Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Safety Concerns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILLeana Rivera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety Concerns
    Posted: 11 Apr 2002 at 10:34pm
Hi..I am an ex-NYer living in Richmond with a new job in Arlington, 2 blocks from the Rosslyn metro station. The commute is wayyyyyyyyyy too long. I would like to try this slugging...anything to avoid that horrible traffic. How safe is this practice? Seems to go against ingrained training.

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2002 at 12:06pm
Aah! The reknowned NY distrust of one's fellows. I also wondered about this when I moved here a few years ago. I have found slugging to be very safe. It is not quite so anonymous as you might think either - if you slug at the same time each day you will see the same people each day, both riders and drivers.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2002 at 8:50am
You could check with Prince William County, Fairfax, or Arlington County Police Departments (counties with the most slugging activity) and I think you will find that crime is virtually none existent in regards to slugging. By that I mean, there have not been ANY reports of violent crimes. When I did research on slugging a few years ago, safety was one of the things I was interested in. When I contacted the local police departments, they had no reports and I doubt if anything has changed. The only safety issues generally involve a driver who speeds or the occassional rude driver who does not drop off the slug at the agreed upon destination. The worst has been vandalism to cars on the commuter lots. Other than that, slugging is simply a commute into/out of the city.

One thing that probably helps is that there are three (sometimes four) people in a car at any given time. This has a detering effect. In any case, if a car pulls up calling for slugs, and your gut tells you this doesn't feel right, PASS. You are NOT obligated to get into any car! Just wait for the next.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic