Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids: the Catalyst for Positive Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 9:23am
I needed a new vehicle. my hybrid cost FAR less than our mini-van and virtually EVERY SUV out there. I paid $24,000 for it, got $14,000 for the truck, so basically I financed $10,000 on a home equity loan at 3.5% and get to deduct the interest.

and I'm getting 4 times the mileage I did with my truck.

so how is it a farce?
k2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2005 at 9:51pm
Does anyone want some actual MPG data on a hybrid?

In my 2004 Prius, I get 47-52 MPG on my 100-mile commute, moving at typical I-95 speeds.

At 72-75 MPH, my Prius gets 44-50 MPH, depending on the wind and air temperature. Higher mileage occurs in warm (70 degree F) weather. In the city, on short 1-2 mile trips, mileage can drop down to 35-40. On rural roads, at 35-55 MPH, I get 50-60 MPG.

My car-lifetime mileage after 29,000 miles is over 47 MPG, with 90% high-speed highway driving.

I think the Prius (2004+) is a great car. The HOV excemption is a nice bonus.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2005 at 8:20am
not true. Actually picking up slugs adds weight and would reduce MPG, let alone add 20 minutes to my commute.

Motto: "not until July 2006 or I have to"

[:D]
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2005 at 2:39pm
That would be MPGPP, or miles per gallon per passenger.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2005 at 7:51am
I, for one, am eagerly anticipating the end of the hybrid exemption since that will hasten the toll. Those in the HOV lanes need to look to their right to see the cars in the regular lanes moving at 15 mph compared to the HOV lanes at (or above) speed. Hybrids out of HOV is 100% guaranteed to increase regular lane congestion. With HOV zipping along even faster, the balance will have to come from another means - TOLL! I'd pay to move faster...
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2005 at 8:13am
I for one am glad that the hybrid exemption is ending because I can think of you sitting in the regular lanes in your hybrid for the next 10 years until the HOT is built.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2005 at 8:33am
nah, won't happen. When the exemption ends, I become a driver or start slugging again. It's no big deal. I bought the car knowing the exemption would end probably no later than July 2006. So what? Until then, I'm getting 4x the gas mileage (and every time gas goes up, I laugh at you SUV-types) and a fast commute to work.

I'm not sweating it. I slugged for 2 years. I can do it again.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2005 at 9:48am
Hey Bob, sorry, but it won't take ten years. Look at Fluor's proposal: it calls for the I95 toll booths to be built first and, of course, on the stretch with the most traffic between the beltway and the 14th St. Bridge. They plan to have them up and running next summer if they receive the go-ahead this November.

This means they will be charging a toll WITHOUT doing anything, anything at all, to improve traffic. Except force us all to get Smarttags.

Judging from today's Post article, that approval is pro forma.

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2005 at 10:32am
Yep, but I believe I recall that to extend it down south and other points, it would take quite a few years. I understand that we PWC folks would be in bad shape almost at once.
k2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2005 at 7:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]k2: you would get even better gas mileage if you picked up 2 slugs.

I know, I should pick up slugs and ride along as a slug, to put fewer miles on my car, therefore increasing my gas mileage, in a way. I have picked up slugs while in my Prius, but it is a rare event. When I picked up slugs, my commute was 2h35m up to 3h30m. I live 125 miles from work, which is definately a dumb life decision, but I will eventually move closer to work or work closer to home. By taking HOV, I can get to work in 1h55m to 2h30m, saving 30-60 minutes each way. My family appreciates that.

I do actually help reduce traffic on I-95. I stay in Arlington 2 nights a week (Mon and Wed) so I make only 2 round trips all week, and I try to catch the last bit of HOV time in the morning (8:30-9:00am) when traffic is lightest. Right at 8:55 every morning, the cheaters hop on HOV and clog it up in a flash. Even hybrid drivers are offended by that. ;)

Ignoring the fact that I am a hybrid driver, I do have some news that will cheer us all up:

I was in a store today near Richmond and I heard a man complain that he got pulled over last week and ticketed from driving HOV alone! He was upset, AND he got another ticket for not wearing his seatbelt! I told him not to mess with VA state troopers. They don't cut anyone any slack.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic