Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell Phones and Safety

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cell Phones and Safety
    Posted: 19 Apr 2002 at 5:36am
The following comments were sent to me via email:
"Yesterday, while waiting to be picked up at 14th and Independence to go to 234, two drivers came by and I passed up rides with each of them because they were both on their cell phones. When I told them, respectively, that I didn't want to ride with them because they were on their cells, they became offended and more so because I passed up the ride.

Most people don't think of it, because it's the drivers car and it's
their right to be on the phone or to do whatever they please in the car. However, as a slug, one has every right to pass up a ride because they may feel endangered by the driver's distracting behavior.

Please inform slugs of this increasing hazard.

RM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2002 at 8:25am
I wholeheartedly agree. Drivers on cell phones are concentrating on the phone conversation, no matter how much they swear that they can concentrate on the conversation and their driving at the same time. With respect to slugs, I also find it grossly inconsiderate when a slug gets into a car and makes or receives calls and carries on inane conversations - it is the height of rudeness! A quick, "Hi, honey. I'm running late." isn't so bad as long as the person cuts it short. It seems most people are considerate with respect to cell phones, but those who aren't, in my opinion, should drive alone.

Dslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2002 at 10:34am
quote:

I for one, turn off my cell phone once I hit the Metro and the slug line. I am amazed that most people do not do this. Perhaps they believe at any moment, the call of the century will be coming in. It doesn't seem to occur to some people who are checking in with kids and spouses to do it before they get in the slug car, bus, metro...afterall, they want to keep moving and, of course, how they feel is oh so much more important than demonstrating common courtesy to those around them. For those who argue that they just must call at that moment, don't evewn try that argument, like RM, I also have heard the inane babbling. I'm certainly not talking about true emergencies - although it appears some people's idea of emergency is "So, hey, what's up?" ...or is it just that they have no consideration?

Casey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2002 at 12:35pm
Yes. Good case in point that we must respect the driver as well as other sluggers and use cell phones with discretion.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic