Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bridge Bucks Program - Why not Slugs Too!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bridge Bucks Program - Why not Slugs Too!
    Posted: 10 Jan 2004 at 4:09pm
I just heard of the Bridge Bucks program where some people will be give $50 not to ride alone! So, why aren't slugs eligible!!

See the site at: http://www.wilsonbridge.com/cms-commuter-bb.htm

Here is some of the info:

Designed expressly for commuters who may be affected by construction along the 7.5-mile corridor, Bridge Bucks provides $50 a month, for one year, toward vouchers for alternatives that best suit your needs, whether they are individual transit passes or vanpool costs. Since everyone's commute is unique, Bridge Bucks can be used for a wide variety of options and transit providers that offer excellent service on north-south commuting routes crossing the construction corridor, as well as routes crossing the Wilson Bridge. Transit options include:

Metro rail and buses
Local commuter buses such as Maryland Transit Authority and Fairfax County Connector
Organized vanpools
After determining your specific transit needs, Bridge Bucks will provide the actual pass, or combination of passes, needed for your daily transit trips. For example, is you choose to ride Metro rail and a commuter bus to reach your destination, Bridge Bucks will provide you with appropriate passes (electronic, paper, voucher or token) worth $50 each month.

How Do I Qualify?
To be eligible for Bridge Bucks, you must:
Travel through the Project corridor (designated by zip code on the application form) to get to and from work or school.
Participate for at least a three-month period.
Complete an application and eligibility form either on the "How Do I Sign Up" section or by paper application.
The pilot program is available on a first-come, first-served basis for 1,000 commuters (500 in Maryland, 500 in Virginia).

SKCRAB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKCRAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2004 at 5:22pm
While that would be quite a coup for slugs, since there is no fee for slugging, there is really nothing for the program to pay the fee to (the carpool or the mass transit ticket).

For slugs to get paid to get a free ride and the slug drivers to go on status quo, that would be pretty ridiculous--Not to mention that it would show that we, as slugs, are not concerned with alleviating the traffic mess to the extent we can.

I am sure that there will be individuals that abuse this program, and hopefully the program is set up to prevent some of the abuse. I do hope that slugs are above such abuse.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2004 at 8:08am
I find it curious that the government is talking about paying people to not be single drivers on the Wilson Bridge, while at the same time they seem to be doing everything they can to mess up the HOV that has worked for 30 yrs. This includes policies that PROMOTE single drivers, ie hybrid and HOT.

Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic