Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHOV signs and plates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2005 at 7:30am
Actually, it's the pickups and SUVs that are driving more slowly now with the gas prices so high - it's rare that it's a hybrid slowing down traffic. Also, have yet to see an accident in the express lanes involving a hybrid. What's up with that?

And still, express lanes move much faster than regular lanes. Every day. With SOV hybrids. Obviously not enough of 'em to change the balance.
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2005 at 8:05am
NoSUV,
I would not and I do not rely on VDOT’s information when it contradicts what I experience. The reason this and other web sites like it exist is because VDOT is a bunch of idiots from Richmond who could give a rat's ass about us. When they tried to get us to go to HOV-2 and used a film of the HOV lanes being underutilized the date on the film was June 29. Days before July 4, heck the regular lanes were probably wide open.

Just out of morbid curiosity, do you think the current exemption for single rider hybrids should be renewed or do you think hybrids should start picking up two other riders?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2005 at 8:10am
Yes, hybrid sales have skyrocketed and we are in for another big surge of hybrids. It seems like the growh had leveled off slightly (in terms of seeing dealer plates anyway), but with the high gas prices we will see a big impact next year. But --do I have confidence that the powers that be are monitoring the growth or do I think that they will let them completely jam the HOV lane before they finally kick them out?

Also, we need to end any and all tax incentives for cars that are selling like hotcakes. Why are we subsidizing these things when 90 percent of owners are no doubt pulling down 100K? The subsidies were to get things started. They should end.
wmcg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2005 at 11:00am
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]Yes, hybrid sales have skyrocketed and we are in for another big surge of hybrids. It seems like the growh had leveled off slightly (in terms of seeing dealer plates anyway), but with the high gas prices we will see a big impact next year. But --do I have confidence that the powers that be are monitoring the growth or do I think that they will let them completely jam the HOV lane before they finally kick them out?

Also, we need to end any and all tax incentives for cars that are selling like hotcakes. Why are we subsidizing these things when 90 percent of owners are no doubt pulling down 100K? The subsidies were to get things started. They should end.

wmcg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2005 at 11:03am
quote:
Originally posted by wmcg
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]Yes, hybrid sales have skyrocketed and we are in for another big surge of hybrids. It seems like the growh had leveled off slightly (in terms of seeing dealer plates anyway), but with the high gas prices we will see a big impact next year. But --do I have confidence that the powers that be are monitoring the growth or do I think that they will let them completely jam the HOV lane before they finally kick them out?

In this mornings Detroit News (www.detroitnews.com) there is an article regarding Hybrids and presents facts that explain why they are NOT particularly good deals financially. Good reading for those of us who dislike the ugly little suckers.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2005 at 3:55pm
Everyone should already be aware that you lose money big-time when you buy a hybrid. Money that you can't make up by gas savings or incentives. All there is left, is the "coolness"/"environmental" factor, and the HOV exemption.

JKnight View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2005 at 4:17pm
I took a look at your Clean Air plates and all I can say is, "Man, are you guys lucky!" Here in SoCal we have to put FOUR stickers on the car on front, back, right and left, and they are uuugggly!

BTW, California limits hybrid use to certain fuel efficient/low polluting hybrids only, has a "soft cap" of 50,000 permits (pending review by the Highway Patrol and DoT) and a "hard cap" of 75,000 over the entire state, and the program ends on 1-1-2007 unless extended before then.

Jan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic