sure the slugs are somewhat comfortable, but not at the sake of making ourselves uncomfortable (they are guests in our cars after all). When I want to listen to a CD, I make for sure it's not too loud. And I NEVER listen to something that they might find offensive (or think is offensive because they can't understand the words). But I've gotten in cars where the driver has played really obscene gansta rap (he had his significant other with him as the other passenger). Temperature should be taken into consideration by the slugs. If it's chilly outside, don't think that the driver will have the heat blasting just because you did in your car. I tend to keep cool air coming through pretty much until the outside temp drops below 50 (60s outside can still make inside the car stuffy with 3 people).

But I find that those who are pushy are few and far between. Just because I hear the occasional sigh from the back seat, rarely means their upset with me about something. I always get a cheery, "Thanks so much, have a great day!" when they get out.

"My therapist says you're always making withdrawls from my Self-Esteem account to fill your Ego Balloon!" Gabe - Penny-Arcade.com
PentaGoon View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PentaGoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 3:07pm
Pick up a set of foam earplugs and keep them in your purse/briefcase.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic