Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOV signs and plates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 7:55am
Saw a cheater this morning driving a hybrid. He didn't have CF plates on his vehicle. Don't know why, but that REALLY torqued me. I can accept hybrids who go through the legal option to obtain the CF plates, but this other....argh.

Ok, so it's no worse than a conventional vehicle cheating, but I'm allowed my little excursions in venting occasionally, right?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 8:42am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]MDC - what you say is not so, nor based on VDOT's facts as reported out earlier this year.

How many hybrids have been sold in this area since those numbers were created? Most people would consider 20% a lot. MDC is exactly correct in his statement and it is supported by the VDOT report. Most of the cheaters are at the beginning and end of the HOV times. Most hybrids are right in the middle of the HOV period.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 10:54am
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
[br]MDC - what you say is not so, nor based on VDOT's facts as reported out earlier this year.

How many hybrids have been sold in this area since those numbers were created? Most people would consider 20% a lot. MDC is exactly correct in his statement and it is supported by the VDOT report. Most of the cheaters are at the beginning and end of the HOV times. Most hybrids are right in the middle of the HOV period.

Wagonman, MDC: Recommend you re-read the VDOT report. By the way, which lanes on the average move faster during the resticted times, Express (HOV) or regular? Do you have a clue?
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2005 at 9:17am
1 out of 5 is a hybrid, and NoSUV says that isn't a lot? Leaving aside the fact that hybrids have continued to be sold since those numbers were published last December (and collected well before then, in fact,) 20% of all traffic is more than sufficient to clog the lanes.

Besides, as anyone who has read the report could tell you, VDOT's "study" betrayed a fundamental unfamiliarity with the day-to-day reality of the HOV lanes on I95. For one thing, it is never made clear if they are talking about 95 alone, or about 95 and 66 combined.

Their numbers would be less subject to questioning if the raw data on a day-by-day and hour-by-hour basis were included in the report, at least as an appendix.

BUT WHO FREAKING CARES!!!!

One week from today the vote will be taken that will eliminate HOV forever from I95. And the newspapers have done NOTHING to cover the issue.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2005 at 2:17pm
quote:

Wagonman, MDC: Recommend you re-read the VDOT report. By the way, which lanes on the average move faster during the resticted times, Express (HOV) or regular? Do you have a clue?

Page 53 of 88 of the report. The first 30 minutes of the HOV time shows almost 60% cheaters and 2 % hybrids(clean fuel).
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2005 at 2:32pm
Spongebob makes a great point. It is very important to all in the slugging community that we show up for the September 21st HOT meeting. Its not important that we show up to all speak, but to show our strength is in our numbers and the interest of preserving a free HOV. So you, come, bring your wife, your children, neighbors, anyone you can for this is our LAST chance to make our stand...
beachhead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2005 at 2:49pm
I'd take my children to the meeting but qorc would object because they are not really "commuters."
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2005 at 4:01pm
^
^^^
^^^^^
^
^
^
HaHaHa...that is funny.
Paladin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paladin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2005 at 4:13pm
quote:
[br]Except our HOV/Express lanes are not jammed with hybrids. By VDOT's count, they make up about 1/5 - about the same number as cheaters.

Not jammed? Says you.

I've had several days when I have seen 6-10 Hybrids around me (all single driver). And explain to me how have 30-40% of the current vehicle total off the road is going to hurt the stop and go traffic I was in yesterday all the way from occoquan to King Street?

Yeah, we need to have draconian measures to deal with violators and no hybrid exemption.
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2005 at 6:39pm
With gas at $3 a gallon folks are buying hybrids left and right. You think things are bad now, just wait. Yes, single rider hybrids have diminished the performance of the HOV lanes. Lift the exemption for them now so the rest of us can get to and from work at the posted speed limit of 65+ MPH. Getting three riders in those hybrid cars will get that many more other cars off the road too.

We also need our fellow slugs in those hybrid cars too. When the driver is doing only 60 MPH the slugs (they can be a tag team) can tell the driver to move his/her hybrid ass.[:D]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic