Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continued awful trips on HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2004 at 3:18pm
Wow, how refreshing to log in and find someone attacking a message I wrote at least a month ago. And further enlightening that the poster has only been posting since January 8 and all his other posts have been promotions for his Prius.

I wasn't aware I was "crying" by expressing concerns about an something that affects the quality of life for us all. In fact, I was expressing an opinion similar to others on this board, yet you chose to single me out by name and aim your sarcastic remarks at me. So far, the sum total of your posts have been to promote your Prius and criticize someone who expressed concerns about increasing traffic in the HOV lane. What exactly are you doing on this board since you have yet to actually discuss slugging?

quote:
Originally posted by bowflexguy
[br]Connie, looks like you made a mistake by moving out into the rural areas if all you want to do is beef about traffic. How about moving in closer and stop crying about traffic? What's next HOV-8? Only buses???

quote:
Originally posted by Connie
[br]This morning was another nightmare. At one point, we were stuck in the right lane behind cars getting off at the Pentagon. We looked over and were passed by 4 Hybrids in a row, followed by one 3-person car and then 2 more Hybrids. We pulled over into the left lane and proceeded to pass 5 Hybrids within the line of approximately 15 cars waiting to exit at the Pentagon. That's 11 in a small space in a small snapshot of time. [:0]

No Hybrids are not the whole problem as someone pointed out. They are part of the problem. But I don't believe that you ignore something that can be fixed just because it's only part of the problem. I have begun contacting my representatives in Richmond -- I figure I've complained long enough and there's no point in that if I'm not willing to take action. [:)] And I am raising other issues that affect the lanes - other single driver exemptions, continued unchecked growth, the need to perhaps look at increasing the hours for HOV. If you have opinions on what is causing the problems and how they might be solved, please let your voice be heard as well.

bowflexguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowflexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2004 at 7:54pm
Sorry Connie it was not a personal attack, just an observation [:)] Sorry I haven't chimmed in on issues that you feel need something to be mentioned. I didn't know my insight was that important [}:)], I too am expressing my opinions & picking the time and choicing of my responses (did I just sound like Bush?)[:0]

I would also say that I am not promoting anything here. All I can say is traffic isn't bad when you move into the city. There's a choice you make rural living = bad traffic. What have you done to make the traffic situation better? Do you think Richmond cares about Northern VA?

quote:
[br]Wow, how refreshing to log in and find someone attacking a message I wrote at least a month ago. And further enlightening that the poster has only been posting since January 8 and all his other posts have been promotions for his Prius.

I wasn't aware I was "crying" by expressing concerns about an something that affects the quality of life for us all. In fact, I was expressing an opinion similar to others on this board, yet you chose to single me out by name and aim your sarcastic remarks at me. So far, the sum total of your posts have been to promote your Prius and criticize someone who expressed concerns about increasing traffic in the HOV lane. What exactly are you doing on this board since you have yet to actually discuss slugging?

quote:
Originally posted by bowflexguy
[br]Connie, looks like you made a mistake by moving out into the rural areas if all you want to do is beef about traffic. How about moving in closer and stop crying about traffic? What's next HOV-8? Only buses???

quote:
[br]This morning was another nightmare. At one point, we were stuck in the right lane behind cars getting off at the Pentagon. We looked over and were passed by 4 Hybrids in a row, followed by one 3-person car and then 2 more Hybrids. We pulled over into the left lane and proceeded to pass 5 Hybrids within the line of approximately 15 cars waiting to exit at the Pentagon. That's 11 in a small space in a small snapshot of time. [:0]

No Hybrids are not the whole problem as someone pointed out. They are part of the problem. But I don't believe that you ignore something that can be fixed just because it's only part of the problem. I have begun contacting my representatives in Richmond -- I figure I've complained long enough and there's no point in that if I'm not willing to take action. [:)] And I am raising other issues that affect the lanes - other single driver exemptions, continued unchecked growth, the need to perhaps look at increasing the hours for HOV. If you have opinions on what is causing the problems and how they might be solved, please let your voice be heard as well.

Connie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2004 at 9:25am
Well, bowflexguy, I have done my little part to make the traffic situation better by slugging, driving carpools and riding buses and trains for the past 10 years. If more people did those things, then I-95 wouldn't look like such a parking lot. I also have written letters to my representatives in Richmond about traffic issues and the relationship that unchecked growth has to increasing traffic problems.

And gee, thanks for the tip that moving into the city would lessen my commute. Why didn't I think of that before? Oh I know, maybe because all of us can't afford to live closer into the city. Maybe because the closer-in areas I could afford have crime problems I prefer not to expose my family too. You're right, I made a choice living where I did, but the choice was made to minimize the impact of the commute by living close to the HOV lanes and using them to get into work. At that time, only carpools and buses were allowed in them and they represented a good way to get to work from areas that offered affordable housing. So, I believe my concern about the rules changing and single drivers in Hybrids (or those who pay a toll if VA passes that) being allowed in the lanes is understandable when this change in rules negatively impacts the commute I thought I had signed on for.

You can chime in on anything you want but please remember that this is a very diverse group and solutions that may seem like a no-brainer to you, i.e., move to the city, actually may be rife with problems for other families.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2004 at 2:32pm
Hold up, everyone. Bowflexguy has a great idea!! I've started the "move-my-butt-to-the-city" fund and am accepting all donations. I take cash, check, all major credit cards and even livestock. So whatdya say, Bowflexguy? Got any extra chump change to throw down my way? [}:)]

BTW-Inner-city traffic stinks, too. The entire 50-mile radius reeks of horrible traffic. Going nowhere on Constitution would be just as crappy as sitting on I-95. Actually, worse, maybe. Because you're so close, yet so far away...

GeeseAreGood View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeseAreGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2004 at 10:09am
I also accept pay pal and willing to accept money if anyone wants to donate!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic