Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burke/Springfield Lines revolt!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trbilbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 7:28pm
Perhaps you should read the other posts in this thread, and all the numerous other threads. The widespread opinion is that the new slug locations have made the traffic situation much, much worse for drivers and riders. The designed solution is flawed in so many ways; and no real input was publicly solicited. I am not sure how this is any safer either.

Anyone who has to navigate the cul de sac from Hell after 4:30 or so is better off taking the main lines.

A crystal city line for Springfield is forming next week, so hopefully there will be a way to avoid the new "better" slug lines!

Gomez View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2003 at 7:57am
Well, Mirangus, you know what they say about opinions and everyone having one. For Springfield/Burke, this relocation remains a disaster, in more ways than one.

I've been slugging, both as passenger and driver, for three years. I liked the OLD, old system where we'd line up at the old Metrobus stop and snare the slugs (or get snared) heading out to the parking lot. I disliked, but didn't really see a loss of efficiency in, the more recent old system of lining up out on Rotary road. But this latest change increases the time to get through the traffic at the pickup area, and my commute time has increased an average of 50%. That is just plain STUPID, no matter how you slice it.

I guess if it's good news for you, great, but Springfiled/Burke is getting screwed, as now, the Pentagon slug line is splitting and a new one at Rosslyn will make it even harder to get through the line and find riders at the Pentagon, so we are now reaping the "benefits" of this relocation two-fold. More congestion, AND fewer riders (as they bolt for other locations), which will increase the time cars wait, increasing congestion, and so on....
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2003 at 11:10am
Yes, Gomez, I do know what they say about opinions. I also know what they say about catching bees with honey instead of vinegar. I also know what they say about actions being louder than words. I see people who complain but take no action. Has anyone even bothered to talk to the POCs listed on the other thread? Does anyone even have a solution to lay on the table to anyone?? The only one I've heard so far is trbilbro's mention of starting a Crystal City line. If it bothers you all so badly, how come someone hasn't mentioned moving Springfield back to where it was and keeping the PW lines in their new location?? (Sorry to PW slugs, but your old location really screwed everything up...)

My point being...

I know this is message board to talk about and vent slugging frustrations and I shouldn't even give a hoot about your situation, because, quite honestly, our situation is better now with the new changes. But with suggestion of "anarchy," my brows were raised in concern with what would most likely happen. Chaos would ensue and maybe, quite possibly, someone would get hurt. A pedestrian could get struck by a vehicle for crossing somewhere that a motorist would no longer expect, etc... No one wants that. The thing to do is voice your complaint and a proposed solution to the right people. Turn your frustrations into something constructive and change your situation!!

trbilbro View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trbilbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2003 at 1:07pm
We are. The whole point of this thread was to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Whether it be lobby the Pentagon to change it back to the old line, move the line to Crystal City or to do something else. We are trying to do something about it by initiating discussion on this forum. The RIGHT PEOPLE are the others who slug. This is where we talk about it. Proposing a move of line is not anarchy. You brought in the whole anarchy theme here. I suggested a revolt. Not your torches and pitcforks at the Bastille revolt. A peacefull attempt to keep the Springfield slug lines where the were. If the police stop it, okay. We are not going to jail for it or anything.

By the way, the whole slugging thing relies a bit on chaos. The reason it works is because it is largely informal and doesn't require a lot planning. If you try too hard to have orderly pick up points and official stack lanes for slugging, you break the system down. Slugging works because of its informal nature. There is a protocol, but regulating like a taxi stand or bus stop ruins it.

The bottom line here is that the move of the Springfield Burke lines was unnecessary and it has reduced the number of slugs and drivers who use the line. If that was this purpose, then it succeeded.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2003 at 10:32am
quote:
Originally posted by trbilbro
[br]We are. The whole point of this thread was to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Whether it be lobby the Pentagon to change it back to the old line, move the line to Crystal City or to do something else. We are trying to do something about it by initiating discussion on this forum. The RIGHT PEOPLE are the others who slug. This is where we talk about it. Proposing a move of line is not anarchy. You brought in the whole anarchy theme here. I suggested a revolt. Not your torches and pitcforks at the Bastille revolt. A peacefull attempt to keep the Springfield slug lines where the were. If the police stop it, okay. We are not going to jail for it or anything.

No, but because there will be confusion on where to go, neither riders NOR drivers will be efficient in getting home. No one will know where the heck to go from day-to-day. Some will go to the old line, some will go to the new location. Everyone will have a much longer wait to get home.

By the way, the whole slugging thing relies a bit on chaos. The reason it works is because it is largely informal and doesn't require a lot planning. If you try too hard to have orderly pick up points and official stack lanes for slugging, you break the system down. Slugging works because of its informal nature. There is a protocol, but regulating like a taxi stand or bus stop ruins it.
I don't think slugging is chaotic at all. Slug stands in line, driver calls out destination, slug gets in car, all arrive at commuter lot/work happy. How, pray tell, does organization break things down? Please explain.

The bottom line here is that the move of the Springfield Burke lines was unnecessary and it has reduced the number of slugs and drivers who use the line. If that was this purpose, then it succeeded.

I'm sorry that your line was inconvenienced. I would be very interested to know how other destination lines (Stafford/Prince William County/Fredericksburg) fared in the "move." What are some other opinions out there?
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2003 at 12:30pm
Life goes on, things change....get on with life. Pentagon has a reason to shift the lines and unless you get them to officially change them then you are hurting the system by walking around looking for rides. Dont forget the security issues they are trying to deal with also.
LB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2003 at 12:38pm
I slug from the Rt. 17/Fredericksburg lines and we stayed put, although drivers have often complained that it has always taken too long to wind around to our location. The Springfield lines, where they used to be, as far as I could see, did not clog up traffic. We have, however, noticed a big difference with the move of the Potomac Mills/Horner Rd. lines. Before their move, their long line of cars blocked the Fredericksburg/Stafford slug cars from getting out of the parking lot and many of those drivers did not want to let us out because a couple more cars would then whip in front of them. Couldn't really blame them, but it had a negative impact on our lines. That aspect has improved 100%. I'm sorry that I have no suggestions, but I hope that someone comes up with a plan that makes the traffic flow easier for all.

IN RESPONSE TO--
I would be very interested to know how other destination lines (Stafford/Prince William County/Fredericksburg) fared in the "move." What are some other opinions out there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic