Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHave you written a letter yet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you written a letter yet?
    Posted: 06 Jan 2004 at 8:22am
As we start the new year, I would encourage all slugs to sit down and write at least one letter to Richmond, your county board of supervisors, or your representative about the issues facing our HOV lanes.

Just recently, when doing a search on the Virginia government site, I discovered that there is a bill in the House to eliminate the expiration for hybrids. Another issue is that next fall we will be seeing hybrid sport utes from Toyota and Ford, and these will only get marginally better mileage than regular trucks. Finally, please write about the threat of HOT lanes. As for me, I have written at least 4 or 5 letters and have contacted all of the agencies I listed above. If we don't exercise some power, the moneyed interests will win.
JustWannaGetHome View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustWannaGetHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2004 at 10:00am
I too encourage everyone to write letters to Richmond regarding the ever growing congestion on HOV lanes, something has to be done. Every car manufacture out there is now making their own hybrid model, it's not like a year or two ago when there were only 3 hybrids to choose from. Now everyone and their mother is buying hybrids, just look at the number of temporary tags and new models you see on HOV in the morning. I've said this before and I'll say it again, hybrids are clogging up the HOV lanes! If their is a bill in the House to eliminate the expiration for hybrids, the benefit of HOV lanes will be forever lost. There is no reason why hybrids should not have to pick up riders as well. They are not helping the environment with their "clean fuel" if they continue to clog up the HOV lanes and cause even more pollution. Write a letter to Richmond and let your voice be heard!
earlyriser View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyriser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2004 at 11:29am
Thanks, Bob, for the nudge. I sent emails today to my board of supervisors representative, my state senator and state representative. I'm also going to send a letter to the Washington Post responding to their recent article.

The text of my email is as follows:
Dear XXX,
I urge you to not support the designation of any highways in Northern Virginia as HOT Lanes. To make a wage that enables me to live in Northern Virginia I commute to DC via the HOV lanes. Currently I carpool using the “slug” system. Metro (with parking), Metrobus, and VRE are prohibitively expensive for me to use with the present cost of living in this area. Carpooling and slugging are affordable options for people like me who live paycheck to paycheck. HOT lanes will allow more affluent people to use the already congested HOV lanes, further giving the wealthy in the area an advantage over the average taxpayer.

Government support of carpooling and slugging are the most effective and fair ways to reduce congestion on area highways.

Sincerely,
XX

If anyone has any edits to suggest before I write the Post please let me know at GMP7@starpower.net (or post here)

earlyriser
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic