Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids - Love'em or hate'em

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cthomas25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrids - Love'em or hate'em
    Posted: 18 Nov 2004 at 1:20pm
I know we've talked about this before on the message board but this morning on my way to work on HOV I counted 18 hybrids from Potomac Mills to the Memorial Bridge exit. That was only in the 30 minutes that I'm on HOV. I think there are way more hybrids in HOV lately and though they are good for the environment wouldn't it make sense for them to either pick up 2 more people or ride in regular traffic. Don't they get better gas mileage in city traffic? Don't get me wrong I too would like to own a Hybrid to save on gas money but I would still pick up 2 passengers. If you're going that way anyways it would just make sense.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 7:16am
no, mine gets worse driving in the city UNLESS I never have to stop for lights (eg, recently, I was circling national airport, waiting to pick someone up, and I got about 74 mpg for 15 minues).

I usually run around 50-51 mpg on my highway commute, and 38-40 running around doing shopping.

Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 4:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by cthomas25
[br] I think there are way more hybrids in HOV lately and though they are good for the environment wouldn't it make sense for them to either pick up 2 more people or ride in regular traffic.

Depends on what you mean by better for the environment...many hybrids have poor emissions. Qorc sounds like he has an Insight. His rating is only Tier 2 bin 9(depending on the year since the rating have changed as Tier 2 has been adopted) unless he bought his car in a CARB state and has the CA emissions package. This rating is below Tier 2 bin 5 which is considered the average or typical new vehicle emission rating. Sure, he uses less gas but he isn't helping our air pollution.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2005 at 8:23am
no I have a Prius
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2005 at 3:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]no I have a Prius

Ok, your car is cleaner. But there are still regular cars that aren't that much different than yours in terms of emissions. But most of the other hybrids sold here are a joke in terms of "clean" emissions.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2005 at 8:00pm
Ok, in all the various threads this Hybrid issue is beaten to death.

Regardless of my own personal opinion (pro cleaner emissions, anti exemption), one topic that's never discussed is the impact of all the additional vehicles on DC.

The HOV lanes are only a thoroughfare. What's the impact on the final destination?

Where do all these additional vehicles park? Are Colonial and other parking garage operators making a killing on daily/monthly fees?

What's the effect on downtown where traffic already sucked before the emergence of hybrids?
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2005 at 6:32am
I'm a hybrid owner who picks up people (but I have never had one complain when there's a long line of drivers and I can go w/o waiting for another person [:D]). Enough of being smug! I've noticed that a lot of former sluggers have opted to purchase a hybrid. Why is that? Could it be because we are becoming rude and intolerable? When is it acceptable to engage in a long and drawn out private cell phone conversation in a public arena, like another person's car? Think about it and get a grip and go back to Ms. Manners.

When I purchased my hybrid I knew the exemption would end. I did it for two things A. it seemed to be cool at the time B. GAS! (I fill up every OTHER week.) But the hatred amongst everyone out there is AMAZING! Hybrid owners aren't, using Bush's favorite word, evil. They are simply taking advantage of something that is available at the present time to everyone and anyone. It was a gimic to get people to start investing in new technology. Or would you rather have Bush's tax break (which is significantly more than for the hybrid) for a H2?

From my standpoint of having to commute into the fair city for at least 16 years, traffic overall has exploded! People choose to drive into the city because public transportation is fairly expensive, but parking is cheap (and can be deducted pre-tax). Also, public transportation takes forever and isn't equiped to handle the populace.

So, quit being such a self-righteous bunch, keep writing your Congressmen and keep slugging!

P.S. Spongebob, yellow as you are, go back to the sea! [:)]
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2005 at 7:14am
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]no I have a Prius

Ok, your car is cleaner. But there are still regular cars that aren't that much different than yours in terms of emissions. But most of the other hybrids sold here are a joke in terms of "clean" emissions.

No, that's not true. the mileage I'm getting is typical of Prius (and I presume Honda) owners. I go to a Yahoo message board for Prius owners. I'm pretty much right in the middle.

It's not CLEANER, per se. but I use a lot less gas than most vehicles out there, which makes it cleaner in terms of emissions.

Hey, I like it because I went from dropping $42 a week on my truck (and slugging to work in other people's cars) to $14 a week and driving myself to work. I know the Hybrid exemption will end. But I like the economy of it. When it ends I will either become a driver or go back to slugging (IF they expand the 234 lot).
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2005 at 9:47am
I haven't even appeared in this thread, and yet I must deal with the cruel jibes and taunts of an aggrieved population of high-bred owners who forget that I, the Sponge, Defender of Slugdom, have championed their right to keep their blasted exemption through 2006. Fair's fair, as they say.

But in their honor today, I offer a modification of my previous term, "High-bred". From now on, let them be known as "Hypebrids", since Wagonman has blown a hole in their complacent claims of greater Greenity.

Qorc, the Sponge stands ready to welcome you and Adjguy and the other Smugs back into The Fellowship of the Slug when the hypebrid exemption ends, which, from the look of things, may be never.

When you live at the bottom of the sea, the sky is always falling. Right now, the thing I see falling on me is a hypebrid SUV carrying a load of Ford Motor Company lobbyists on their way to Capitol Hill to press for legislation that will boost the sales of their latest products. Does anyone doubt, for even a second, that the legislation will pass? The sky is falling and slugging is ending.

We are living in the End Times.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 8:45am
Can you see a new movie in the making: Revenge of the Hybrids or Hybrids Strike Back. New phrase "May the Hybrids be with you!"

Hey Sponge you've got to be the funniest sponge on the web.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic