Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - AM Slug Line Split at Horner Rd for PTG/CC/Rosslyn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AM Slug Line Split at Horner Rd for PTG/CC/Rosslyn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2004 at 4:14pm
Guess I'm swimming up stream on this one. I like the change. I ride 3 days a week and drive, due to night school, 2 days to the Pentagon and enjoy the shorter lines for both. My observation was having the 3 lines together was pretty inefficient. Drivers that found no available riders for their destination would not pull up and effectively block the line. The ride line would become so long that people couldn't hear or see what the next cars destination was, again, slowing the process.

Since the change I've enjoyed having shorter lines, quicker commute times, and less periods of confusion (I induce enough of my own). As for less options for some, it's slows the process too much. That's why lines split in the first place. If we wanted to maximize options we could just combine all 6 again (or 7, not sure). Less time commuting and more with family works for me, but I understand it's not all about me.

Cheers
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2004 at 7:47am
Slugging in 17 degrees F, 0 degrees F windchill: [V]

However, having a much shorter line, thus less time exposed to the elements: [:D]

I like the change, I think others may also.

Cheers
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2004 at 4:42pm
This shorter lines stuff rocks![8D]

Cheers
tulipgirl67 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulipgirl67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2004 at 11:29am
Just curious here (I've used the Horner Rd lot on occasion). When the line of cars backs up because the drivers at the front of the line are heading to one destination (Rosslyn) and the riders are heading to another (Pentagon), why don't the riders just walk down the line to find the next car going to their location?

It makes no sense to stand there and wait for the car to pull up to the front of the line. It's so inefficient for all concerned. Also, if riders would just walk the line as they arrived, then the integrity of the line (first-come, first-served) would be still be preserved. Can someone please explain the rationale for waiting for the car to pull up to you?

Thanks.
Connie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2004 at 11:05am
There is no rationale from my perspective. If I am at the front of the line and the cars at the front aren't going to my destination, then I walk the line to the first car that is. Saves me and the driver some time. I slug in the DC Horner Road line to L'Enfant Plaza and the other day was second in line behind a woman also going to the Plaze. The first several cars were going to other places and the car line was about 20 deep so I asked her if she wanted to walk back to find a ride since we were first in line anyway. She said no, she was going to stand there because she was too cold to walk back.

As for the lines being split, I know I would hate it if the DC lines were split because often if I can't get a quick ride to L'Enfant, I will take a 14th street one and take the Metro. If the lines were split, I might stand in the L'Enfant line for a long time, have no luck and then have to go to the end of the 14th street line, doubling my waiting time. Now, I move up to the front of the line and can choose either destination based on where cars are going. So I sympathize with the people who are unhappy about the change in the Pentagon/Rosslyn/Crystal City line. Changes should be made only after drivers and slugs are truly surveyed - we don't like it when the Pentagon for example makes wholesale changes to slugging without even asking us for input, so why do it to each other?
shanbz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2004 at 3:44pm
I like the new lines....once I figured out the process on the first day that I drove (I usually ride). I've spent many mornings, walking all the way down to the turn looking for CC rides. Doesn't seem to me that this would affect those that can take any ride. Just decide which one you want to go to and head to that car. If there are no cars for Rosslyn, you can see that by just looking over there and that makes the decision for you as to whether you want to take a pentagon ride. Doesn't seem too difficult to me! Just my 2 cents![:p]
akire25 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akire25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2004 at 1:15pm
The new lines work great!

akire25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic