Print Page | Close Window

Hybrid CX Plates?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: Archived Slugging Topics
Forum Name: Hybrids
Forum Description: This area is devoted to the discussion of hybrid vehicles and their impact to the HOV.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1015
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hybrid CX Plates?
Posted By: JustWannaGetHome
Subject: Hybrid CX Plates?
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:47pm
I saw two hybrid cars with CX license plates tonight on the way home...what is that, clean exhaust??? Have they already issued 9,999 CF plates and now they're moving to CX?

Replies:
Posted By: Subaru
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 7:59am
Im gonna take a guess and say that all the CF plates have been used in VA.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 9:43am
quote:
Originally posted by JustWannaGetHome
[br]I saw two hybrid cars with CX license plates tonight on the way home...what is that, clean exhaust??? Have they already issued 9,999 CF plates and now they're moving to CX?

I'm with you!! I just saw that myself yesterday morning and started scratching my head. I have a hard time believing that they've already sold over 10,000 of those hybrids in VA. And I'll have an even harder time accepting it if it's true. Because we all know where those "over 10,000" hybrid drivers live...Northern VA!!! I never had an opinion about hybrids in the HOV issues, but now I sit and wonder if maybe there is something to all that?? Hmmmmmmmm...

Posted By: ScarletLSG
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 10:00am
There are more than 10,000 ... many of us have personalized plates. There's a brief slow down right now, due to the waiting lists, but come October when Toyota and Honda are joined by Ford, Lexus and I think Saturn ... the increase will speed up again. Even in April 2003, when we bought ours, we had to go to VA Beach to get one without waiting for months. I'm guessing quite a few people do this, go to Richmond, VA Beach, etc.

ScarletLSG

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 11:39am
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
I'm with you!! I just saw that myself yesterday morning and started scratching my head. I have a hard time believing that they've already sold over 10,000 of those hybrids in VA. And I'll have an even harder time accepting it if it's true. Because we all know where those "over 10,000" hybrid drivers live...Northern VA!!! I never had an opinion about hybrids in the HOV issues, but now I sit and wonder if maybe there is something to all that?? Hmmmmmmmm...

I'm only gonna say this for the 1000th time....not all CF plates are issued for hybrid vehicles.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:21pm
quote:

I'm only gonna say this for the 1000th time....not all CF plates are issued for hybrid vehicles.

I have seen Caprices, older trucks, lots of cars that arent your normal "Hybrid" Which makes me wonder how they got the plates when the DMV site says you have to have a special type of engine. I cant imagine all of these have those special type of engines.

Posted By: ronin718
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:37pm
Double check your DMV site. Here's the quote:
quote:

You may choose to apply for clean special fuel license plates for a vehicle that utilizes only a clean special fuel. The vehicle must be exclusively powered by clean special fuel. The following types of fuels MAY qualify a vehicle for clean special fuel plates:

Compressed Natural Gas
Electricity
Ethane
Hydrogen
Hythane
Liquefied Natural Gas
Liquefied Petroleum Gas
Methane
Solar
Combination of two types of clean special fuels

So, as you can see, hybrids aren't the only ones eligible. A CNG vehicle qualifies, and a lot of those are running around.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:16pm
And to run these fuels, you need special engines.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by Subaru
[br]And to run these fuels, you need special engines.

Almost any vehicle can be retrofitted to run on CNG, at the very least. It costs maybe $3,000 to $5,000, from what I've heard. I have a colleague who has a minivan that was retrofitted for CNG, and that's certainly not one you'd normally expect to see with a CF plate. But it's perfectly legitimate. From what I gather, Southern California is a bit of a hot market for retrofitting for the same reason you could expect around here--FEDERAL law allows CNG vehicles into HOV lanes.

It's not really a special engine so much as it's a special fuel system. I know there are some alterations to the engine, but it's nothing as drastic as, say, taking out the ordinary engine and putting in a Formula One racing car's engine. So when you think about it--$5,000 to modify an older car to run on CNG, with the guarantee that it will be allowed in the HOV lanes, versus $20,000 for a new hybrid that may not be allowed in the HOV lanes in a few years? Easy to see why people opt for the alternative-fuel vehicles.

(I don't have either a hybrid or an alternative-fuel vehicle. I just find it amusing how some people on this board are so quick to bash any CF-tagged vehicle as either a hybrid or as belonging to someone who got the tag illegally.)

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 3:02pm
So I could get a Hummer, modify the engine, get the tags and drive solo? Cool...

Of course I wouldn't, because if I were to get a Hummer, I'd make sure I carried at least 2 other people - a top gunner, and maybe a ball turret gunner so I could take out the HOV violators, left lane drivers, cell phone talkers, etc... :)

Happy weekend all.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 4:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]So I could get a Hummer, modify the engine, get the tags and drive solo? Cool...

Yup! Or how about a CNG Ferrari? I bet getting Ferrari of Washington to repair that would be difficult, though.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 4:56pm
BTW, there is also such a thing as a "bi-fuel" vehicle. Someone who gets a vehicle retrofitted for CNG can also have it fitted to run on either the CNG or regular gasoline. (This further shows that it's not a special engine.) Mazda recently demoed an RX-8 that runs on either gas or hydrogen using the same 2-rotor W a n k e l that's in the normal car. (The name of the engine is spaced out because the board software censored the first four letters.)

The rub, and the reason why people do not bi-fuel very much around here, is that bi-fuel vehicles are not eligible for the CF tag and the HOV exemption. (Think about why--if you got a bi-fuel and the CF tag, why would you go to the trouble of going out of your way to fill up with CNG when you could just go to your corner Exxon and fill up there?)

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 9:21am
the last two characters on the plate make no difference, it's the symbol on the left and the writing that says "clean special fuel" that grants the exception. Funny that gasoline powered hybrids don't qualify for "clean special fuel" plates according to the rules quoted above.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 11:40am
I believe that DMV erred with some of their policies on the clean fuel plates. First, the clean fuel plate should have been a very distintive color or something that can be identified from a long ways away for enforcement. Second, they may not have thought things through in that the CF designation would be tapped out and they would have to have a new designation. Third, clean fuel vehicles should not be allowed to have vanity tags. Why? Because there is a reason to have the CF designation stay on the plate.. For enforcement.
Bob

Posted By: Johnny Cakes
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 4:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]2-rotor W a n k e l that's in the normal car. (The name of the engine is spaced out because the board software censored the first four letters.)

LOL!! Felix would be so proud.

Posted By: Kolohe
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2004 at 11:51am
OK ... I think that the whole clean fuel issue is wonderful for our environment. That being said, I think that the HOV-3 is also a wonderful thing for my environment.

NOW ... to my actual point. The HOV-3 lanes were instituted to assist in HIGH TRAFFIC maintenance in the Metro DC area. By allowing the CF vehicles in the HOV-3 lanes with only one person, you've totally defeated the purpose of having HOV-3 in the first place.

HOV = High Occupancy Vehicles ... NOT Clean Fuel! Let's try to keep our traffic situations under control and require those persons with CF vehicles to adhere to the HOV regulations as well!

Notice how the traffic in the HOV-3 lanes has DRAMATICALLY INCREASED since more single drivers in CF vehicles are able to use it. Hmmm ... makes you think that if you have the $$ to purchase the vehicles, you should have the right to drive wherever you want ... and VA supports it.

My $.02, that's all :)

Posted By: fugitiveALiEN
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2004 at 2:47pm
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.[^] The roads have gotten consistently worse over the past few years not due to 10,000+ new hybrids that were sold. In fact not ALL hybrids were bought to use the HOV. I personally use whatever road that i can. With my current position, i don't use my hybrid for travel on HOV (rt66/tollroad) hardly. I'm using the decidely more congested alternate routes, since back in the olden pre-dot-com days, and during even. I use rt50, 236, rt29, etc. It's not more hybrids on the road it's more people on the road. Jobs have picked back up. Statistics consistently show that over all other factors to congestion, more roads, more people, etc, the fact is that when the economy is up, traffic rises with it. Overall there are more private sector jobs, govt jobs, people are back to work, unemploymentit comes with the terrirtory. Being in the area we're in it's mostly connected to the government, that's why we're in the area, and it's just something we're dealing with seeing as how most lines of business are very "close" to the capitol, physically as well as contractually. I personally have yet to find work with a contractor or other business that DOESN'T have relations or doesn't market to government agencies.

[:o)]

quote:
Originally posted by Kolohe
[br]OK ... I think that the whole clean fuel issue is wonderful for our environment. That being said, I think that the HOV-3 is also a wonderful thing for my environment.

NOW ... to my actual point. The HOV-3 lanes were instituted to assist in HIGH TRAFFIC maintenance in the Metro DC area. By allowing the CF vehicles in the HOV-3 lanes with only one person, you've totally defeated the purpose of having HOV-3 in the first place.

HOV = High Occupancy Vehicles ... NOT Clean Fuel! Let's try to keep our traffic situations under control and require those persons with CF vehicles to adhere to the HOV regulations as well!

Notice how the traffic in the HOV-3 lanes has DRAMATICALLY INCREASED since more single drivers in CF vehicles are able to use it. Hmmm ... makes you think that if you have the $$ to purchase the vehicles, you should have the right to drive wherever you want ... and VA supports it.

My $.02, that's all :)

Posted By: Geezehead
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 8:23am
Hybrid owners that choose to drive themselves in the HOV lanes are nothing more than HOV violators with a little extra money to burn. With that said, there are exceptions (those who have wild commutes like from the south over to Tysons, etc) but to those who continue up 395 into our city, shame on you. Pick up some folks, help out society, be a citizen. I realize the law allows your behavior, but you all know the system and it works great, don't be so self absorbed. And, if not the only cause of the heavy traffic over the past year, hybrids are a major contributor. Everyone knows that while creeping along with our passengers we count 3, 4, and 5 hybirds sitting within a few car lengths of each other. I'm all for the environment, and hybrids in general, but put some bodies in there people. OK?

Posted By: Stuck2
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 8:59am
I think you are taking this too personal, Geezehead. You can't judge hybrid owners. This isn't a societal debate -- the hybrid owners participating citizen in this society! I think non-hybrid owners should get off their soap boxes and write your congress men/women about ALL the issues plaguing the HOV: 1. off duty policemen, 2. violator, 3. hybrids, 4. the opening of HOV at Edsall road, 5. extension of time in the evening hours.

Posted By: fugitiveALiEN
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 11:21am
Thanks both of you, stuck2, and geeze ;)
Overall it's just unfair to blame hybrids, or lump "everyone" together. My own reasons as well as others i know had not just 1 reason but rather a multifaceted reason to go with the hybrid.
You're darn tootin' [:D] it's a great way to asist your otherwise normal commute, but to say i'm a violator in disguise, or one with loads of cash... I would NEVER break the hov rule, never had, i used to be scared to get off 110 and be on 66 for a split second to get onto 29 on my way home.

There's a fundamental issue and reason for the each side's bitterness or "justification." and also a current one: Historically the debate of wether or not HOV was created initially for environmental issues, or congestion issues, and currently, traffic in this region just plain sucks! [V] hence the emotion behind it. Ever notice how upset and vocal everyone gets when posting RIGHT after either their bad day, bad commute, or bad slug experience [:D]

My wife and I recently had our first child and my 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour (sometimes more) commute to something 20 miles away, and just 25mins without traffic, was severely impacting how i was able to help out my family and affecting me. Carpooling, which i was doing, or anything else i could do to shorten the commute is what i did, i was determined to do that, it was sanctioned, i researched, and yes, cutting my commute was my determining factor in a sea of other factors of why i was even thinking about getting one.

I do not think congestion was the original reason to start HOV but rather the environment due to the energy crisis, now it comes to include all of the above, reduce vehicles on the road, environment, and all. I don't think HOT lanes are a good idea, but charging tolls would be ;) Have you seen the HOV lanes on the toll-road lately? They are great! =) I don't think anyone wants to pay $1.50 a day to go home and back, but they'd waste more than that sitting on any of the other roads [:p]. I have been on HOV and seen other more multiple rider hybrids and carpools with MORE than the required 2 or 3, and unfortunately lots of plain old violators. I know that my wife is almost scared to ride with our infant, now toddler on HOV since you can't see his car-seat from the road. It's just a mess in it's current state. Hence all the frustration and heated debate.

quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]I think you are taking this too personal, Geezehead. You can't judge hybrid owners. This isn't a societal debate -- the hybrid owners participating citizen in this society! I think non-hybrid owners should get off their soap boxes and write your congress men/women about ALL the issues plaguing the HOV: 1. off duty policemen, 2. violator, 3. hybrids, 4. the opening of HOV at Edsall road, 5. extension of time in the evening hours.

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 11:57am
Violators? Last time I checked they were well within the established law to ride on the HOV lanes with one person in the car.

quote:
Originally posted by Geezehead
[br]Hybrid owners that choose to drive themselves in the HOV lanes are nothing more than HOV violators with a little extra money to burn. With that said, there are exceptions (those who have wild commutes like from the south over to Tysons, etc) but to those who continue up 395 into our city, shame on you. Pick up some folks, help out society, be a citizen. I realize the law allows your behavior, but you all know the system and it works great, don't be so self absorbed. And, if not the only cause of the heavy traffic over the past year, hybrids are a major contributor. Everyone knows that while creeping along with our passengers we count 3, 4, and 5 hybirds sitting within a few car lengths of each other. I'm all for the environment, and hybrids in general, but put some bodies in there people. OK?

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2004 at 10:17pm
Whooooooo -- HOV Violators with a little extra money to burn???? Now THAT is a heck of a comment.

I guess I'm glad that I'm one of those that has to drive from the South over to Tysons ... I'm able to escape the wrath of Geezehead.

Some facts ... we aren't HOV violators, we are following the law to the letter. Hybrids are NOT that expensive ... way less than a huge gas guzzling, 7 passenger (only carrying 2 in the HOV) SUV. Since trading in my 2002 Mazda 626, I'm actually SAVING by driving a 2003 Hybrid. The monthly payment itself was higher by a smidge, but the monthly gas cost is SIGNIFICANTLY lower, especially with today's gas prices.

I keep a very close eye on the congested HOV lanes. Violators ... the real ones ... are the biggest issue. Today, I counted NO LESS than FIFTY between Lorton and the HOV exit in Dumfries. FIFTY violators, without CF plates, including trucks/sports cars/vans/ETC. Fifty violators in a 15 mile span ... a drive that took me 20 minutes around 3:30 p.m. I can only imagine how much exponentially that number grows from 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

ScarletLSG

Posted By: gatewayslug
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 7:47am
Just curious, ScarletLSG, but which side of 3:30 was it when you say "around 3:30 p.m."? Since the restrictions don't start until 3:30 pm, you could have been counting cars that were legally in the HOV lanes.

Posted By: salsita
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 9:16am
I guessing her point is they should be off by 330 but they are not. They just continue on and on and on!

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 10:22am
I hit Springfield at 3:40 p.m. ... Lorton about 5 minutes later ... non-HOV3 should have exited at this exit by this time. (Should have exited before Springfield, but hey, I'll buy that everyone's clock is synchronized differently. I started counting cars at Lorton and stopped at Dumfries ... at FIFTY!!!! Also during this timeframe, I saw NO violators pulled over. Maybe the police are taking a break to gear up for the big July 1 - tougher restrictions?

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by gatewayslug
[br]Just curious, ScarletLSG, but which side of 3:30 was it when you say "around 3:30 p.m."? Since the restrictions don't start until 3:30 pm, you could have been counting cars that were legally in the HOV lanes.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net