Print Page | Close Window

Slug Line Nazis

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1150
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 3:57am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Slug Line Nazis
Posted By: no_more_metro
Subject: Slug Line Nazis
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2004 at 4:00pm
Could someone please tell me why some people feel as though it is their duty to "run" the slugline--i.e., telling others to hurry up and get to the car, yelling out to the driver to take a third (when this person isn't even up for a ride yet), motioning for cars who need to wait for another rider to move forward, etc... I mean COME ON. People know how to use this line. These slug line nazis are just annoying. There is one woman in particular at Horner Rd. in the 14th street line. I would give her description, but know that it would incite a riot since I would describe her race as well as haircut, etc.

Replies:
Posted By: slugguru
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2004 at 4:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]It's these "slug nazis" who keep the cars and people moving so we should all be grateful. I think you'll change your tune when you read the other threads about how people expect cars to drive up to them or people not willing to speak up about taking another person, etc.

I agree .......

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2004 at 8:44pm
Agree with RoadRunner. I've seen lines that do well without a "Conductor" and others that don't.

Also, I wouldn't assume that everyone knows how to use the line, there are new people slugging all the time...

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 9:02am
quote:

It's these "slug nazis" who keep the cars and people moving so we should all be grateful. I think you'll change your tune when you read the other threads about how people expect cars to drive up to them or people not willing to speak up about taking another person, etc.

I think it helps keep the line moving if the slugs at the front give some direction, but I am opposed to the practice of trying to get an "extra" slug in every car (except in the "crunch" times, e.g. long line, getting late, bad weather, etc.)

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 10:38am
I understand where no_more_metro is coming from. I've seen the "nazis" referred to in other lines. They snarl, glare, yell, shake their heads, make rude comments, and gesticulate wildly. They're no fun to be around, and I have no problem handing it back to the person who uses those tactics with me at 6 am before I've had a cuppa. How hard is it to ask the driver kindly to move up, or to turn to the person behind or ahead of you and suggest walking down to the car? There's only so much room at the curb. Filling up a few cars at a time and letting them go is good, but if everyone walks down 5, 10, 15 cars, no one can see, and the result is chaos.

Posted By: Uhura
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 11:48am
quote:
Originally posted by no_more_metro
[br]Could someone please tell me why some people feel as though it is their duty to "run" the slugline--i.e., telling others to hurry up and get to the car, yelling out to the driver to take a third (when this person isn't even up for a ride yet), motioning for cars who need to wait for another rider to move forward, etc... I mean COME ON. People know how to use this line. These slug line nazis are just annoying. There is one woman in particular at Horner Rd. in the 14th street line. I would give her description, but know that it would incite a riot since I would describe her race as well as haircut, etc.

I am grateful for those "take charge" type of folks-they keep the line moving; however, being rude isn't cool...

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 12:25pm
Where do you encounter these crude, rude, inconsiderate slugs and drivers? My expeience in slugging as both a driver and slug since 1985 to and from the Springfield-Burke area (RVMall, Sydenstricker Lot, and their predecessors at the bus stops on Huntsman Blvd, Old Keene Mill Rd & Sydensticker Rd) has been nothing but pleasant. I've met a lot of nice people who have always been considerate and polite. Wonder if it's because lines are usually short and the number of cars and slugs has been fairly equal and spread out during the entire rush hour. Wherever the problems you've encoutered are happening, I surely hope civility and good manners will take hold. Good luck. [:I]

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 1:05pm

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 1:06pm
I would rather deal with the Nazi's than the zono's who stand in la la land as 10 cars all going to the same place are awaiting someone new to come to the line. Meanwhile there are ten more cars waiting to get within speaking distance of the slugs, but noone in line will move up, the same goes for the cars. WAKE UP PEOPLE. SOME OF US DO WANT TO GET TO WORK ON TIME... MOVING YOUR FEET A FEW INCHES WONT HURT!! NEITHER WILL SPEAKING UP!!

:'}

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 1:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]Where do you encounter these crude, rude, inconsiderate slugs and drivers?

My experience overall has been pleasant. The "nazi" behavior I referred to in an earlier post occurred at Horner in the Pentagon line. Fortunately, I haven't seen that person for awhile.

Posted By: pplmvrs
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 1:38pm
yesterday afternoon at the Pentagon, I was picking up for Tackett's Mill. There was ONE car in front of me that already had slugs, but couldn't quite pull out yet..there were about 10 people in line, just staring at me. NOBODY would walk down to my car. It would have been nice to have a person taking charge.

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 1:55pm
Sorry, I agree with no_more on this one. I don't mind someone who will *politely* ask people to move the line or ask cars to move up. But I get really agitated when certain people get all bent out of shape first thing in the morning. I think I know EXACTLY who no_more is talking about from the Horner line and I absolutely dread being anywhere near her in line. She is the loudest, rudest, crudest person I think I have ever come across.

I've only slugged from Hechinger's and Horner, and I can say that it's been my personal experience that Hechinger's is much more pleasant. Horner is fine about 70% of the time...but the other 30% is not so pleasant. Again, I stress that that's been MY experience.

Posted By: dixeedog
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 3:22pm
I take offense to the use of the term "Line Nazis." This loose alliteration devalues one of the single most horrific events in human history. Is common rude behavior in a commuter line equal to the systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of approximately six million Jews by the Nazi regime and its collaborators?

Posted By: slugbug
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 3:36pm
I agree completely. Let's watch some of our labels.[;)]

quote:
Originally posted by dixeedog
[br]I take offense to the use of the term "Line Nazis." This loose alliteration devalues one of the single most horrific events in human history. Is common rude behavior in a commuter line equal to the systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of approximately six million Jews by the Nazi regime and its collaborators?

Posted By: SJS
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 3:43pm
Maybe a better term would be "Drill Sergeant".

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 3:50pm
You go "Dog". Maybe a better term would be "Line Protocol Enforcers"? Eh, that is kind of a mouthful...

Posted By: ronin718
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 5:00pm
How about Slug Gestapo? Or is that to close to the Nazi label?

Posted By: RW
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 6:11pm
Lighten up dixiedog...

quote:
[br]I take offense to the use of the term "Line Nazis." This loose alliteration devalues one of the single most horrific events in human history. Is common rude behavior in a commuter line equal to the systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of approximately six million Jews by the Nazi regime and its collaborators?

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 8:27am
quote:

I take offense to the use of the term "Line Nazis." This loose alliteration devalues one of the single most horrific events in human history. Is common rude behavior in a commuter line equal to the systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of approximately six million Jews by the Nazi regime and its collaborators?

I take offense at your use of the term "bureaucratic". While popular usage may carry some pejorative associations, those associations are not necessarily relevant, or even valid, when applied to description of an event. The term may be accurate in describing the hierarchical organization of the state that carried out the horrific events described, but has little meaning when associated with the events themselves.

Your misuse of the term, coupled with the focus you have placed on its pejorative connotations, does a disservice to all the readers of this forum who could fairly be labeled as bureaucrats. I, for example, have recently moved from a long career in operations and system development to a policy position befitting my extensive experience and broad vision in meeting the goals of my government agency (or "bureau", if you prefer), so I think I can fairly be labeled a bureaucrat. I am proud of my position and the hard work that brought me to this point. Am I now to be associated with atrocities in which I played no role simply so you can make a point about someone else's casual use of a term to which you clearly attach a deeper meaning? Your association of bureaucracy and genocide was unfair, unnecessary, and unmindful of the possibility that you might be hoist on your own petard.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 8:47am
quote:

Let's stick to the topic, otay?

I take offense at your use of the term "otay".

Posted By: slugguru
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 9:18am
Did anybody really take the time to read this ?
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt
[br]
quote:

I take offense at your use of the term "bureaucratic". While popular usage may carry some pejorative associations, those associations are not necessarily relevant, or even valid, when applied to description of an event. The term may be accurate in describing the hierarchical organization of the state that carried out the horrific events described, but has little meaning when associated with the events themselves.

Your misuse of the term, coupled with the focus you have placed on its pejorative connotations, does a disservice to all the readers of this forum who could fairly be labeled as bureaucrats. I, for example, have recently moved from a long career in operations and system development to a policy position befitting my extensive experience and broad vision in meeting the goals of my government agency (or "bureau", if you prefer), so I think I can fairly be labeled a bureaucrat. I am proud of my position and the hard work that brought me to this point. Am I now to be associated with atrocities in which I played no role simply so you can make a point about someone else's casual use of a term to which you clearly attach a deeper meaning? Your association of bureaucracy and genocide was unfair, unnecessary, and unmindful of the possibility that you might be hoist on your own petard.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 9:18am
quote:
[br]
quote:

Are you guys serious?

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 9:29am
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Are you guys serious?

Live Long and Prosper

No - I am not. Should I have used one of those "thingies"?[:)][8D][:p][}:)][:o)][8][^][?]

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 9:37am
I now that offense to the term "thingies" and concur with mycroftt about the "otay" reference, quite offensive indeed.

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 11:47am
you know what the best thing about this thread is? all the people who reply to it with an enormous space-taking up copy of what was said before. you know you can reply without quoting large chunks of the thread, right?

Eric
Tackett's Mill to Rosslyn and back I slug.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 12:22pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Are you guys serious?

Live Long and Prosper

No - I am not. Should I have used one of those "thingies"?[:)][8D][:p][}:)][:o)][8][^][?]

Okay-LOL. Maybe one of those emoticons would've been good...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 1:00pm
The term "emoticons is offensive.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 1:25pm
quote:

where's the Moderator when you need one?

I am offended by unnecessary and capricious capitalization. It tends to cheapen and detract from the effect of approriate capitalization.

On that note, I'm out. Have a great weekend everybody.

Mike

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 1:45pm
I'm offended by all those offended. No offense.

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 4:10pm
No kidding. It's been getting a little out of hand here lately. No offense. [8)]

quote:
[br]where's the Moderator when you need one?

Posted By: tri2dc
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 10:16am
Do we need to talk this one out again?

Posted By: qorc
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 10:20am
lighten up, Francis

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 3:17pm
I'm offended by bringing this up again. [:D]

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 3:47pm
I think "Slug Line Nazi" is a perfectly appropriate term because it calls to mind the recollection of the Soup Nazi. Heck, the new Five Guys at 13th & F needs a Burger Nazi to keep the line moving properly. I'm offended by people who are offended at this term that brings to mind memories of the heyday of "Seinfeld."

Posted By: uhura.
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2005 at 12:07am
How did we just know that "USA" would be okay with Nazism? Hummmmmm

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2005 at 7:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by uhura.
[br]How did we just know that "USA" would be okay with Nazism?

Were you offended by the "Seinfeld" episode I mentioned?

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 8:27am
I would rather deal with the Nazi's than the zono's who stand in la la land as 10 cars all going to the same place are awaiting someone new to come to the line. Meanwhile there are ten more cars waiting to get within speaking distance of the slugs, but noone in line will move up, the same goes for the cars. WAKE UP PEOPLE. SOME OF US DO WANT TO GET TO WORK ON TIME... MOVING YOUR FEET A FEW INCHES WONT HURT!! NEITHER WILL SPEAKING UP!!

Did we bring this subject up a year ago??? Everyone needs to work together, thats how it works!!!!

:'}

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net