Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid Congestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2007 at 8:44pm
But the water is so pretty.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 2:32pm
Another interesting discussion that deserves to be bumped up above all the spam.

A little help from the site admin; there seems to be lots of junk messages lately.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 7:39pm
raymond,
Someone may view those postings as "offers just too good to pass up"! [:p]
But, for the life of me, I can't figure out who. [:I]
tangelo53 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangelo53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2007 at 4:10pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Just another thought - LA and San Fran are huge compared with DC. Why is DC in the same category? Could it be the slug system that causes the DC problem? After all, it seems logical that mass transit would ease congestion. Isn't that how slugs got their name? From cheating the mass transit system?

No SUV..it has been a while since I have been on this forum, and your posts crack me up every time I read them. Are you seriously saying that slugging clogs up HOV lanes but SOV Hybrids don't? HUH???? And to talk about cheating.....nah, I won't even waste my time!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 9:26am
tangelo - the DC area per the census bureau is the 8th largest metro area, but it has either the 2nd or 3rd worst commute, depending on which source you want to use. It's also the only area that has a slug system. Coincedence? Nope.

As you have pointed out in another post, at times the slug line is rather long. What would happen if all of the slugs were on mass transit instead of private vehicles? Would the number of cars on the road go down? OF COURSE!

That clears the relatively minor jam in the express lanes, but doesn't help the regular lanes out. Solution? Pull some of the vehicles from the regular lanes into the express lanes and everybody wins. EVERYBODY.

However, a discriminator needs to be made between which cars can go in the express lanes, and which cannot. With global warming a, well, global concern, it makes sense to use the discriminator of SULEV - and it's been proven in Virginia that such an incetive works VERY WELL.

The other possibility is through a fee, which might be referred to as a toll. In this case, you would have to charge ALL vehicles more than the price of mass transit, which would put the slugs where they belong on buses and allow folks with too much money in the regular lanes a way to buy their way out of the congestion.

Which do you prefer? We all know the current situation won't work...
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 11:08am
I think I've seen the light. Slugging causes long commutes! Amazing!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 12:08pm
NoSUV and Al Gore, now there's a pair! I suspect its an affair of convenience though, NoSUVs convenience. It is convenient for NoSUV to cozy up to the ecological right-wingers and claim allegiance, as long as it supports NoSUVs POV. But since you don't participate in slugging, what do you care?

Of course I could do the same thing if I wanted to buy my way into psuedo-ecological good graces. But I'm considering a hybrid SUV and driving to work alone; does that still count? I guess, by NoSUVs standards it would, even though a number of traditional cars get better gas mileage. But I would have to change my screen name to YeSUV!
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 1:33pm
According to NoSUV's logic, the following cars should also be allowed in the HOV's lanes as SOV's.

VOLKSWAGEN NEW BEETLE
CHEVROLET COBALT
PONTIAC G5
MAZDA 3
FORD FOCUS

Just to name a few.....

---------
Still waiting for NoSUV to put up or shut up.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 2:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]I think I've seen the light. Slugging causes long commutes! Amazing!

MDC - FINALLY! It took you long enough. Slugging was a good idea back in the 90's, but now is the major cause of our congestion problems. ALL of those slugs should be on mass transit. Then and only then will the commute get shorter for everyone.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 2:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]According to NoSUV's logic, the following cars should also be allowed in the HOV's lanes as SOV's.

VOLKSWAGEN NEW BEETLE
CHEVROLET COBALT
PONTIAC G5
MAZDA 3
FORD FOCUS

Just to name a few.....

---------
Still waiting for NoSUV to put up or shut up.

If they are SULEV, then yes.
---
Still waiting for scottt to put up or shut up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic