Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Religious Radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Religious Radio
    Posted: 03 May 2002 at 11:13am
Does slug etiquette for not discussing religion include the driver avoiding religious radio stations?

FburgVA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FburgVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2002 at 2:50pm
Would seem to me its drivers choice.
Their car, their radio. Just like I have
to deal with the drivers choice of
heat/AC.

Todd
mol View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2002 at 3:33pm
Yes, it is the driver's choice. Most people are considerate enough not to play such stations, however, those who play them risk losing riders who after recognizing them, opt not to drive with them again. If it is offensive to enough people, the driver will eventually have difficulty in getting riders - So, he/she may be forced to play something more neutral, not out of consideration for other people, but because the driver wants to use the HOV lanes. Just like the people who blast their heat - if riders are uncomfortable, the solution is to note the driver and don't ride with him/her again. We have the choice to decline a ride, but this system won't work for long if we start telling drivers that their choice of stations offend us, and this is because people who play stations that may offend others in the first place are generally not the type of people who take well to criticism.
rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2002 at 3:50pm
Twice I rode with a couple, who the first time played a religious station and the second time, decided to lecture me on the fine points of their beliefs and read out loud from some sort of scriptures. Riding with them all the way in from Fredericksburg was torture and I was not about to tell them I wasn't interested; afterall, they were giving me a ride. As nice as they otherwise seemed to be, I knew I couldn't take one more ride with them and dreaded the thought. I haven't seen them in a few weeks, but if I do I plan to decline the ride. At this point, I don't feel self-conscious at all. For me, being a captive audience is just too miserable - I don't care what the topic is. I've always considered one person doing all the talking (in this case lecturing), as a form of torture and when you are "captive" in their car, you count the seconds to freedom!!

nyy24 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2002 at 4:15pm
Thanks to everyone for responding. I respect that it's their radio and they can listen to whatever they want. But, a religious conversation started between the other rider and the driver because of it. That's why I was curious on proper etiquette.

Mit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2002 at 7:55am
I've been slugging for over 10 years and fortunately that type of incident is rare. I agree with the others that the thing to do is not confront the driver...unless you know the person well. If the situation involved all the riders and not the driver, I might be inclined to say something if it seemed to bother the driver and the driver seemed hesitant to say anything. Such riders should beware because the driver also has the right to refuse a rider.

RW View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2002 at 8:14am
I have always found that headphones can work miracles.

RW
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2002 at 1:18pm
quote:

Twice I rode with a couple, who the first time played a religious station and the second time, decided to lecture me on the fine points of their beliefs and read out loud from some sort of scriptures. Riding with them all the way in from Fredericksburg was torture and I was not about to tell them I wasn't interested; afterall, they were giving me a ride. As nice as they otherwise seemed to be, I knew I couldn't take one more ride with them and dreaded the thought. I haven't seen them in a few weeks, but if I do I plan to decline the ride. At this point, I don't feel self-conscious at all. For me, being a captive audience is just too miserable - I don't care what the topic is. I've always considered one person doing all the talking (in this case lecturing), as a form of torture and when you are "captive" in their car, you count the seconds to freedom!!

Did this happen to be a green Explorer? My dilemma with being dropped off at the wrong location (see "Rt. 17 slugs to L'Enfant Plaza Beware" post) happened to be performed by a couple that were playing gospel music. I didn't mind that as much as I did being dropped off at a location other than what was promised. Just trying to make a connection if there is one.

Kevin O.
Mit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2002 at 3:21pm
No, this couple drove a grey sedan, not sure of the make. Even if they had another vehicle, I don't believe it would be the same couple because they were more than courteous about where to let me out.

rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2002 at 3:28pm
Kevin: The couple did not drive a green Explorer. It was a white Camry and they always ask for 14th and Independence and let me out there both times I rode with them.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic