Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking at Horner Rd. is Awful!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 1:32pm
I wonder if anyone has any ideas of who to contact in regard to this. Would it be VDOT or the county or whom since the lots are public?
noellesk8r View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noellesk8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 1:44pm
VDOT would be your point of contact since the lots are owned by them. As for the "name" of a person, I don't know. You can research their website: virginiadot.org
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 1:48pm
To the best of my knowledge the Horner lot was originally a VDOT lot. The last expansion that doubled the size of the lot to 2000 + spaces was a county funded and managed project. So it is really both. However, I doubt if you could restrict it to county stickers.

I think we should ask our state and local reps to look into the issue of commuter parking in PWC again. We do have space in the 123 lot and I believe other lots in Lake Ridge(?) I'll bet there are those that use Horner that could use a Lake Ridge lots or the 123 lot if we could get sluuging started there The entire issue needs to be looked at once again.

Bob
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 1:54pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I am a Spotyslvania Co. resident who would be *thrilled* to use the Rt. 3 lot that is 2 minutes from my house. However, I will not go to the Pentagon in the evenings in order to return to that lot. We are trying the 610 lot tomorrow to see how that works, as Horner has gotten absolutely out of control.
AF Fam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Fam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2004 at 9:02pm
I learned my lesson the hard way today. I thought I would play connect the dots frm my son's school to Tackett's and shave five minutes off my commute. It's only 9 miles, right? How much traffic can there really be on Prince Wm Pkwy and Old Bridge Road? 30 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic and five school zones later, I am parked in the line of cars. To play it safe, I get out of the car and walk to the car behind me: "Is this the line to Rosslyn?" I get that glazed over expression rom this guy and depression sets in. I drive the 5-7 minutes south to Horner, arriving at 7:50 AM. There, I am the 10th car in line for Rosslyn and there is absolutley zero pedestrian traffic in the lot. Now I drive over to PM, wait about 4 minutes and I have two riders (one of whom has to give me directions to 95N since I have only been in that area twice). From leaving the house to standing in line at the coffee pot at work, it took an hour and fifty minutes! My decision is now made. Prior to 7:30 AM, I'll go to Horner. After that, it's PM!
13yearslugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 13yearslugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2004 at 3:34pm
I agree with "AF Fam's" experience with PW Pkwy and Old Bridge. I travel down the 9 miles, too, at about 8:00 AM, and it's awful!! I don't know where everything else is coming from where they say it's 10 minutes, b/c that's just not happening for me.

I also agree with Bob in that we need to get the County Sups. involved b/c everyone's getting ticketed. They're even ticketing everyone who parks along a curb (simply everyone who is not in a noted space), which is going to decrease the amount of parking that has been available for years even more. There is a meeting with the PW Board of Sups. on October 12 at 7:30 PM (info. below).

I hadn't thought about the county sticker option -- worth exploring --though I'm sure it will tick off a lot of Spotsy and Stafford people.......

JAMES J. MCCOART ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
1 COUNTY COMPLEX COURT
PRINCE WILLIAM, VIRGINIA 22192
TIME: 7:30 P.M. PUBLIC HEARINGS
www.pwcgov.org

Hopefully many will be able to make it. For me, I think the PM option looks better, and I was just told that I can slug to Horner and take the bus for $1 to PM (is that true??) I'm still a little leary though about the reliability factor --
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2004 at 4:25pm
To clarify a few points...

Maureen Caddigan's office looked into the county stickers issue before and discovered that there was no legal standing for towing or ticketing or putting up a sign that said For PWC Residents Only. For one thing, too many military people live around here and have cars legally licensed out of state, not to say county. So you can't do that without opening a can of ugly legalistic worms (plus we owe the military guys for starting the slug lines to begin with!)

The supervisors are well aware of the problem of parking at Horner, but they (rightly) shy away from interfering directly with the police -- that way lies a different kind of country than I want to live in. They police are not unreasonable about this: I've had at least 4 of these tickets waived in the last year or so.

The PROBLEM, as others have noted, is 61,000 new PWC residents in 4 years to go along with all the thousands who've moved into Stafford and F'burg, but NOT ONE new commuter parking space added since the Rte. 234 expansion in 2000/2001.

THAT's the problem. And that is why 13yearslugger is right in urging everyone to come to the board meetings, as futile as it might be, because the supervisors need to hear the need. We can't expect them to really respond, to divert needed resources, unless they see the irate taxpayers in person.

Chinadl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chinadl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 11:25am
I have to agree with you about the chaos at Honer Road. I receive a ticket on a Friday and again the following Monday. Obviously there is a problem at that lot. I went up to the county office and was told that there have been many complaints however people haven't been utilzing the 123 lot and alot of others, therefore our chances of getting any changes made my be slim to none. I think that we have to untilize all of our resources before we can complain about the problem. I do agree the Horner Rd. is the most convienent lot to get in and out but us as communters have to come up with a better solution to make this work or we are always going to have problems. I think we need to get the word out for everyone to utilze this site so that we can come up with a proactive solution in solving this problem.

Tonight, 10/12/04 @ 7:00 p.m. they are having a Public Hearing at the County Building off of Prince William Parkway. We as commuters need to start going to this meetings and voicing our opinions so that maybe a change can get into motion. I hope that everyone who reads this message is about to attend the meeting and voice their opinions.

Chinadl
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 11:45am
I'd love to see more spaces at Horner, but the hill we have to climb is the argument that "why should the county build more spaces when there are empty spaces every day at other lots like Old Hechinger?" The county can (sorta) argue with a straight face that they don't need to build more spaces until ALL existing spaces are utilized. It is hardly the county's fault that slugging out of the 123 lot doesn't usually work.

(not my personal point of view but one that does have a certain amount of validity)

Eric
Tacketts to Rosslyn rider
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2004 at 2:09pm
Ok, so I went to Potomac Mills for the first time this morning...I got there at 7:00am and there were no slugs! Just a long line of cars. I left and went to Horner. Is there a particular time for PM that is better? It is now closer to where I live and I thought I would give it a try
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic