Print Page | Close Window

Summertime and A/C

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1129
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 3:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Summertime and A/C
Posted By: BB1178
Subject: Summertime and A/C
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 3:13pm
I was looking around the site and couldn't believe no one had posted about this.

I think slugging is great and I am always a slug and really appreciative of the ride home.

That being said-How come on a day when the thermometer in a driver's car is reading 80's-90's people barely have the A/C on? This is not an isolated incident for me. When I get to the Pentagon after walking the mile to the lines in the afternoon it gets pretty darn hot. Then, because you are so desperate to get home, you jump in the first car that comes up and says whereever you are going. And nine times out of ten I get in a car that has the A/C on level one (or off) and has the temperature midway on warm (you know the little red/blue gauge on the dash)...Well, would it kill people to put it up a little so the person in the back could feel it too. And those who enjoy keeping the windows down...this is terribly uncomfortable to those who are riding with you and whose hair might be over an inch long. Last Friday when I rode home (forget the woman was driving 45-55mph the whole way!) the thermometer was reading high 90's the whole time and she didn't put on any A/C? What the?

I've never said anything to the driver because I don't think its my place to say it to them individually but I figured I'd put it on this board and see if anyone else has a solution. I know its only a half hour ride and I am very appreciative to have a free ride to the Pentagon, but come on drivers! Its hot out!

Replies:
Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 4:38pm
Hi BB. Check out http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=312. [:)]

You have to wade through 8 pages, but it's been mentioned before (myself included). I am with you 100%.

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 4:39pm
Believe me, we have discussed this topic many times. One of the threads I remembered was called: Baked on HOV or something similar.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2004 at 4:42pm
Solutions? Speak out. The driver will never know how you feel unless you tell them.

Posted By: P8R10TZ
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 8:11am
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]Solutions? Speak out. The driver will never know how you feel unless you tell them.

Agreed...

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 8:15am
Drivers also need to take the initiative and do a quality check for their passengers. It goes past courtesy and straight to human decency. Y'all should see the gyrations I go thru just when I have my dog with me!! Rear AC blasting, moon roof open...the works. When I drive, I issue a disclaimer: Let me know if you're too hot/cold and the rear passenger is informed that they have independent climate controls. That's all you gotta do!! Not too hard, is it?[;)]

Posted By: KNLNGUS
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 8:41am
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]Drivers also need to take the initiative and do a quality check for their passengers. It goes past courtesy and straight to human decency. Y'all should see the gyrations I go thru just when I have my dog with me!! Rear AC blasting, moon roof open...the works. When I drive, I issue a disclaimer: Let me know if you're too hot/cold and the rear passenger is informed that they have independent climate controls. That's all you gotta do!! Not too hard, is it?[;)]

Couldn't agree with you more! You must speak up. Just use tact and diplomacy as opposed to a comment that twinges on sarcasm.

Posted By: CUCV_Owner
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 9:06am
The A/C could be broken, or the vehicle may not have ever had it installed. My pickup doesn't have A/C, which is why my slug-buddy drives on really hot days. :)

However, I'd expect the driver to say something about it when picking people up.

--
Politicians should serve two terms... a term in office followed by a term in jail.

Posted By: pplmvrs
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2004 at 9:21am
I know one time when I was on my home and going to pick up slugs my air conditioning wasn't working. It has been working in the morning.
When the slug got in my car I told him my situation and that I would keep the windows down for ALL of us. I made sure to tell him BEFORE we left the line at the Pentagon incase he didn't want to ride with me.

Posted By: Uhura
Date Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 7:59am
quote:
Originally posted by BB1178
[br]I was looking around the site and couldn't believe no one had posted about this.

I think slugging is great and I am always a slug and really appreciative of the ride home.

That being said-How come on a day when the thermometer in a driver's car is reading 80's-90's people barely have the A/C on? This is not an isolated incident for me. When I get to the Pentagon after walking the mile to the lines in the afternoon it gets pretty darn hot. Then, because you are so desperate to get home, you jump in the first car that comes up and says whereever you are going. And nine times out of ten I get in a car that has the A/C on level one (or off) and has the temperature midway on warm (you know the little red/blue gauge on the dash)...Well, would it kill people to put it up a little so the person in the back could feel it too. And those who enjoy keeping the windows down...this is terribly uncomfortable to those who are riding with you and whose hair might be over an inch long. Last Friday when I rode home (forget the woman was driving 45-55mph the whole way!) the thermometer was reading high 90's the whole time and she didn't put on any A/C? What the?

I've never said anything to the driver because I don't think its my place to say it to them individually but I figured I'd put it on this board and see if anyone else has a solution. I know its only a half hour ride and I am very appreciative to have a free ride to the Pentagon, but come on drivers! Its hot out!

Regarding drivers who have the AC on level one & midway bt warm & cold-pls consider this: While you may be a bit heated up from your walk, the driver -having been in the vehicle for quite some time- is probably already cool. Why would the driver turn the AC up to a high level? Within a few minutes you cool off right? There could also be other reasons. For example-I wear contact lenses and having the vents on "blast" would cause a great deal of discomfort for me.

Regarding the folks who have the windows down or have the AC off completely (barring malfunctioning AC)-I agree that these practices are terribly inconsiderate of the folks riding with you-esp in the back of the vehicle. As a rider, I would politely speak up.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 05 Aug 2004 at 9:08am
It would take more than a few minutes for us, the slugs that are heated up for the walk and not only a bit, before we cool off because the sun is on our side.
I take that into consideration the days I drive.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2004 at 9:55am
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]It would take more than a few minutes for us, the slugs that are heated up for the walk and not only a bit, before we cool off because the sun is on our side.
I take that into consideration the days I drive.

Slugging is a symbiotic relationship; however, it is the the driver's vehicle. Why should the driver be cold?

When I come into my office on a hot day, no one turns up the AC so I can cool off-nor do I expect them to. The temp remains constant-and eventually, I do cool off...

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: ronin718
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2004 at 12:54pm
I'm sorry, but there's cool, and then there's cold. The only way the driver could be cold while the rest of the occupants are sitting in their own sweat is if, like was previously described, the driver has all the windows open and all the vents pointed at the driver. If the windows are up, and the A/C is on, then the car will be cool, and everybody happy (for the most part). If the driver is COLD, then the thermostat can be adjusted upwards at the driver's discretion. Even then, the other occupants are still likely to be cool enough to be semi-comfortable.

The point of this thread comes down to this --- do drivers have a "responsibility" to run their A/C during the summer to allow for the comfort of slugs? Symbiotic means a benefit to both parties. If the drivers aren't willing to provide for the relative comfort of the slugs during their trip, then the slugs won't ride with that driver, and the driver is stuck in the mainline. The slugs can find other rides. At some point, the driver may not find other slugs.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2004 at 12:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]I'm sorry, but there's cool, and then there's cold. The only way the driver could be cold while the rest of the occupants are sitting in their own sweat is if, like was previously described, the driver has all the windows open and all the vents pointed at the driver. If the windows are up, and the A/C is on, then the car will be cool, and everybody happy (for the most part). If the driver is COLD, then the thermostat can be adjusted upwards at the driver's discretion. Even then, the other occupants are still likely to be cool enough to be semi-comfortable.

The point of this thread comes down to this --- do drivers have a "responsibility" to run their A/C during the summer to allow for the comfort of slugs? Symbiotic means a benefit to both parties. If the drivers aren't willing to provide for the relative comfort of the slugs during their trip, then the slugs won't ride with that driver, and the driver is stuck in the mainline. The slugs can find other rides. At some point, the driver may not find other slugs.

Totally second that!

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2004 at 10:41am
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]I'm sorry, but there's cool, and then there's cold. The only way the driver could be cold while the rest of the occupants are sitting in their own sweat is if, like was previously described, the driver has all the windows open and all the vents pointed at the driver. If the windows are up, and the A/C is on, then the car will be cool, and everybody happy (for the most part). If the driver is COLD, then the thermostat can be adjusted upwards at the driver's discretion. Even then, the other occupants are still likely to be cool enough to be semi-comfortable.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing, and I have to disagree with part of what you said. In a situation like the other poster described-where the slug walked a long way in the heat-a 70 degree car could seem as if it's too hot at first. I've been there.

The example I gave still stands: After returning to my office from my midday walk, I may be hot-even a little sweaty; however, I do not expect the temp in the building to go down to 60 so I can cool off.

I will agree that driver have a responsibility to provide a safe comfortable environment for slugs. The problem is that everyone doesn't define "safe and comfortable" the same way.

Lastly, whether my AC is on in the summertime or my heat is on in the wintertime; The temp in my vehicle will remain @ 70-75 degrees.

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: jc9
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2004 at 1:37pm
As a driver, I try to turn up the AC for the first few minutes of the drive when I get passengers - but I do tend to get cold sooner than others, so I have to turn it down eventually. I try to keep it on a "fair" temp after that - although I do admit to being a "1/2 way b/w hot and cold, 1st or 2nd setting." Honestly, after that first stretch, I control the temp to where I'M comfy, but I hope someone would tell me if they're desperately uncomfortable...I'm more then willing to adjust!

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2004 at 3:21pm
No one is going to "cool" down in a matter of seconds if you're just coming in from 85-90-95 degree temps. Personally I've found that just sitting there chillin' (pun intended), you will cool down just as quick as having the fans at full blast.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2004 at 12:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]No one is going to "cool" down in a matter of seconds if you're just coming in from 85-90-95 degree temps. Personally I've found that just sitting there chillin' (pun intended), you will cool down just as quick as having the fans at full blast.

Agreed. Most people will cool off in a few minutes whether the AC is on low or high. This may be more of a psychological thing than a physical one-who knows?

The human body is a wonderful piece of machinery isn't it?

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: MontclairRider
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 2:48pm
I know that the standard is for the driver to control the windows. What about in a situation of manual windows? I rode home in the back seat a few days ago where the front passenger window was rolled down about 2 inches. The driver and passenger enjoyed the A/C while I enjoyed the hot blast from the window, with the occasional A/C relief when we slowed for traffic.

I realize that I should have spoken up, and that by being quiet I was resigned to my fate. The white noise from the window did provide some slight bonus in helping drown out the "Urban Revival" radio station though...

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 7:22am
I don't see the point in blasting the AC if the car is already cool inside.

Back in May, or whenever our first 90° days were, my A/C was broken. Three of the four days I warned the passengers and they didn't seem to mind a bit. But the other day, the two ladies didn't seem too happy when we arrived at our destination. Definitely let them know if it's not working or if you don't have A/C.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 7:58am
quote:
Originally posted by MontclairRider
[br]I know that the standard is for the driver to control the windows. What about in a situation of manual windows? I rode home in the back seat a few days ago where the front passenger window was rolled down about 2 inches. The driver and passenger enjoyed the A/C while I enjoyed the hot blast from the window, with the occasional A/C relief when we slowed for traffic.

I realize that I should have spoken up, and that by being quiet I was resigned to my fate. The white noise from the window did provide some slight bonus in helping drown out the "Urban Revival" radio station though...

The driver may not have been aware that the window was rolled down. Speak up-politely of course...

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: Slug15
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2004 at 5:05pm
I'm sorry, but most buildings (at least the one I work in) the temperature is around 68 degrees, at a constant flow (so I do tend to cool off within minutes). However, when you are walking (briskly I might add) on the hot, concrete pavement where your feet are burning and it's 85 - 90 degrees outside plus with the hot sun on you, once you get in a car, if you are a passenger in a car that hot sun is still baking on you, it takes more than a "few" minutes to finally cool down, and if the A/C is not on and the windows are rolled up tight, you will never cool off. This happened to me about three weeks ago slugging in the evening. By the time I got home that evening, I was very sick to the stomache the rest of the night. I should have said something to the driver, but I was also thinking I'm just a slug, I have no rights, right?

Posted By: glacier
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2004 at 8:37am
Wrong thinking. Sorry for your bad trip.

Posted By: cedarcitynative
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2004 at 12:30pm
I'm pretty close to leaving quality surveys on the back seats of cars. Last night I rode home in a late model Dodge Neon with both windows down and no AC and the radio was blaring. The driver did not have the courtesy to state his AC was not working when I got in the car. I tried to put in ear plugs to drown out the music, but even that didn't work. This morning, the driver (different car) had NPR cranked up so loud I finally asked if he'd turn it down. However, his AC was off and the system was on recirculate. No fresh air between 234 and Pentagon. I thought I was going to pass out. Unfortunately, he'll probably never get this message. If he were a contributor/reader of this site he would, I am sure, be a more conscientious driver.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2004 at 12:55pm
Sluggers,

I know this is a bold move, however, I am tired of arriving at my destination in a sour mood due to a bad experience. Here's my survey and I encourage its adoption and use systemwide (feel free to edit for your own purposes). If any object, I look forward to reading their dissenting views as expressed in this forum.

Somewhere Along the HOV Lanes

Dear Fellow Slug,

In order to help improve the symbiotic relationship between slug-riders and slug-drivers and make the experience better for all of us, I have rated several parameters, pertaining to your service, which hopefully will ensure the longevity, safety and comfort of everyone who participates in slugging.

Vehicle Maintenance: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Comments:______________________________________________________________

Overall Safety of Ride: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Cleanliness of Vehicle: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Season-Appropriate Setting of AC or Heater Controls: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Volume on Stereo: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Overall Level of Satisfaction: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Sincerely,

Fellow Slug

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2004 at 2:29pm
I can't tell if this is sincere or sarcastic, but as a driver I would be offended and annoyed if I found this survey in my car after dropping people off - whether it is a BAD or a GOOD evaluation. If there is a bad experience, try to make a mental note of the car/slug and use your own discretion the next time you are choosing a ride/rider home. Slugging will only work with each person being curteous and respsectful - understanding that sometimes not everyone will be. I like to think I am pretty good to ride with - I make sure my passengers are comfortable temp-wise, sound-wise, and safety-wise - it's offensive to be judged when I'm already doing my part. I realize the survey probably isn't meant for curteous drivers, but I think it's totally inappropriate.

If it was meant as a joke, I apologize for such a serious response.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2004 at 2:40pm
Well, there's no questioning how you feel about the survey idea. While it may be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I believe there is merit to letting those who are likely chronic bad drivers know what the slugging community is thinking. So, if I'm to follow your logic I should never fill out the survey cards at hotels and restaurants for fear that I might offend someone? It seems those survey cards only serve to improve the services offered to you, the customer (the slug in this case) Look, I am not trying to be ungrateful for the "free" rides home. However, when the rider lines are long, it is hard to make a snap judgment on certain cars, drivers and riders. Bad rides home do come at a cost to the rider and the entire system. If the conditions are acceptable in your vehicle, then you've got nothing to worry about. While this may push the envelope a little bit, it sends a clear message to drivers of dirty, unsafe, loud unairconditioned/un-whatever cars, that they cannot take their riders for granted. Chances are those who are the worst offenders will never set their browsers to this site and will remain clueless without some form of feedback how they are negatively impacting the system.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2004 at 8:01am
I think that assuming you should not fill out surveys at hotels and restaurants is pushing it a little - that is a bit extreme to what I was saying. I guess you could look at it like this: hotels and restaurants provide the survey and are asking for your input. If a commuter has a survey in the back seat and asks you to fill it out, by all means, provide your opinion - but I wouldn't appreciate someone leaving a survey behind if it wasn't requested.

I just think the slug AND the driver are customers - filling out unsolicited surveys by either party would probably create more aggrevation and may even make the situation worse instead of better. I don't mean to criticize your idea - I understand your aggrevation and believe it is warrented. I just wanted you to have the perception to what a driver (even a curteous one) might think.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2004 at 9:40am
Cedar, one other point to take into consideration when dealing with a hotel or restaurant, is that you are a "paying" customer. Paying with money that is. I'm sure someone is thinking that the slug is paying with time, effort, etc, but I personally fell there's a huge difference between a survey for slugging and a profitable business. I'm inclined to agree with JC9 on this one.[:I]

Posted By: SJS
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2004 at 10:12am
Have you seen the Route 17 slug line from the Pentagon in the afternoons? Your survey is exactly what we need if we want to offend the drivers so none of us will get home. If the rides are unacceptable to you, maybe you should consider another method of commuting. As slugs, we are NOT customers of the drivers. This system work because it is mutually beneficial to both drivers and slugs. There is an expression that certainly applies here...If its not broken, don't fix it!!![:(]

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 4:00pm
For the record, I have not left a single survey behind yet. However, I believe that slugs should take courage and speak up when ride conditions are not comfortable or safe. The survey idea was concocted after two very hot, stuffy and miserable rides. Sometimes leaving a little note behind to remind the driver of such is a beneficial thing. I once rode home in a car where an oversized child car seat was strapped in the middle of the back seat. Not even the tiniest of riders could have comfortably rode on either side of the seat (I think my spine is still out from that one[:)]. What did I do? I left a note for the driver encouraging her to move the seat to the left or the right if she was going to continue to pick up slugs. Come on folks, stand up and speak out!

While we may not be paying customers, we are still riders and guests of the driver (despite its being mutually beneficial). common courtesies and common sense still applies all the way around.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 6:14pm
Since I have this nasty habit of being the first to freeze in any temperature below 75, I turn the AC up but ppoint the air away from me. That way, I can live with the temp., not have freezing air blowing on me and the slugs can have all the cold air they want.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2004 at 2:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by cedarcitynative
[br]For the record, I have not left a single survey behind yet. However, I believe that slugs should take courage and speak up when ride conditions are not comfortable or safe. The survey idea was concocted after two very hot, stuffy and miserable rides. Sometimes leaving a little note behind to remind the driver of such is a beneficial thing. I once rode home in a car where an oversized child car seat was strapped in the middle of the back seat. Not even the tiniest of riders could have comfortably rode on either side of the seat (I think my spine is still out from that one[:)]. What did I do? I left a note for the driver encouraging her to move the seat to the left or the right if she was going to continue to pick up slugs. Come on folks, stand up and speak out!

While we may not be paying customers, we are still riders and guests of the driver (despite its being mutually beneficial). common courtesies and common sense still applies all the way around.

I agree 100% with the last part of your statement. Which is why I always look into the vehicle before I enter, so then I have the option to pass should I choose to. Hey, believe you me, I'm all about comfort...for me and my riders.

Posted By: uhura.
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2005 at 9:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by BB1178
[br]I was looking around the site and couldn't believe no one had posted about this.

Posted By: Undisclosed
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2005 at 9:12pm
FOLKS: PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD.

This thread is over a year old and has been reserected by Uhura, the banned one who created a new identity to return (note the period after her name).

It is her standard trick to bring back old threads.

PLEASE IGNORE THIS THREAD: LET THIS BE THE LAST MESSAGE.

Thank you.

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2005 at 1:16pm
mmmm we have on that posts out of date threads and one thats a hall monitor........

Posted By: koakui
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2005 at 10:28am
You know speaking of AC - I have never complained. In fact I sit back quietly and read or just sit so as not to disturb the driver. However, even I have to admit that lately, the rides have been miserable. We are both doing each other a service so let's try to be comfortable. I can't help but wondering if the driver and everyone else is roasting or its just me. Last night I rode home with a driver who was quite nice. He even offered to take 3 in his Jeep. It was hot when we started out but I figured he'd put on the A/C and things would be okay. Well I was wrong. By the time we got down to Dale City I had a terrible headache and wasn't sure if I was gonna pass out or puke. It was miserable. I kept looking at the driver and other riders, none of who seemed bothered. I didn't want to be rude so I didn't speak up. Now I'm trying to make a mental note out of the cars that are not comfortable so I can pass those rides up. I don't feel quite comfortable asking the driver to make changes but I've come close. Its just uncomfortable. So after all that rambling - please drivers - please remember us slugs - that we like a little air too and not all of us are comfortable in a heat box. Thank you.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2005 at 10:54am
... especially the slugs going through menopause! [:p]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

Posted By: koakui
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2005 at 11:27am
I'm too young for menopause and I'm not fat either. Nice try though!

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2005 at 1:06pm
I hate to keep this post going since it's from last year but......

People---- ASK IF THE AIR WILL BE ON!!!!!! Geez, is that too hard to do? If you don't ask BEFORE you get in then you can't complain later.

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2005 at 3:14pm
That's a valid point ohio7 but some people aren't outgoing enough to ask that to the driver.
Afterwards, they're the owner of the cars. I always have my battery powered fan ready for this occasions.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net