Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids ! Get them off the HOV lanes !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 12:34pm
Hybrids to qualify for exemption have to have the special plates. And non-VA hybrids do not qualify. Wonder if they know they could get ticketed?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 12:37pm
vabigblue,
Out of state "clean fuel" vehicles are specifically not exempt from HOV. Cars that "qualify" for the "clean fuel" exemption, MUST have "clean special fuel" tags to use HOV with less than the specified number of occupants.

It's all in the law, and has been posted and linked here several times.

http://www.virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-rulesfaq.asp
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 12:38pm
They need to get CF tags before attempting to enter the HOV lanes. No exemption should be allow.
ronsray View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronsray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 12:54pm
Another reason to get Hybrids off the HOV Lanes -----

Want an interesting FACT about Hybrids. They actually get better gas mileage in CITY driving than in HIGHWAY driving. The Toyota Prius gets 60 mpg city, 51 mpg hwy. So they actually get better mileage in that stop & go stuff !!!! Therefore if the Govt really wants to save gas, put the Hybrids on the main lanes & get a few more gas guzzlers in HOV !!!!
See the mileage figures for yourself----http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs.shtml

Ron
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 1:10pm

vabigblue,
Out of state "clean fuel" vehicles are specifically not exempt from HOV. Cars that "qualify" for the "clean fuel" exemption, MUST have "clean special fuel" tags to use HOV with less than the specified number of occupants.

It's all in the law, and has been posted and linked here several times.

They need to get CF tags before attempting to enter the HOV lanes. No exemption should be allow.

Thanks a lot, I just wondered if they were allowed because when I do see out of staters and/or those without CF tags, they act is if they have all the qualifications to ride in the HOV lanes. Law enforcement doesn't seem to do anything about these vehicles. Interesting

dixeedog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixeedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 1:17pm
boo to the hybribs boo on you
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2004 at 3:00pm
Both the hybrids and the cheaters are problems on the HOV. In my opinion the hybrids don't meet all the specifications for why HOV was created. Yes, they are better environmentally but they don't get any vehicles off the road. The purpose of HOV is two-fold, and hybrids only address one of the issues. They should have to have the required number of passengers to ride in the HOV lanes. I think the tax break when they purchase the car and cheaper gas is incentive enough!! Violators are by far the biggest problem though. I never see the police out enforcing when I leave in the evenings (5:15-5:30) and the violators are clogging up the HOV lanes. It gets me all fired up!! In addition to the email addresses ronsray provided, here is a POC with the state police who you can complain to about the number of violators: bcox@vsp.state.va.us . Let our voices be heard!!
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 7:50am
Question about those Hybrids. Someone months back mentioned that they smell. Has anyone else noticed that? The first time I got a rotten egg smell behind one, I couldn't believe it, but when I passed the Hybrid, the smell went away. Then this past weekend I got stuck behind a Hybrid on a two-lane, twisty highway, and my pax and I had to endure miles of that smell before the offending car turned off. So much for low emissions.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 8:07am
Jigga,
Most hybrids sold in Virginia are not low emissions according to the EPA. They are only in the "better than average" category. Cars like the Volvo S80, and Acura MDX actually get better ratings emissions-wise than most(2003 and prior years) of the hybrids seen on the HOV lanes today.

The ratings on 2004 model hybrids are much improved over previous years, but there are still several cars with better pollution scores(and no "CF" exemption) that are sold in Virginia.

I haven't noticed any smell though.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2004 at 10:42am
Someone in another thread did mention a "rotten egg" type smell. Has anyone else experienced that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic