Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HOV Restrictions Recommended in Northern Virginia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Restrictions Recommended in Northern Virginia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV Restrictions Recommended in Northern Virginia
    Posted: 19 Aug 2003 at 11:31am
HOV Restrictions Recommended in Northern Virginia
Updated: Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2003 - 9:01 AM EDT.

WASHINGTON - The next time you think it would be a lot quicker to zip into Virginia's HOV lanes but you don't have any passengers, you might want to think twice.
The state's HOV Task Force is recommending the General Assembly double fines and tack points on to your driving record if you violate the HOV restrictions.

The committee also suggested reinstating HOV-3 on Interstate 395 southbound between Duke Street and Route 644 once the Springfield Mixing Bowl project advances.

"The Task Force's recommendations, if approved, will benefit the environment and help preserve the time savings benefits for carpoolers, vanpoolers and bus riders," said Tom Farley, district administrator for the Virginia Department of Transportation and co-chair of the task force, in a news release.

"Virginia's HOV lanes are a proven congestion management tool but their success is being eroded by HOV violators who knowingly or inadvertently misuse the system," Farley says.

The following recommendations have been made by the task force:

Better communication and enforcement of existing HOV rules and regulations to commuters on the I-95/395, I-66 and Dulles Toll Road HOV corridors.

Double the fines for second and subsequent offenses on Northern Virginia HOV lanes. Fines are now $50 for the first offense plus court costs; $100 for the second offense plus court costs; $250 for the third offense within two years on the second offense plus court costs; and $500 for the fourth offense within three years of the second offense plus court costs.

Assign three demerit points for second and subsequent offenses. Now you don't get any points on your license. A driver can have his license suspended if 18 points are assigned in a 12-month period.

Increase HOV enforcement funding for Virginia State Police from $140,000 per year to $300,000 per year.

Spell out a consistent and enforceable definition of the HOV exemption for motorists going to and from the Dulles Airport.

Do not extend the exemption for vehicles with clean special fuel license plates. It expires on July 1, 2006. The exemption for hybrid vehicles violates federal statutes.

Remind federal, state and local law enforcement agencies that the exemption for police vehicles does not apply to commuting in personal vehicles on the HOV lanes.

Reinstate HOV-3 on the I-395 southbound HOV lanes between Duke Street and Route 644 once capacity is increased as part of the Springfield Interchange Improvement Project. Because of congestion this four-mile stretch has been used by all drivers since the mid-80s.
VDOT says every day more than 34,000 commuters rely on properly functioning HOV lanes to get to work or home by bus, vanpool, or carpool.

But during the peak morning hours, violators are prevalent.

In fall 2002 traffic counts, about 35 percent of drivers in I-95's HOV lanes violated the restrictions. In other HOV lanes, violators accounted for 26 percent of drivers on I-395, 14 percent on I-66 outside the Beltway, 38 percent on I-66 inside the Beltway and 28 percent on the Dulles Toll Road.

(Copyright 2003 by WTOP. All rights reserved.)

jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2003 at 12:01pm
These recommedations that are being are ones that everyone who uses the HOV lanes (Legally) can get behind. I think we (the HOV users) need to press our elected officals to rapidly move on these recommendations.

Jerry
eggerskf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eggerskf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2003 at 9:11pm
Jerry, you are correct, and we need the names of who exactly holds the power.

I have written the Sec Trans (of VA) but is it the Gov or state elected officials. Someone with the info please provide.

Thanks

Ken

quote:
Originally posted by jerryclapham
[br]These recommedations that are being are ones that everyone who uses the HOV lanes (Legally) can get behind. I think we (the HOV users) need to press our elected officals to rapidly move on these recommendations.

Jerry

jerryclapham View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryclapham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 7:59am

Below are two links that will provide all the email addresses to VA House of Delegates and The State Senate (Our Elected Officals). These sites also has the snail mail addresses for everyone. I have already spoken with Dave Brickly who is running for the House of Delegates in the Nov. election and he has told me that he is in support of these restrictions and also against the HOT lanes (different forum. So lets get political for the HOV and slugging.

House of Delegate
http://dela.state.va.us/Dela/Forms&Req.nsf/9CB7FAF53436B8A885256B190053D2D9/19E53B2B474BDAC385256B19005A988E?OpenDocument

State Senate
http://sov.state.va.us/SenatorDB.nsf/$$Viewtemplate%2Bfor%2BWEmailList?OpenForm

Jerry
swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 9:28am
I sure dont want the HOT lanes
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 12:37pm
In addition to the helpful links provided by jerryclapham, the following is a link to the Virginia State Board of Elections which has a list and contact information of the candidates in the upcoming election. Just in case anyone wants to ask a candidate their opinion on commuting related matters.

http://www.sbe.state.va.us/
mdamba View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 7:27pm
They should have Recommend building HOV lanes to Fredricksburg!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic