Print Page | Close Window

EEO and HOV

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1014
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 12:24am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: EEO and HOV
Posted By: Uhura
Subject: EEO and HOV
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:25pm
I notice that a few of the folks on this board feel it's necessary to disclose if a driver-specifically a "problem" or rude driver-is BLACK.

This info is given even when it is unnecessary i.e. when the person telling the tale has license plate numbers and / or a fairly detailed description of the vehicle...What gives?

Do non-Black slugs actually think twice before getting into a Black person's car?

Live Long and Prosper

Replies:
Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:26pm
I don't (think twice, that is).

quote:
Originally posted by Uhura

Do non-Black slugs actually think twice before getting into a Black person's car?

Posted By: Subaru
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:34pm
No [V]

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:37pm
Perhaps I should rephrase the question:

Why does the race / ethnicity of a rude or "problem" driver need to be disclosed if the driver is non-White (especially when a detailed description of the vehicle is given)?

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:51pm
It doesn't.

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:01pm
I think some people try to give as much identifying information as possible, kind of like giving multiple landmarks when giving directions. I suppose if you take it solely from a realism standpoint, there are fewer black drivers than white drivers, so it's one more piece of identifying information.

Posted By: ronin718
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:38pm
I took a look at the Do-not-ride-with discussion, and it appeared that the racial description covered the spectrum. Maybe some folks are just a little more sensitive than others. Personally, I'd like to have as much info as possible, especially with the large number of similar vehicles out there. I'm more likely to see the driver and remember the description than I am the license plate.

Posted By: slugbug
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:40pm
I'M BLACK, WAS BORN BLACK, RAISED BLACK, ETC., ETC....AND MY PERSONAL OPIONION IS THAT YOU'RE READING TOO DEEP INTO CONVERSATIONS. [;)] We communicate casually on this site and in MANY instances, when telling stories, specifics are mentioned, but it's never to SINGLE out any one and various cultures, types, etc., have been mentioned. Let's not start THIS. K?![:D]

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by slugbug
[br]I'M BLACK, WAS BORN BLACK, RAISED BLACK, ETC., ETC....AND MY PERSONAL OPIONION IS THAT YOU'RE READING TOO DEEP INTO CONVERSATIONS. [;)] We communicate casually on this site and in MANY instances, when telling stories, specifics are mentioned, but it's never to SINGLE out any one and various cultures, types, etc., have been mentioned. Let's not start THIS. K?![:D]

Whenever someone says that a person is "reading too deeply" or "you're being too sensitive" it usually means that the person is right on target. Certain things are deeply ingrained-so deeply that we begin to accept them and think of them as "normal" or "OK."

At any rate, you are certainly entitled to your opinion-as am I. And
I am not "starting" anything: I am asking a question.

You replied that the mentioning of someone's race / ethnicity is "never to SINGLE out any one"; however, you cannot say with any degree of certainty what is in someone's mind when they describe a person. You can only speak for yourself.

By the way: Your race does not give any more or less validity to your opinion on this topic, so I am not certain why you felt the need to mention it in this discussion....Interestingly, it seems that you may be of the same mindset as some of the other folks that I observed.

Carry on.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 3:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]I took a look at the Do-not-ride-with discussion, and it appeared that the racial description covered the spectrum. Maybe some folks are just a little more sensitive than others. Personally, I'd like to have as much info as possible, especially with the large number of similar vehicles out there. I'm more likely to see the driver and remember the description than I am the license plate.

Wow...so it's actually easier to remember and identify "a Black lady" out of the scores of Black ladies that pick up slugs than it is to identify and remember a vanity license plate?

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 4:15pm
Methinks there is a troll among us.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 4:18pm
ME THINKS....Lets not give Uhura the ENERGY on this topic.[xx(]

quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]Methinks there is a troll among us.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 4:58pm
Methinks Uhura has changed her handle from another (which I can't recall off-hand). The style seems very familiar, and very confrontational in a passive-aggressive nature.

Uhura... Not everyone in VA has vanity tags, and not every black lady drives the same kind of car. Leave the race card game for the lawyers and politicians, okay?

Posted By: aceofspade
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 5:52pm
I'm always described as "the redhead" as if I have no other qualities. Annoying, yes, but it's human nature to attach a descriptor to someone.

I also notice people tend to say "girl" and some get offended at that, too.

We're all just trying to get to work.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 7:52am
quote:
Originally posted by USA

Hold on now-I am labelled a "troll" because I raised a question that is unpleasant to you?

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 7:56am
quote:
Originally posted by aceofspade
[br]I'm always described as "the redhead" as if I have no other qualities. Annoying, yes, but it's human nature to attach a descriptor to someone.

I agree that it is human nature to add a descriptor.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 7:58am
quote:
[br]Methinks Uhura has changed her handle from another (which I can't recall off-hand). The style seems very familiar, and very confrontational in a passive-aggressive nature.

Uhura... Not everyone in VA has vanity tags, and not every black lady drives the same kind of car. Leave the race card game for the lawyers and politicians, okay?

Wrong. This is my first time on this board.

Thanks for addressing the question and not attacking the person who asked it.

If you don't like my question, then why not move on to another thread?

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 11:46am
quote:
Hold on now-I am labelled a "troll" because I raised a question that is unpleasant to you?

It's not unpleasant to me; I just shake my head and say, "Here it goes again...." I called you a troll because when people responded substantively, giving a reason why they believe (NOTE: their OPINION) it is OK to provide this information, your responses would not acknowledge any kind of legitimacy in the other people's opinions.

Let's take this post of yours: "Wow...so it's actually easier to remember and identify 'a [b]lack lady' out of the scores of [b]lack ladies that pick up slugs than it is to identify and remember a vanity license plate?"

Given that the majority of cars do not have personalized license plates, what is one to do when the car is, say, a silver Honda and you didn't get the entire license number? I think it makes a lot more sense to say, for example, "It was a silver Honda driven by a younger black lady and I think the license plate started with ZZX but I am not 100% positive," than to say, "It was a silver Honda with a license plate that I believe started with ZZX." What if there are four or five silver Hondas with ZZX plates? After all, "a silver Honda" is hardly unique around here! (I once had a silver Honda, and someone on the next block over had a silver Honda with a license plate with the same first three letters, so this is not totally improbable.)

Ultimately people view this information as a useful way of identifying the particular driver and will continue to do so, whether you like it or not, because it is useful to give as much descriptive information as possible.

Now, let's see whether you have a substantive response.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 11:52am
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]I'm always described as "the redhead" as if I have no other qualities. Annoying, yes, but it's human nature to attach a descriptor to someone.

Live Long and Prosper

OK, here we go.

So now, just because people are trying to describe a particular person who displays poor slug/driver behaviors, so that others may avoid having to go through certain aggravations on their morning/afternoon commute, we're all bigots!?!?!?! I consider myself to be an intelligent and intuitive person and I cannot say that I have seen any instance where race was mentioned in any other way than to be a physical descriptor. There were no personal vendettas, political agendas, conspiracy theories, or, dare I say, prejudices on anyone's part. Get over yourself. The slug community is NOT out to get the black community, the hispanic community, the white community, or the purple-polka-dotted-two-headed community. We're all the same community!!!

Secondly, if a whole bunch of people feel that you are "reading too deeply" or "being too sensative," it probably means that you're reading too deeply or being too sensative. Not that you're "right on target" with anything. This is a slugging forum, not a social activists' forum. Perhaps if you don't like how things are being described, YOU should be the one to read another thread. There's people of all races reading this board an so far, you're the only one to whip out the bigot card. Now, you have personally offended me and many others who read this forum. Now we will feel uncomfortable when we want to describe negative events in slugging because we'll have to think twice about describing someone. Hmmm, can't say blonde, might offend the fair-haired folks. Can't say short! Might offend the vertically challenged!!

Oh, and I'd like to go ahead and answer a question you posed in your first post on this assanine subject. You asked, "Do non-Black slugs actually think twice before getting into a Black person's car?" The answer is no, except in the case where there is a car sitting up front with a sign in it that says "Black People Only." Then, yes, non-black folks will not enter that vehicle. Feel free to search the forum for my post on that topic a while back.

Here's a theory for you. See if you can pick this one apart. In my experience, I've found that the people who are quickest to point the bigot finger are those that should be pointing at themselves.

If you want to discuss controversial topics, go find out who killed JFK. Or better yet, I can direct you to a few good UFO websites and you can conspire and theorize to your heart's content.

Leave your biases and predispositions off this forum please. They are completely inappropriate here, since, if not for any other reason, they don't pertain to slugging in the least bit!!

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 11:55am
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by USA

Live Long and Prosper

And now we're "labeling" you? Are you for real? I swear, you're just looking for a reason to be oppressed, or whatever you want to call it. Tell ya what, take the rest of the day off, go for a walk in a park, and loosen up for cryin' out loud!! Unbelievable!!

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:27pm
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! [;)]

quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

OK, here we go.

So now, just because people are trying to describe a particular person who displays poor slug/driver behaviors, so that others may avoid having to go through certain aggravations on their morning/afternoon commute, we're all bigots!?!?!?! I consider myself to be an intelligent and intuitive person and I cannot say that I have seen any instance where race was mentioned in any other way than to be a physical descriptor. There were no personal vendettas, political agendas, conspiracy theories, or, dare I say, prejudices on anyone's part. Get over yourself. The slug community is NOT out to get the black community, the hispanic community, the white community, or the purple-polka-dotted-two-headed community. We're all the same community!!!

Secondly, if a whole bunch of people feel that you are "reading too deeply" or "being too sensative," it probably means that you're reading too deeply or being too sensative. Not that you're "right on target" with anything. This is a slugging forum, not a social activists' forum. Perhaps if you don't like how things are being described, YOU should be the one to read another thread. There's people of all races reading this board an so far, you're the only one to whip out the bigot card. Now, you have personally offended me and many others who read this forum. Now we will feel uncomfortable when we want to describe negative events in slugging because we'll have to think twice about describing someone. Hmmm, can't say blonde, might offend the fair-haired folks. Can't say short! Might offend the vertically challenged!!

Oh, and I'd like to go ahead and answer a question you posed in your first post on this assanine subject. You asked, "Do non-Black slugs actually think twice before getting into a Black person's car?" The answer is no, except in the case where there is a car sitting up front with a sign in it that says "Black People Only." Then, yes, non-black folks will not enter that vehicle. Feel free to search the forum for my post on that topic a while back.

Here's a theory for you. See if you can pick this one apart. In my experience, I've found that the people who are quickest to point the bigot finger are those that should be pointing at themselves.

If you want to discuss controversial topics, go find out who killed JFK. Or better yet, I can direct you to a few good UFO websites and you can conspire and theorize to your heart's content.

Leave your biases and predispositions off this forum please. They are completely inappropriate here, since, if not for any other reason, they don't pertain to slugging in the least bit!!

Posted By: slugguru
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:30pm
I second that...............
quote:
[br]THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! [;)]

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

OK, here we go.

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:32pm
Well put! Mirangus.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:43pm
Mirangus... A little harsher than I would've put it unless I was feeling really cranky, but you pretty well hit the nail on the head. Like I told my carpool partner yesterday, this would likely end up as a "lively" discussion.

Posted By: Dhacim
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:59pm
"Oh well...like I said older white Chevrolet Suburban. 30+ tall white guy, baseball cap, and baseball bat in the backseat. Beware!"

The above quote was taken from the "Do not ride list" thread....It's not just non-whites knucklehead....

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 1:21pm
Great post.

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

OK, here we go.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:51pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

OK, here we go.

Wow-thanks for your opinion.

Another question: If this topic is so assinine, why all the attention and why does it take several of you to attack me for asking my question?

BTW-Just because a whole bunch of people agree on something does not make it right. Consider some of the more horrific things that have happened to certain groups of people here in the US and abroad because of a "mob mentality" because no one had the balls to say "Why?"...

I posed a question-This discussion did not have to get hostile.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:56pm
THIS should've NEVER been a DISCUSSION!!~!!!!! [:(!]

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:57pm
quote:
[br]THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! [;)]

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

OK, here we go.

I think you're the one that may need a walk to cool off. Your reponses seem highly emotional. Please calm down.

Since you are not the administrator of this board I will ignore your instructions about what to leave off the forum.

Again, if you don't like my question and this topic is so assinine, why are you (and others) posting so many replies and why are you (and the others) investing so much energy?

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 3:47pm
Please Uhura, you brought this issue to the board. This is a slug sight, not some place to voice your opinion about race. All these responses are right about your post. We only deal with traffic and slugging issues. I'm responding because I enjoy reading, posting and responding and don't need people on this site to become apprehensive about what they write. As long as it's not offensive. Identifying a driver on the "do-not-ride" list as a "black lady" is not offensive in my opinion and I'm a Black and partly Dominican. As the other posts allude, get a grip and stop sounding like the lady who's described on the list. Thanks

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 4:26pm
Uhura's latest posts solidify my opinion of Uhura because they do not respond to mirangus and slugbug.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2004 at 3:07pm
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]Uhura's latest posts solidify my opinion of Uhura because they do not respond to mirangus and slugbug.

Please elaborate if you care to, but keep in mind that your opinion whether "solidified" or "liquified" has no effect on mine.

As for the rest of you, if your answer is that the disclosure of race / ethnicity is merely descriptive then say that & leave it at that.

BE ADVISED: You can't cyber bully someone into NOT asking a question-no matter how many of you jump onto the bandwagon.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2004 at 3:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]Please Uhura, you brought this issue to the board. This is a slug sight, not some place to voice your opinion about race. All these responses are right about your post. We only deal with traffic and slugging issues. I'm responding because I enjoy reading, posting and responding and don't need people on this site to become apprehensive about what they write. As long as it's not offensive. Identifying a driver on the "do-not-ride" list as a "black lady" is not offensive in my opinion and I'm a Black and partly Dominican. As the other posts allude, get a grip and stop sounding like the lady who's described on the list. Thanks

Here's another person who feels that because they are "part Black" they will be able to "convince" me that my question should not have been posed.

(Sigh)As I told the other person who was Black or part Black-Your opinion will not carry any more (or any less) weight because of your race. I am not sure why you (and that other individual) felt compelled to disclose the information.

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 7:55am
Damn, give it a rest!

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 8:53am
quote:
[br]ME THINKS....Lets not give Uhura the ENERGY on this topic.[xx(]

quote:
Originally posted by USA

Please take Slugbug's advise.

Posted By: aceofspade
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 9:26am
Just wondering...are you offended if someone is described as "male" or "female" too?

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 10:13am
Yes, Uhura, I tend to get emotional when I'm indirectly "labeled" a bigot. I'm wondering why I wasted all that time responding to you, too. I usually don't squander my time on such doltish issues.

Well, it seems that you are not posting for the good of slugging, but to create a stir on some self-motivated social agenda. And you're absolutely right, we can't cyber bully you, but we sure can cyber ignore you!! Which is what I plan to do. I encourage others to do the same. Preach to your heart's content...it'll be to an empty choir!!

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 10:30am
One question, then I am done with this as well....

Uhura, you have all types of snappy responses for people that seem to provide rebuttals to your opinion. Yet you had no reponse for my post that clearly illustrated that it wasn't simply non-whites that were "racially profiled" (Please see the last post on page 1).

I'm clearly not offended by that....Why should you be??

And I'm out.......

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 11:31am
quote:
Originally posted by Dhacim
Uhura, you have all types of snappy responses for people that seem to provide rebuttals to your opinion. Yet you had no reponse for my post that clearly illustrated that it wasn't simply non-whites that were "racially profiled" (Please see the last post on page 1).

This is why I called Uhura a troll--failure to respond to substantive posts other than simply to say things along the lines of "my opinion is right" (see Uhura's post from 4 June 2004 at 14:51) is classic troll behavior.

To hell with this thread. I will continue to read it for amusement purposes, but I don't plan on wasting my time with further responses.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 1:04pm
quote:
[br]One question, then I am done with this as well....

I'm clearly not offended by that....Why should you be??

And I'm out.......

The answer to your question is simple: Honestly, I did not reply to you because you called me a "knucklehead." I tend not to respond to people who call me names.

People usually resort to name calling and profanity when they feel that they are losing an argument or when they feel "cornered."

The fact remains that people don't usually mention the race of a "perpetrator" when said perpetrator is White; however, they must throw it in if the perpetrator is other than White--even when it is uncessary because there's plenty of identifying info...This applies to more than a few of the posts on this board.

It's just an observation-please get over it.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 1:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
quote:

This is why I called Uhura a troll--failure to respond to substantive posts other than simply to say things along the lines of "my opinion is right" (see Uhura's post from 4 June 2004 at 14:51) is classic troll behavior.

To hell with this thread. I will continue to read it for amusement purposes, but I don't plan on wasting my time with further responses.

Come on now--His post was FAR from substanive.

If it makes you feel better to think of me as a "troll" then so be it.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 1:06pm
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]
quote:
[br]ME THINKS....Lets not give Uhura the ENERGY on this topic.[xx(]

quote:
Originally posted by USA

Please take an english class. The word is A D V I C E....

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 1:12pm
quote:
[br]Just wondering...are you offended if someone is described as "male" or "female" too?

Interesting question. I'll give you an example:

There's a web site displaying pictures of US Armed Forces personnel in Iraq performing various tasks. All of the captions say "A Marine abc" and "A Marine xyz"--There's is one caption that says "This FEMALE Marine abc."

Clearly there must be a meaningful difference in the web master's mind if that webmaster felt that all of the other Marines were "Marines" but this particular Marine had to be a "FEMALE Marine."

It reminded me of a time where a caption saying "This BLACK Marine abc" would have been acceptable.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 1:44pm
Uhura....Ok, but you still have provided no response to the quote that I placed as the second to last post on the first page where an individual was identified as being white.....I wasn't offended by it.

This whole thread started because you stated "non-whites" were being identified....Basically what I'm saying is you have made a big deal out of nothing.

Posted By: ScarletLSG
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 2:01pm
As a former FEMALE Marine ... I can say with ease that I could CARE LESS if I'm referred to as Female AND Marine. In my opinion, there's NOTHING derogatory in being called what you are. White Man/Black Man/White Woman/Black Woman/White Marine/Black Marine.

It is intended to BE what it is ... descriptive and nothing else. If I heard Dumb Female Marine ... I wouldn't react to the female Marine part ... but the DUMB, that would tick me off ... unless I truly WAS dumb and didn't recognize it to be derogatory.

ScarletLSG

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]Just wondering...are you offended if someone is described as "male" or "female" too?

There's a web site displaying pictures of US Armed Forces personnel in Iraq performing various tasks. All of the captions say "A Marine abc" and "A Marine xyz"--There's is one caption that says "This FEMALE Marine abc."

Clearly there must be a meaningful difference in the web master's mind if that webmaster felt that all of the other Marines were "Marines" but this particular Marine had to be a "FEMALE Marine."

It reminded me of a time where a caption saying "This BLACK Marine abc" would have been acceptable.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 2:55pm
As I said before, take Slugbug's advise...oh, I'm sorry, the word is A D V I C E.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 8:30pm
quote:
[br]Uhura....Ok, but you still have provided no response to the quote that I placed as the second to last post on the first page where an individual was identified as being white.....I wasn't offended by it.

This whole thread started because you stated "non-whites" were being identified....Basically what I'm saying is you have made a big deal out of nothing.

You were not offended by it? OK.

Each of us are a result of our experiences-both pleasant and unpleasant. That's why we see the world through different eyes.

Things that offend a Black female may not offend a White male and vice versa. Then again, two Black females or two White males may not see eye to eye on the same issue.

I hope that helps.

I had no intention of taking this where all the bandwagoneers have.

This discussion did not have to turn hostile but it did. If people REALLY thought that my question had no merit, why have so many of them responded? Stop & think why that could be...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 8:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]
quote:

Please take an english class. The word is A D V I C E....

You BOTH need to take an [E]nglish class--your spelling and her grammar are atrocious.

My grammar is fine. Is that the only error found? How S A D.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 8:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]As a former FEMALE Marine ... I can say with ease that I could CARE LESS if I'm referred to as Female AND Marine. In my opinion, there's NOTHING derogatory in being called what you are. White Man/Black Man/White Woman/Black Woman/White Marine/Black Marine.

It is intended to BE what it is ... descriptive and nothing else. If I heard Dumb Female Marine ... I wouldn't react to the female Marine part ... but the DUMB, that would tick me off ... unless I truly WAS dumb and didn't recognize it to be derogatory.

ScarletLSG

quote:
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

Thanks for your opinion.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 10:32am
Now this is just getting stupid.....

Posted By: PSMITH4780
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 10:46am
We need to stop fueling the fire.......

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 11:30am
As was previously mentioned, it's merely descriptive, just like every other information-related entity (i.e. police, medical, government, etc.).

Besides, the white/black/hispanic/middle eastern/oriental/Pacific Islander man/woman/homo sapien driving the
white/black/blue/silver/tan/teal/red/yellow/gold/purple/green
Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Chrysler/Pontiac/Buick/Oldsmobile/GM/Lincoln/Mercury/Cadillac/Toyota/Nissan/Honda/Subaru/Lexus/Infinity/
Acura/Kia/Hyundai/Datsun/Yugo/AMC/Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Saab/Fiat still can't drive worth beans and shouldn't be allowed out of the house. Did I miss anyone?

(I must give credit to this line of thought to my carpool partner, who happens to be even less PC than I am. [:D] )

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 12:27pm
Perhaps it's time to apply the no talking (writing) rule to this thread...

Posted By: PSMITH4780
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 12:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]Perhaps it's time to apply the no talking (writing) rule to this thread...

Amen!

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 12:29pm
Works for me...

Posted By: mfassler
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 4:25pm
Uhura--Ronin718 gets right to the heart of it. Just as people are described as man/woman, what's wrong with white/black/hispanic, etc... Since you're in the car for the length of time, not outside it, you may not notice the make/model/color/license plate of the vehicle, but are more likely to describe the person. What is wrong with describing what a person looks like? It's NOT derogatory, just descriptive. Why is that a problem for you? Is it not okay to say what gender the person is either? Or their hair color or their body-build? Why so sensative about describing people to others?

quote:
[br]As was previously mentioned, it's merely descriptive, just like every other information-related entity (i.e. police, medical, government, etc.).

Besides, the white/black/hispanic/middle eastern/oriental/Pacific Islander man/woman/homo sapien driving the
Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Chrysler/Pontiac/Buick/Oldsmobile/GM/Lincoln/Mercury/Cadillac/Toyota/Nissan/Honda/Subaru/Lexus/Infinity/
Acura/Kia/Hyundai/Datsun/Yugo/AMC/Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Porsche/Volvo/Saab/Fiat still can't drive worth beans and shouldn't be allowed out of the house. Did I miss anyone?

(I must give credit to this line of thought to my carpool partner, who happens to be even less PC than I am. [:D] )

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 4:58pm
quote:
[br]Works for me...

"I've noticed the same thing about useless comments. I've noticed a couple users particularly guilty of said actions (like the comment "hmmmmm"). Maybe they're trying to run up their post count so they can get more stars by their name."

Ronin718, this was a comment that you posted not long ago. I don't mind your "works for me..." reply. We're free to write what we feel at a particular moment as long as we respect others' opinions. However, I'm wondering why you've noticed "useless" comments from others when you're posting a "works for me." According to your standars, it doesn't add much either. I don't see the difference from one to another. Just for the record, I posted one of the "hmmmmm" comments.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2004 at 10:18am
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]Works for me...

"I've noticed the same thing about useless comments. I've noticed a couple users particularly guilty of said actions (like the comment "hmmmmm"). Maybe they're trying to run up their post count so they can get more stars by their name."

Ronin718, this was a comment that you posted not long ago. I don't mind your "works for me..." reply. We're free to write what we feel at a particular moment as long as we respect others' opinions. However, I'm wondering why you've noticed "useless" comments from others when you're posting a "works for me." According to your standars, it doesn't add much either. I don't see the difference from one to another. Just for the record, I posted one of the "hmmmmm" comments.

I'm not interested in the proverbial "p***ing contest", but let's do a percentage ratio. I've got one "hmmmmm"-type, non-contributable comment in 60 posts. That equates to less than 2% of my quotes. By comparison, of 209 posts in just over three pages of topics you've posted in (based on the query allowed by this forum's software), you have 57 by my count, for a 27% ratio. Now, my count is my opinion, but I feel I was lenient in determining the value of your contribution to the topic, so that number could be higher. Others may be more or less generous, depending on their point of view. However, comments such as "I don't know. Anyone?" and "Exactly!" certainly fail to contribute, not to mention the several "." posts.

I didn't name names, yet you called me out. You've had your comment, I've refuted with stats. I will say that you've improved the quality of your posts since your early days. I'll leave it to you, Admin, or the consensus of our fellow forum members to determine how far this goes.

Posted By: glacier
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2004 at 10:20am
Just when you thought this thread had died..........

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2004 at 10:25am
Isn't it so much fun when we can take potshots at each other instead of discussing the real issues? [:p] I guess that's why these forums are so popular, because we can freely express our opinions in a non-attributable manner.

Posted By: mfassler
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2004 at 10:29am
Somehow this thread has TOTALLY changed subject from the way one describes a driver using skin-color as a desciptor, into talking about short responses??

Please stay on topic and only write if you have something to say about the ORIGINAL topic...

610-SLUG

quote:
[br]Isn't it so much fun when we can take potshots at each other instead of discussing the real issues? [:p] I guess that's why these forums are so popular, because we can freely express our opinions in a non-attributable manner.

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2004 at 10:33am
mfassler... I was attempting to interject humor via facetiousness. But you're right, this whole line has become a "shotgun blast" at anyone and everyone, with yours truly being as guilty as the next. Mea culpa. [B)]

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2004 at 11:39am
quote:
[br]Now this is just getting stupid.....

Maybe so, but it sure is entertaining.

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2004 at 2:48pm
quote:
[br]As was previously mentioned, it's merely descriptive, just like every other information-related entity (i.e. police, medical, government, etc.).

Great post!

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2004 at 2:51pm
quote:
Originally posted by mfassler
[br]Uhura--Ronin718 gets right to the heart of it. Just as people are described as man/woman, what's wrong with white/black/hispanic, etc... Since you're in the car for the length of time, not outside it, you may not notice the make/model/color/license plate of the vehicle, but are more likely to describe the person. What is wrong with describing what a person looks like? It's NOT derogatory, just descriptive. Why is that a problem for you? Is it not okay to say what gender the person is either? Or their hair color or their body-build? Why so sensative about describing people to others?

quote:

I am not sure what you mean by "sensitive."

I noticed something and posted a question-plain and simple.

In my mind the "sensitive" people were the ones that came into this thread with their emotional rsponses about the issue.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2004 at 5:08pm
Shhhhhh, can you here it? It's a whisper speaking words of wisdom. It's saying: let it go............

Cheers,

Glacier

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 1:57pm
The End.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 1:14pm
Uhura,

Thank You, you have made us all just a little dumber....

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 1:27pm
quote:
[br]Uhura,

Thank You, you have made us all just a little dumber....

Come on now-take responsibility for your own intellect...[:0]

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 1:45pm
As per Newton's third law "For every action, there is an equal or greater reaction." So I would contend that it is YOU...my friend, who are wasting precious moments of all our lives.

As for taking responsibility of my own intellect....well, we'll see about that.

"Some people dream of success every day, others wake up and work hard at it."

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 2:33pm
quote:
[br]As per Newton's third law "For every action, there is an equal or greater reaction." So I would contend that it is YOU...my friend, who are wasting precious moments of all our lives.

As for taking responsibility of my own intellect....well, we'll see about that.

"Some people dream of success every day, others wake up and work hard at it."

Live Long and Prosper

You are giving me WAY more power than I deserve. A person can only waste your time if YOU allow it.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 3:45pm
You're right....I am....Thanks for the banter....

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 7:06pm
quote:
[br]You're right....I am....Thanks for the banter....

No prob-I like to educate whenever I can...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 9:56am
Oh...I wasn't educated....I said thanks for the banter....If I learned anything at all, it is that Evolution is more kind to some than to others....nothing further.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 10:45am
quote:
[br]Oh...I wasn't educated....I said thanks for the banter....If I learned anything at all, it is that Evolution is more kind to some than to others....nothing further.

Oh-I think you were educated willingly or not...

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: salsita
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 10:46am
Is this over yet?

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 11:39am
It should be. This thread is a perfect example of what happens when you argue with a fool: you accomplish nothing and one gets snared in the folly of the.......

Cheers,

Glacier

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 1:12pm
If there's one thing I've noticed on this thread and the "Do-Not-Ride-With List" thread, it's that you will NOT get the last word with the originator of this thread. Any comment that can be construed as an insult, or opinions in opposition to the originator's, will only invite further discussion. The only way this thread will die is if no further messages are posted.

Uhura, I invite you to prove me wrong......

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 1:15pm
If there's one thing I've noticed on this thread and the "Do-Not-Ride-With List" thread, it's that you will NOT get the last word with the originator of this thread. Any comment that can be construed as an insult, or opinions in opposition to the originator's, will only invite further discussion. The only way this thread will die is if no further messages are posted.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 12:38pm
quote:
[br]If there's one thing I've noticed on this thread and the "Do-Not-Ride-With List" thread, it's that you will NOT get the last word with the originator of this thread. Any comment that can be construed as an insult, or opinions in opposition to the originator's, will only invite further discussion. The only way this thread will die is if no further messages are posted.

I have a comment. There have been many angry replies and cyber attacks to include name-calling. Name calling IS an attempt to insult someone.

Anyway-Why do wish to have "the last word"-is this an ego thng now?

I think we should just let it go.

Be gone from this thread and post no more...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 12:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]It should be. This thread is a perfect example of what happens when you argue with a fool: you accomplish nothing and one gets snared in the folly of the.......

Cheers,

Glacier

Calling someone a "fool" is not going to change a thing, but keep 'em coming...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 4:52pm
quote:

Nope, but you proved my point. [:D] Thank you.

quote:

[:D] And now the queen desires to banish me from her kingdom. I'm ROTFL!!! [:p] I'll still be checking out the thread, but I'll try to refrain from responding to YOUR posts. I'll also try to refrain from responding to anyone else's posts that might regard you. Sound fair? Sooooooo, by your leave......

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 4:57pm
Ronin.......LOL, LOL, you crack me up!!!!!!! [:p]

quote:
[br]
quote:

quote:

[:D] And now the queen desires to banish me from her kingdom. I'm ROTFL!!! [:p] I'll still be checking out the thread, but I'll try to refrain from responding to YOUR posts. I'll also try to refrain from responding to anyone else's posts that might regard you. Sound fair? Sooooooo, by your leave......

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 5:00pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]If there's one thing I've noticed on this thread and the "Do-Not-Ride-With List" thread, it's that you will NOT get the last word with the originator of this thread. Any comment that can be construed as an insult, or opinions in opposition to the originator's, will only invite further discussion. The only way this thread will die is if no further messages are posted.

I have a comment. There have been many angry replies and cyber attacks to include name-calling. Name calling IS an attempt to insult someone.

Live Long and Prosper

I'm still completely offended that you called me and many others in here a bigot. You didn't say the word, but your intentions were clear. If you can't take it, don't dish it out, especially first. You rolled out first with the insults, now you can sit back and enjoy what you created. You don't want to be insulted, don't insult others. You want to post your opinion? Fine. Just know that it is only fair to allow others to do the same without your condemnation. I only see one individual posting here who has the appearance of being closed-minded. (I am not CALLING you closed-minded, I'm pointing out that there is the APPEARANCE of closed-mindedness).

You want to sit here and claim "oppression" because a whole bunch of people are stomping on your views. Could it be, quite possibly, that you are wrong? Until you examine that avenue, you are not going to get a whole lot of respect here. You posted an observation. Many people responded and said that that is not the case. You heard it from the horse's mouth. They weren't "opposing view points," they were stated facts as told by the participants themselves. After receiving that kind of feedback, it would be reasonable, and expected, to let the subject go.

And take this for what it's worth, it is my observation that you do spend a lot of time trying to get in the last word. It looks pretty ignorant. (No, I'm am not CALLING you ignorant, I'm saying it LOOKS ignorant).

I have made this post as achingly PC as I possibly could, stating facts and without bias. Please finish arguing with everyone here. We are not out to oppress you, I assure you. We're just trying to get home.

The sky is blue.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 5:05pm
For all the Church Folks.........CAN I GET AN "AMEN"! FOR THE WELL PUT STATEMENT FROM MIRANGUS!!!!! [:)]

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

I'm still completely offended that you called me and many others in here a bigot. You didn't say the word, but your intentions were clear. If you can't take it, don't dish it out, especially first. You rolled out first with the insults, now you can sit back and enjoy what you created. You don't want to be insulted, don't insult others. You want to post your opinion? Fine. Just know that it is only fair to allow others to do the same without your condemnation. I only see one individual posting here who has the appearance of being closed-minded. (I am not CALLING you closed-minded, I'm pointing out that there is the APPEARANCE of closed-mindedness).

You want to sit here and claim "oppression" because a whole bunch of people are stomping on your views. Could it be, quite possibly, that you are wrong? Until you examine that avenue, you are not going to get a whole lot of respect here. You posted an observation. Many people responded and said that that is not the case. You heard it from the horse's mouth. They weren't "opposing view points," they were stated facts as told by the participants themselves. After receiving that kind of feedback, it would be reasonable, and expected, to let the subject go.

And take this for what it's worth, it is my observation that you do spend a lot of time trying to get in the last word. It looks pretty ignorant. (No, I'm am not CALLING you ignorant, I'm saying it LOOKS ignorant).

I have made this post as achingly PC as I possibly could, stating facts and without bias. Please finish arguing with everyone here. We are not out to oppress you, I assure you. We're just trying to get home.

The sky is blue.

Posted By: Johnny Cakes
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 8:08pm
For the love of god, where is the moderator! 90% of these posts should be deleted.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2004 at 8:52am
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Cakes
[br]For the love of god, where is the moderator! 90% of these posts should be deleted.

Oh, but Johnny Cakes, we're having soooooooo much fun!!! [8D] Part of having a good personal psyche is the ability to laugh at one's self. [:o)] From some of these posts, it would appear I'm not the only one laughing.

While I'm sure the original intention of these forums was for the exchange of information, they also seem to serve as a sounding board, a way to vent, and a way to poke a little fun at the system. Better to blow off the steam here than on the road.

And, yes, I agree that a goodly number of the posts in this thread were fairly assinine, including some of mine. But didn't at least one give you cause to think? To smile? Maybe even laugh?

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2004 at 10:20am
It caused me to think on page 1, smile on page, 2, and laugh on page 3. However, by page 4, i'm ready to say: don't go away mad, just go away to the original post.

But, it has been fun to read.

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2004 at 12:08pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Live Long and Prosper

The sky is blue.

Mirangus, thanks for sharing your opinion.

My intent was not to offend anyone nor was it to "call" anyone a bigot. If I wanted to label someone as a bigot, I would do it. There are little to no repercussions in cyberspace.

My intent was to ask a question-that's it. This got way bigger than it needed to. Why is that? It seems to me that certain people took offense to my question because deep down they KNOW that it applied to them. Think about it--Ridiculous assertions receive little to no reactions.

For example, if someone called you a "pink elephant" you might look at him or her quizzically (if you even bothered to acknowledge what they said), but you would probably not get insulted, go to DEFCON 5, and launch a vehement protest because you know full well that you are NOT a pink elephant. This is just the opposite of what happened here!

BTW-I do not "spend a lot of time trying to get the last word." Check the numbers, my friend: I am an "average" member. I don?t post any more than anyone else. And I will continue to respond when I feel compelled to-even if the bandwagon calls me "ignorant" or a "troll."

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2004 at 12:09pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Cakes
[br]For the love of god, where is the moderator! 90% of these posts should be deleted.

Oh, but Johnny Cakes, we're having soooooooo much fun!!! [8D] Part of having a good personal psyche is the ability to laugh at one's self. [:o)] From some of these posts, it would appear I'm not the only one laughing.

While I'm sure the original intention of these forums was for the exchange of information, they also seem to serve as a sounding board, a way to vent, and a way to poke a little fun at the system. Better to blow off the steam here than on the road.

And, yes, I agree that a goodly number of the posts in this thread were fairly assinine, including some of mine. But didn't at least one give you cause to think? To smile? Maybe even laugh?

I have to agree...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2004 at 12:11pm
quote:
[br]
quote:

quote:

Dayum-It was a joke...Again-if what I have said here is so ridiculous and "off the wall" + asinine-why keep reading & why keep responding?

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2004 at 12:42pm
I now know where to come and read when I start taking psychology classes! [8D]

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net