Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOV signs and plates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV signs and plates
    Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 11:44am
Hi there,

I'm doing some research on hybrids on HOV lanes and was wondering whether anyone knows/has images of Virgina's highway signs demarcating hybrid use on HOV lanes. Specifically, I would like to know what the symbol is, if there is one, and where it is placed on the highway signs. Also, supplementary to that, if anyone has pictures of the specialized license plates issued.. that would be of great help also. Cheers.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2005 at 10:43pm
There aren't any signs that mention hybrids, since hybrids don't qualify just because they are hybrids. They only qualify once they have the "Clean Special Fuel" plates installed. Any hybrids with other plates, must have 3 people inside or they are breaking the law.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 8:39am

Below is a link to an image of the VA clean fuel plate. Poor design because from a distance it is not very distinguishable.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=CF
marsy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 9:26am
Bob, thank you very much for the link. It is of great help.

I think I didn't make myself really clear in my original posting. I apologize for that.
I guess what I am asking is whether Virginia has any highway signs which clearly state that low-emission vehicles are allowed to use the HOV lane, regardless of the number of occupants in the vehicles. I found a sign in a manual produced by the US Dept of Transportation.. http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2003/Ch2B.pdf
(refer to figure r3-10b). Can anyone confirm whether these are the signs displayed in Virginia's HOV lanes? Thanks again everyone!
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 11:39am
The signs just state HOV-3 and Motorcycles.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 11:52am
Correct. And one reason Virginia probably didn't say anything on the signs, was that up until this year, VA was in violation of federal rules in allowing hybrids/other clean fuels. With the new transportation bill, states are now allowed give this exemption. Of course by the time all this was cleared up, our HOV is/will be soon jammed with hybrids. So thats the story as I know it.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 2:38pm
Except our HOV/Express lanes are not jammed with hybrids. By VDOT's count, they make up about 1/5 - about the same number as cheaters.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 2:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by marsy
[br]Bob, thank you very much for the link. It is of great help.

I guess what I am asking is whether Virginia has any highway signs which clearly state that low-emission vehicles are allowed to use the HOV lane, regardless of the number of occupants in the vehicles.

It's not based on low emissions. If it were some of the hybrids currently given "clean special fuel" plates wouldn't be allowed in there.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 7:58pm
NoSUV,
You're getting ridiculous again. 99% of the cheaters are in the windows near the open/close of the restrictions. The rest of the time, Hybrids make up much more than 1/5th of the traffic and you know it.

Actually, outside the windows mentioned, most of the cheaters are driving hybrids.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 7:50am
MDC - what you say is not so, nor based on VDOT's facts as reported out earlier this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic