Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid HOV Exemption Extension?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 4:51pm
Actually, it is a FAR bigger help to the "system" than slugging - unless you narrowly define the system as slugging.

If slugging were eliminated while allowing hybrids to use the express lanes during peak commuting hours:
- slugs would probably have to use buses
- there would be less congestion (HOV-33 is better than HOV-3)
- the air would be cleaner
- fuel consumption would lower
- gas prices would be lower
- the economy would improve (just like cash for clunkers, but with no taxpayer subsidy)

THAT'S why the grandfathered expemption always passes with a HUGE majority - it just makes sense!
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by NoSUV

HUH?

Then getting rid of SOV Hybrids would be even better!

- the economy would improve (just like cash for clunkers, but with no taxpayer subsidy)

These make no sense whatsoever!
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 2:03pm
How does having single riding Hybrids help reduce traffic?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:27am
How is carpooling better than using mass transit?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 12:10pm
Well unlike most federal employees I have to pay for mass transit. Since I am the one paying I pick the cheapest route. When I drive I pick up three others.

Yes mass transit is better than car pooling. Now with that said you would also have to agree that a single riding Hybrids cause more traffic not less. So I am glad to see you would like the Hybrid exemption removed as well. Thank you for your support on this effort.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 12:41pm
For thos ewho would like the help remove the exemption please write Senator Houck. senatorhouck@comcast.net

here is what I received from him today.

Thank you for passing along your comments on this bill. It has yet to make it to the Senate, but I will keep your comments in mind should it make it over here.

wallachmj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallachmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 7:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Bell

The 2011 session is getting ready to vote on house bill #1432 and house bill #1754 to extend the exemption for SOV hybrids with clean special fuel license plates until July 2012. Please email the delegates listed below to request that they vote against this extension. We need to get these single-occupant vehicles OUT of the HOV lanes!

Delegate Thomas "Tag" Greason (Loudon County) (introduced HB 1432): deltgreason@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Kenneth Plum (Reston) (introduced HB 1754): delkplum@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Eileen Filler-Corn (Springfield):delefiller-corn@house.virginia.gov

I will be calling to ask them to vote to extend the exemption!
Spectrepilot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 9:58am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

Actually, it is a FAR bigger help to the "system" than slugging - unless you narrowly define the system as slugging.

If slugging were eliminated while allowing hybrids to use the express lanes during peak commuting hours:
- slugs would probably have to use buses

THAT'S why the grandfathered expemption always passes with a HUGE majority - it just makes sense!

Based on what data?

Sounds like another misinformed tree-hugger.

Hybrids contribute emissions to the atmosphere as well. While hybrids emit on average 25%-30% less carbon dioxide, they do so with one person on the HOV. A slug vehicle with three people will emit less carbon dioxide than the three hybrids it replaces. Until we have hydrogen vehicles, you are still putting carbon into the atmosphere.

The congestion is a function of too many hybrids with only ONE person in them.

Buses, particularly diesel powered one are FAR worse for the atmosphere. Emissions from diesel engines are many times more damaging to the environment than gasoline emissions. Diesel carbon content is 2778 grams per gallon compared to 2421 for gasoline, but the real damage comes from the particulate matter (soot), emitted when diesel is burned. Particulate matter emitted from diesel engines is double that of gasoline powered engines 60 nano versus 30 nano. The California Air Resources Board has concluded that diesel soot is responsible for 70% of the state's risk of cancer from airborne toxics. In the population as a whole, studies have shown a 26% increase in mortality in people living in soot-polluted cities.

Gas prices would not be lower...sorry, but the consumption is northern Va is not going to have an impact on the global oil situation.

The air would NOT be cleaner. Sure congestion would be less on the HOV, but you would be transferring the congestion to the suburbs as people try to reach mass transportation. With gridlock on the two lane roads in the suburbs, emissions would go UP.

It is one thing to be concerned about the environment (I am), but reality and the facts should be considered as well. Get the hybrids off the HOV and you will decrease congestion and emissions.

Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 10:47am
quote:
Originally posted by Spectrepilot

Buses, particularly diesel powered one are FAR worse for the atmosphere. Emissions from diesel engines are many times more damaging to the environment than gasoline emissions. Diesel carbon content is 2778 grams per gallon compared to 2421 for gasoline, but the real damage comes from the particulate matter (soot), emitted when diesel is burned. Particulate matter emitted from diesel engines is double that of gasoline powered engines 60 nano versus 30 nano. The California Air Resources Board has concluded that diesel soot is responsible for 70% of the state's risk of cancer from airborne toxics. In the population as a whole, studies have shown a 26% increase in mortality in people living in soot-polluted cities.

Modern diesel engines are equipped with Diesel Particulate Filters to reduce or eliminate entirely, the emission of soot into the atmosphere:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

It's similar to how modern gasoline engines are equipped with a catalytic converter. (I think they were required to be standard equipment by the mid 1980's.)

Your data is for a Diesel engine without the Diesel particulate filter.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Spectrepilot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:27am
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

Modern diesel engines are equipped with Diesel Particulate Filters to reduce or eliminate entirely, the emission of soot into the atmosphere:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

It's similar to how modern gasoline engines are equipped with a catalytic converter. (I think they were required to be standard equipment by the mid 1980's.)

Your data is for a Diesel engine without the Diesel particulate filter.

I know exactly what they are and DC metro buses do NOT have them. For a system that is already broke, $6,000 per vehicle was too much to fund.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic