Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 12:53pm
Is that #77 an emergency line? I would hate to misuse an emergency line but if it's acceptable to report violaters on that # I sure will.
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 1:34pm
I just went to the Virginia State Police website and it stated that #77 was only for reckless and dangerous drivers that are causing an immediate danger to others. Any other ideas? I'm leaving them an email about my feelings on the lack of action on their part but I'm not sure what good it will do.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 1:55pm
Now, my understanding from VDOT's web page is that if you are in there with fewer than the required number when the HOV begins, you have to get off at the next exit (which makes sense--surely they don't want people cutting through the median). If you haven't come to an exit yet, it would seem that they couldn't ticket you--a problem that is a bigger issue in the mornings than in the afternoons, because if someone passes Springfield prior to 6:00 AM, say at 5:53, they can't get off until the Pentagon, even if that means being in there after 6:00. I suppose this is a "reasonableness" issue with the cops--in the situation dobbyg describes in the original post, and you get on at 3:20, you can probably get past Seminary before 3:30. If 3:30 hits when you are between Seminary and the Turkeycock Run ramp south of Duke Street, no reasonable cop would give you a ticket unless you stay in the express lanes beyond the second exit in Springfield (the flyover back to the local lanes)--rememer that you can use the express lanes through Springfield regardless of your HOV status.

If the response is that they have to exit if they may wind up in there after the restriction begins, aren't you just de facto extending the restriction hours?
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 2:10pm
I can understand going home (south) but why would a person get on HOV at 5:53 when the highway sign clearly states that violaters will be ticketed at 6AM. I was under the impression that it's not the time you get on but where you are at at 6AM.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2004 at 12:43pm
I believe you're right Julie. In other words, if you come on at Horner Road at say 5:56 a.m., you should be aware that by 6 a.m., you will probably be no where close to an exit; therefore you can be ticketed at any location anytime at 6 or after. I don't believe getting off at the closest exit at 6:02 a.m. is an option, unless of course exceeding the time limit was not under your control. If this is not the case, please advise.
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2004 at 11:16am
So now that that's clear, how can we (or I) make my dissatisfaction known to Viginias Finest?
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2004 at 10:48am
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]Now, my understanding from VDOT's web page is that if you are in there with fewer than the required number when the HOV begins, you have to get off at the next exit....

Unless there is conflicting information somewhere else, what I find on the VDOT website (www.virginiadot.org) is an HOV link that takes you to a page describing the HOV system. From there, you can link to an explanation of HOV enforcement, which says, "If you do not have the minimum number of people in your vehicle when the restrictions begin, you are a violator - even if you entered the lanes before the restrictions began." That's justification for "HOV--No Excuses" crackdowns.

JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2004 at 11:03am
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]Now, my understanding from VDOT's web page is that if you are in there with fewer than the required number when the HOV begins, you have to get off at the next exit....

Unless there is conflicting information somewhere else, what I find on the VDOT website (www.virginiadot.org) is an HOV link that takes you to a page describing the HOV system. From there, you can link to an explanation of HOV enforcement, which says, "If you do not have the minimum number of people in your vehicle when the restrictions begin, you are a violator - even if you entered the lanes before the restrictions began." That's justification for "HOV--No Excuses" crackdowns.

USA, I checked deeper into the website and did uncover info that suggests drivers should get off at the next exit. In the FAQ link on the HOV Systems page is the following question and answer:

Q: I got a ticket for traveling alone in the HOV lanes -- but I had entered the HOV lanes several minutes before the HOV restriction went into effect. What gives?

A: If you are traveling without the required number of people in your vehicle, you must exit the HOV facility once the restriction goes into effect even if you entered the HOV lanes before the restriction began. The bottom line is, you must have the required number of people in your vehicle anywhere in the lanes during HOV hours.

The first part of the answer suggests some leeway for getting out of the lanes after the restrictions take effect. Maybe a better answer would be "Plan your trip better to avoid being in the HOV lanes when the restrictions start."
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2004 at 3:42pm
quote:
USA, I checked deeper into the website and did uncover info that suggests drivers should get off at the next exit. In the FAQ link on the HOV Systems page is the following question and answer:

Q: I got a ticket for traveling alone in the HOV lanes -- but I had entered the HOV lanes several minutes before the HOV restriction went into effect. What gives?

A: If you are traveling without the required number of people in your vehicle, you must exit the HOV facility once the restriction goes into effect even if you entered the HOV lanes before the restriction began. The bottom line is, you must have the required number of people in your vehicle anywhere in the lanes during HOV hours.

The first part of the answer suggests some leeway for getting out of the lanes after the restrictions take effect. Maybe a better answer would be "Plan your trip better to avoid being in the HOV lanes when the restrictions start."

I went and saw this. It looks like they've revised it a little. I think it used to be more explicit that you could get off at the next exit. Maybe they felt it was being abused by people jumping in one minute before the restrictions kicked in.

Ultimately, I think it has to come down to a rule of reasonableness. If you're in there at 3:30 and you're between Shirlington and Seminary, no cop should give you a ticket provided you get off at Seminary unless he's a total arsehole. Similarly, in the morning, if 6:00 hits and you're maybe a mile south of Newington, it's a bit unreasonable for a cop to ticket you unless you fail to exit at the Springfield flyover. (Or another situation--if there is a wreck in the express lanes and people can't get to an exit prior to HOV hours, you can't exactly hold them responsible. Otherwise, you'd have to enact HOV 24/7 because of the POSSIBILITY that a wreck could occur.) The point being--the cops can tell if you were genuinely in there prior to the HOV hours, or if you rushed to beat the clock in there by one minute. Most cops are more likely to be lenient on someone who was in there at, say, 5:40 AM than someone who cuts down the on-ramp from the Franconia-Springfield Parkway at 5:57--and they should be.
Juli View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2004 at 1:51pm
Is there any truth to the rumor that the Hybrids are going to be no allowed on HOV after June unless they carry 3 passengers?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic