Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 Man Cars at Springfield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 Man Cars at Springfield
    Posted: 19 May 2004 at 11:37am
Between the entrance before Springfield and the Exit at springfield many people get on with only 1 person. Is this allowed? It normally clogs everything up. I was told they were allowed because of construction. [:(!]
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2004 at 12:06pm
If you're talking about the afternoons, then yes, it is allowed. It's been that way for many years. I don't know if this will continue once construction is done.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2004 at 12:58pm
The exemption is scheduled to end in 2007 when the Springfield Interchange is finished. The rationale for it is that by allowing through traffic to bypass the hideous merge between the Beltway and the Franconia/Old Keene Mill exit, the congestion is reduced compared to the all-around bottleneck that would otherwise occur. In the rebuilt Springfield Interchange, that bottleneck should no longer exist because the merging will be eliminated due to barrier-separated local and through lanes. Going south we'll see the following, moving from right to left:

(1) A set of lanes taking traffic from the Beltway and I-395 South to Old Keene Mill Road;
(2) A set of lanes taking traffic from the Beltway and I-395 South to Franconia Road;
(3) A set of through lanes carrying I-395/95 South traffic, and through traffic merging from the Outer Loop of the Beltway, none of which will not be able to exit at Old Keene Mill/Franconia;
(4) The through lanes for I-95 South, which will come down off of the big new bridge that opens today, and will not have access to the exit at Old Keene Mill/Franconia;
(5) The HOV (or perhaps HOT) lanes.

All of these will be barrier-separated--i.e., if you're on I-395 in the main line, and you want to go to Springfield Mall, you will have to exit into the "local" lanes at the spot where traffic heading for Tysons used to exit. There will be a new bridge there that will carry traffic to the old ramp from the Outer Loop to I-95 South. That ramp will lead ONLY to Old Keene Mill and Franconia (it will divide to allow this). There will be jersey walls so that people who take this ramp can't access I-95 South to Richmond.

Then on the northbound side there will be several different sets of lanes too.

So all the merging will be eliminated, but on the other hand, this interchange will be very unforgiving--if you take the wrong ramp, you'll either have to exit the highway and then get back on, or (if you took the lanes that stay on the highway) you'll have to go to the next exit and backtrack.

Anyone else think that VDOT will screw up the signs?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic