Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horner Rd Lot expansion completion date

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horner Rd Lot expansion completion date
    Posted: 03 May 2002 at 1:52pm
I corresponded with Prince Wm County and they confirmed that the Horner Road lot expansion is still slated for some time around August assuming no significant weather problems. I had contacted them because it looks to me like it is getting much closer to completion than that.

Incidentally, I heard that there will be an additional entrance to this lot off of Telegraph Rd (which goes behind Target).

When this lot opens I believe we should have several slug lines like we have at Potomac. It will go from a mostly Pentagon lot (I think) to everything. Any comments on this?

Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2002 at 3:00pm
Sounds like a great plan. However, I am concerned with the issues regarding vandalism at Horner.

Have there been any new developments?

J View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2002 at 12:09pm
The vandalism at Horner concerns me especially since I keep hearing the 234 Lot and the Potomac Mills area will be shut down and moved to the expanded Horner Lot. Anyone know if this is true or just concerns?

z71cowgrrl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z71cowgrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2002 at 8:32am
Horner Road is not now currently a mostly Pentagon lot. Seems like there are more riders going downtown to 14th, 18th, and occasionally L'Enfant and Navy Yard, and more cars going to Pentagon, Crystal City, and Rosslyn. It's already confusing with two different pickup points in the lot, and so many different people. I think with the addition of the new lot it would be really helpful if there were signs and different lines for at least "destinations Virginia" and "Destinations Downtown." Especially if they're shutting down the other lots, and especially since the new expansion lot looks to provide a bit of a hike to the existing lot.

RShaw View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RShaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2002 at 3:04pm
I have a stake in orderly movement of vehicles and people at Horner when it becomes the "mother of all slug lots." Simply put, it's all about time. I specifically pick-up at Potomac because it is better organized. Can anyone tell me if signs are planned for the new lot, and has anyone scoped it out to determine how to organize the lot? Or, has PWC figured this all out. If not, I am willing to link-up with a couple of others to scope out the lot on a weekend and figure out how to strategically organize the lot to make this thing work. I will even construct some simple wooden signs to get the process off and running.

RShaw
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2002 at 3:05pm
There has been no announcement that the Potomac lot will be shut down or reduced.

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2002 at 10:30pm
quote:

I have a stake in orderly movement of vehicles and people at Horner when it becomes the "mother of all slug lots." Simply put, it's all about time. I specifically pick-up at Potomac because it is better organized. Can anyone tell me if signs are planned for the new lot, and has anyone scoped it out to determine how to organize the lot? Or, has PWC figured this all out. If not, I am willing to link-up with a couple of others to scope out the lot on a weekend and figure out how to strategically organize the lot to make this thing work. I will even construct some simple wooden signs to get the process off and running.

RShaw

VDOT will NOT put up signage as they do not acknowledge slugging. Furthermore, if you were to post signs, at best they'll simply get taken down by VDOT. If you're caught putting them up, you could easily face legal action.

I know this because I've specifically asked the question about posting signage at Tackett's (which has become much more confused lately due to driver's trying to cut the line), and the county can't do it because it's a VDOT lot and VDOT doesn't recognize slugging.

- Eric.

- Eric.

jhatton1980 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatton1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2002 at 3:46pm
According to this article dated 6/24/02, there are no official plans to shut down Potomac Mills:

http://www.slug-lines.com/News_Announcements/News_Lane.htm

Also in that article, Ms Riggs indicated that there won't be any slug signage at the new Horner facility. I emailed Ms. Riggs for more info and she stated that the county is asking VDOT for permission to install some.

I also expressed my disappointment that the lot wasn't designed specifically with slugs in mind from the beginning, instead adding slug-helpful features as an afterthought.

LegMan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LegMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2002 at 11:14am
The real key to figuring out what to do with the Horner lines is what will happen to the buses. A bunch of new shelters have been installed in the lot. Will the Pentagon bus and the downtown bus stop at the same place? Separating the slug lines won't work if the buses aren't separate. Many people stand in the slug line and then "bailout" when the bus arrives.

Something to think about.
Dave
Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2002 at 2:28pm
This is the e-mail (Ruth Griggs' newsletter) I got this AM:

quote:

On Monday, July 8, the new section of the Horner Road Commuter (facing
Telegraph Road) will be opened to the public. To best serve our passengers,
a second OmniRide bus stop has been added in the lot. Just look for the bus
stop sign in the new section.

To efficiently serve both stops routing in and out of the lot has been
reconfigured. The new routing is as follows:

AM Routing: Buses enter lot at Telegraph Road entrance serve new bus stop,
old bus stop then on to I-95 via the HOV ramp.

PM Routing: Buses will use I-95 exit ramp into the lot, serve the old bus
stop, the new stop then exit lot via Telegraph Road.

But this PM I just received the following retraction:

quote:

PRTC has just received notice that the expanded portion of the Horner Rd
Commuter Lot will not be opened to the public on July 8, as previously
announced. While close to completion, there are still final construction
tasks that need to be finished before the lot can be opened to the public.
We regret any inconvenience our original announcement may have caused. Look
for an announcement of the revised opening date soon.

Last night I noticed that they had a substantial amount of the guard rails still to put up, so with the holiday, I think that it would be next week sometime before they'd be done with that. Not sure what other tasks they might need to complete.

- Eric.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic