Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sydenstryker Overflow parking in jeopardy!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad_Biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sydenstryker Overflow parking in jeopardy!!
    Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 12:31pm
if you have not read it, there will be apublic hearing to make parking along Hooes road resident permit only from 7 AM to Noon. The hearing happens to take place on a Tuesday (September 25th, 2018) at 4 PM (when most commuters are at work and unavailable to participate!)

On an average Ssunday, there were 7 cars along one part of the road.   On an average Thursday afternoon, that number rose to over 35.

The only reason I can guess is the residents do not want commuters parking along a city street! the sydenstryker lot is already filled to capacity before 7 AM, and there is no other parking area available within a quarter mile!

We must do something to make sure the county government hears our dislike of this plan, and how it will affect over 100 daily commuters, only to placify 27 residents.

Basically, this is a NIMBY for the residents, with no offered alternative for the rest of us.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 8:47am
I can see where the residents are coming from.  Especially when Rolling Valley is 5 mins away.
aggielaw View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aggielaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 1:08pm
I have a difficult time understanding this.  The houses in the proposed area were all built after the slug line was established.  The owners purchased their houses understanding that this inconvenience was part and parcel, so to speak, of buying the property. 

Be that as it may, the fault for this action lies with the Board of Supervisors, who chose to value the mild inconvenience of 25 residents who accepted this circumstance when they purchased their property over a much greater number of county residents who rely on this area for their commute.  Rolling Valley is not a suitable alternative for at least two reasons: first, the diversity of destinations is inconsistent with the Sydenstricker commuting population, and second, Rolling Valley is an additional five minutes only under the best circumstances.  The school zone and stop lights add significant time in the morning.  These factors make Rolling Valley unattractive, particularly for those who are already driving 5-10  minutes to get to Sydenstricker.

I will say the residents on 7001 have a stronger argument than the residents who live on Hooes Road.  At least the residents on 7001, the "offshoot" road, are challenged by an unusually narrow street in front of their homes, making it challenging for residents with large vehicles to back out because the parking is on the opposite side of the street from the driveways, where the ten-foot offset from driveways does not apply.  The Hooes Road residents have neither of those issues.

If the board had granted the proposal as to 7001 and denied it as to Hooes Road their action would have been easily defensible.  Approving the proposal wholesale is not.

I had confidence the Board of Supervisors would take a utilitarian view of this proposal and would choose what is right by judging what does the most good for the greatest number of residents.  The fact that they granted the petition of a small group of whiny owners who had a poor argument based on the circumstances existing when they purchased their property causes me to question judgment of these elected officials.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic