Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TALKERS!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BonnieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TALKERS!!!
    Posted: 25 May 2004 at 9:34am
Today I had 2 middle-aged women in my car who talked (between themselves, never trying to include me in the conversation) the entire trip between Rolling Valley and 12th street. I even increased the volume on the radio so I could hear NPR and they just TALKED LOUDER!!

I have also noticed that more and more slugs are talking on cell phones (and not just the 1 minute "I'll be home in 20 honey" which is fine) but 15, 20 minute conversations.

I think that it would be rude to tell these people to quiet down but it is really starting to aggravate me. Anyone else noticing this?
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2004 at 10:29am
Hi Bonnie, it sounds like it would have "been O.K." for them to talk if you were included in the conversation [:0]. Don't worry; most people want to be included in things. Especially when there's an interesting topic being discussed [;)].
Tilmer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 12:44pm
Bonnie: I've noticed the same thing about cell phone users. Talking on cells phones when you are a passenger in a slugging situation is nothing short of obnoxious. I have also noticed that people are speaking up more, such as the the driver telling the clueless passenger that the drawn out cell phone conversation is distracting and to please finish it up. I actually got so irritated one day when I had an extra long wait in line to go home from the Pentagon (unusual, but 40 minute wait). A woman behind me babbled (and I do mean babbled) the entire 40 minutes. When a car pulled up she entered the car with the phone still clued to her ear. (She never paused as if to listen - she spoke non-stop.) When she asked why no one else was getting in the car, I told her I couldn't listen to another 45-50 minutes of her on the cell phone and everyone else stood there until she agreed to hang up. At that point I still didn't want to ride in the same vehicle as her and a few days later I spoke with the other passenger who said she only made it to Lorton and from there all the rest of the way to South Stafford she talked non-stop. I haven't seen here since that incident, so maybe someone told her off big time. She certainly did not behave as though she was embarrassed when no one else was getting into the car (poor driver!). I don't know what the answer is except that it may just be a downside of slugging because people like that often remain clueless. I though felt alot better for waiting for the next ride and once someone is known as a talker, you can avoid them in the future.
Macey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 12:59pm
It is not rude to ask them to quiet down. THEY, yes, THEY are the rude ones and because this problem is growing, I agree that we should start speaking up. Also I agree that most people who act like this never understand that they are being rude, but will change their behavior if it means not getting a ride. Remember the offenders and don't accept them as riders. I know it is difficult, but it is either your peace of mind or their inconsiderateness. If you step back from the situation, there is no question. You're in -- they're out. Believe me, once you become irritated enough, you will say something and if you keep it calm, you will feel much better and in control, even if it means waiting a few more minutes for someone else.
Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by BonnieD
[br]Today I had 2 middle-aged women in my car who talked (between themselves, never trying to include me in the conversation) the entire trip between Rolling Valley and 12th street. I even increased the volume on the radio so I could hear NPR and they just TALKED LOUDER!!

I have also noticed that more and more slugs are talking on cell phones (and not just the 1 minute "I'll be home in 20 honey" which is fine) but 15, 20 minute conversations.

I think that it would be rude to tell these people to quiet down but it is really starting to aggravate me. Anyone else noticing this?

aparker4322 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aparker4322 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2004 at 4:10pm
Bonnie: whats even worse is the driver that talks on a cell phone the entire drive home or most of the way home. I have experienced this a number of times and feel this is very rude to passengers who observe slug rules. Must be something that can be done.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic