Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug apps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slug apps
    Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 7:30am
Good morning. Does anyone use a slug app they find useful and reliable? I did use the SmartSlug for awhile. Phone problems meant I had to go on the web versus download the app. Web version was hit or miss. Thanks.

Edited by Boo123 - 20 Nov 2017 at 7:31am
admin2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:19am
Boo123, as far as I know this is the only one focused on slugging.

Now the good news, I am working with a company right now to develop an app. It is a long way from being finished. Sometime next month we will asks Slugs and Drivers to complete a survey. Then in February 2018 we will hold some focus groups to get feedback on what the slugging community needs.

Stay tuned for more!!
KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 12:43pm
Why do we need an APP? This isn't Uber Carpool!. Any APP should just contain the info from the website, I'm going to be upset if it can be used to coordinate rides.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:09pm
I tried using one of them for a short time just to try it out. No one ever checked in for any of the destinations so I don't think it was really useful and I deleted it. I slug during the normal rush hours from 610 and Pentagon so never an issue getting a ride so there was no reason to get the app.
admin2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote admin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:02am
I have been approached many times in the past few years to "endorse" an app for slugging. Unfortunately, the apps were designed to coordinate rides and then charge the rider!! I said "Absolutely not!"

I explained how slugging is first come, first served (not coordinated) and any app should be designed around the existing slugging system, not the other way around.

Of course, charging slugs for the ride was another huge deal breaker. Problem is, these companies are approaching this from a business perspective and want to make money and not truly improve slugging.
rbhoward View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbhoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 7:18pm
I wish there was something, I'm trying to get something started from I-66 (Centreville or Vienna Metro) to Navy Yard area. Its been really hard trying to get one up and running. None of apps I've tried work, sluglines, dc sluglines, and carpoolnow. Seems like a good app that everyone uses would really help to get riders and drivers to hook up, especially in the freezing cold weather. Make it a free app with ads for revenue if need be.
shart View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 2:29am
Hello. Anything new in the app domain? I see Sameride started a line, but is it working?
admin2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 8:48am
Nothing yet. The difficulty with starting a new slug line is that it take a lot of coordination. To simply "announce" that a new slug line is starting just does not work.

I saw a news report for a number of "new" slug lines at the Springfield metro. I have not heard of any of these being successful.

Anyway, I was working with a company that received a grant from the Federal Highway Administration on an app for slugging but they have not produced anything...yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic