Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What if a driver can only pick up one slug?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarke001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if a driver can only pick up one slug?
    Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 8:13am
I'm not a slug and I've never picked one up but I've notice the slug phenomena around Crystal City where I live. I've got two questions.

1. What happens if a driver can only find one slug but needs two in order to qualify for the HOV-3 lanes on 395. Do they give the one slug a ride in the regular lanes just out of courtesy or do they ask the slug to get out?

2. If a slug can't find a ride home (Horner Rd for example), what do they do? How do they get home?

Thanks,
George
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 8:46am
1. I have found that people wait for a second slug. The driver may have to wait a bit, but unless you are incredibly late, there usually will be a person looking for a ride eventually.

2. Again, usually this isn't an issue unless you are very late, but if you are, the PRTC buses go to the commuter lots in Prince William County up until about 7 or 8pm.
Frisckey1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frisckey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 8:51am
If a slug had a problem getting home, most slug lines are centered around a bus stop. If a slug finds that they commonly have problems finding a ride, or the slug line is too far, sometimes metroing to a better slug line is an option. For instance, I slug from Horner road to 18th street, but the DC return slug line is bit far for me (I'm up 18th & K area and the line is 14 & New York). So I hop on metro at 18 & I and go to Rosslyn or Pentagon - where there is never a lack of a ride. Sometimes you just have to be flexible.

IMO - if I was picked up and no other riders came along - I wouldn't mind the driver offering to take me up regular lanes or else hopping out. I mean...you really do have to understand the nature of the beast. I'd just stand at the bus stop and wait for the bus [:D]
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 9:00am
1. People wait for a second slug. If it's too late like 8:50am for example, the ride will be out of courtesy. It will be rude to ask the slug to get out of the vehicle. Although, it happened to me once??!!
I didn't mind at all.
2. If you don't find a ride home, there's buses going to Horner Rd.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 10:52am
I would say that most people wait for a second slug. However, a van once pulled up and the driver called out his destination. There were 5 or 6 people in line, but I was the only one going to the drivers destination. Instead of waiting for a second rider (or even negotiating to drop off another person at a slug stop on the way), he took off and we ended up on the regular lanes.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 12:15pm
Ugh, DC, I would've been ticked. I, too, have had to get out of the car when I was the only one going to the driver's destination (and the driver decided to go to a different lot) - and it didn't bother me at all, really. Having a car sit there can block traffic, so it's fine if they want to change destinations. At least I could get out and get on the HOV later, with a different driver.

quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]I would say that most people wait for a second slug. However, a van once pulled up and the driver called out his destination. There were 5 or 6 people in line, but I was the only one going to the drivers destination. Instead of waiting for a second rider (or even negotiating to drop off another person at a slug stop on the way), he took off and we ended up on the regular lanes.

vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2004 at 1:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by sarke001
[br]I'm not a slug and I've never picked one up but I've notice the slug phenomena around Crystal City where I live. I've got two questions.

1. What happens if a driver can only find one slug but needs two in order to qualify for the HOV-3 lanes on 395. Do they give the one slug a ride in the regular lanes just out of courtesy or do they ask the slug to get out?

2. If a slug can't find a ride home (Horner Rd for example), what do they do? How do they get home?

Thanks,
George

With as many slug lots as there are, a slug would only be faced with not obtaining a ride late in the morning or late in the afternoon. I've always tried to be right in the middle to eliminate the possibility of not getting a ride. If I think I'm too late or close to being too late, like emancilla says, I'll catch the bus. I would suspect that its rare a slug is forced into a different option, wouldn't all of you? [xx(] [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic