Print Page | Close Window

Try Potomac Mills if Horner Rd is full

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1188
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 6:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Try Potomac Mills if Horner Rd is full
Posted By: WBSlug7
Subject: Try Potomac Mills if Horner Rd is full
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 9:36am
What a crazy commute this morning was! Horner Rd was packed out by 8 so I decided to try Potomac Mills for the first time thinking others would have the same idea. However, when I got there I couldn't find any lines, but luckily saw a few cars and eventually guessed my way to the Crystal City line. Luckily there was another person looking as lost as I was and a car pulled up also thinking to try PM since Horner was a mess.

My comment is this: Why aren't more people using Potomac Mills when Horner Rd is full? There were TONS of spots to park and no one was taking advantage of it? If all the overflow would head over to PM or some other lots it would all work out. (I can understand if certain lines are only available at Horner but most are offered at both)

Replies:
Posted By: glacier
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 10:49am
Not as many drivers

Cheers,

Glacier

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 12:31pm
I agree with glacier. There aren't many drivers heading back to PM in the afternoon.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 1:11pm
I agree as well and I am wondering how long it'll take me to get home tonight. But if drivers were willing to pick up at PM they should be willing to drop off at PM, how else are slugs supposed to get home? I don't want to waste money for a bus just to cross the road.

Posted By: swichowski
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 1:30pm
I see a lot of people who slug back to Horner and take the bus to Potomac Mills. I think it cost under $1.00 but not sure! Anyone Know???

Posted By: koakui
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 2:09pm
I would definately start using Potomac again if we had drivers. I don't need to be to the lot until 8 or after and by then there are no cars, if cars would start going to Potomac, I know a bunch of slugs who would start going there as well...

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 4:23pm
I think that would help out the Horner over-crowding situation a lot if people would use Potomac Mills. It's not that much of an inconvenience to get on/off the HOV lanes either and the traffic at the lights aren't as bad as Telegraph Rd. Are most drivers willing to take slugs over to Potomac Mills instead of Horner if need be?

Posted By: P8R10TZ
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 5:29am
I'm a Potomac driver, but I only find riders for Potomac at night 25% of the time because a lot of them started taking the bus. It's tough to wait for just Potomac because of that, so I take Horner if Potomac riders aren't there. If more drivers were willing to start picking up for Potomac, I'm sure more riders would come back as well.

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 7:41am
When I was commuting to/from Rosslyn, on days I drove, I'd try first for Potomac or Tacketts riders, just because it was harder for them to get back. For me, Potomac was actually the best, because it allowed me to bypass much of Minnieville and all of PWP. What a mess those roads have become as more and more building occurs past Dale City.

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 7:47am
quote:
Originally posted by P8R10TZ
[br]I'm a Potomac driver, but I only find riders for Potomac at night 25% of the time because a lot of them started taking the bus. It's tough to wait for just Potomac because of that, so I take Horner if Potomac riders aren't there. If more drivers were willing to start picking up for Potomac, I'm sure more riders would come back as well.

Yeh, I think that's the problem. Drivers or riders don't know when one or the other are going to be at Potomac. I believe it got worse for Potomac Mills when Horner expanded. I think something needs to be done with Potomac Mills cause yesterday I saw at least 10-12 cars parked along Telegraph Road. People must be coming from miles around to park at Horner. [:)]

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 9:07am
I think P8R10TZ has the right idea. If drivers are more willing to drop off at Potomac AND Horner then the slugs will be more confident in using Potomac again. Drivers have the flexibility in which lots to use, slugs not as much unless we want to wait for a bus. It's all in promoting on everyone's part.

Side note: I took Potomac home last night from CC and even though I waited an extra 5 mins than the Horner line I still found a ride home and there were at least 5 of us waiting. I also know drivers sometimes prefer to pick up at CC than waiting in the long lines at the Pentagon so that might help.

Posted By: Uhura
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 12:54pm
Hate to say it-But I told you so:

Most people do not go to PM in the afternoon-Horner is the preferred spot. I said as much on another thread and got jumped on...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 12:59pm
I think people who are willing to pick up at PM but aren't willing to drop off there because it's less convenient are being selfish.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 1:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by WBSlug7
[br]I think people who are willing to pick up at PM but aren't willing to drop off there because it's less convenient are being selfish.

I think you're right about that WB, but each commuter is going to do whatever's convenient for them...Unfortunately, the fact remains that Horner is the preferred afternoon spot.

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 6:44pm
I would like to see more drivers become flexible about driving to Potomac. When I slugged from CC, I would sometimes wait quite a while before getting picked up by a driver. And most of the time, it was because the driver got tired of waiting for Horner or Tackett riders.

Slugs DON'T have a choice of where his or her destination is at night. It is the drivers who could become more flexible to help out the Potomac riders. Potomac does have a lot of extra spaces available and could help with alleviating the overflow problem at Horner. The people (drivers AND riders) reading this post could help by spreading the word about Potomac. It's really not that much further to go there, especially if you have to go down Dale Blvd to get home anyway.

If we work together, instead of arguing about which lot is best, I'm sure it could work out in everyone's favor in the long run. Starting now, I'm personally going to do what I can to make the Woodbridge slug system better; even if it means a little less convenience for me.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 8:02am
quote:
[br]I would like to see more drivers become flexible about driving to Potomac. When I slugged from CC, I would sometimes wait quite a while before getting picked up by a driver. And most of the time, it was because the driver got tired of waiting for Horner or Tackett riders.

Slugs DON'T have a choice of where his or her destination is at night. It is the drivers who could become more flexible to help out the Potomac riders. Potomac does have a lot of extra spaces available and could help with alleviating the overflow problem at Horner. The people (drivers AND riders) reading this post could help by spreading the word about Potomac. It's really not that much further to go there, especially if you have to go down Dale Blvd to get home anyway.

If we work together, instead of arguing about which lot is best, I'm sure it could work out in everyone's favor in the long run. Starting now, I'm personally going to do what I can to make the Woodbridge slug system better; even if it means a little less convenience for me.

LOL-No one is arguing about which lot is best. We have already established which lot is PREFERRED by the folks who are driving. The bottom line is that most of the drivers are not going to be inconvenienced if they don't have to. You talk about drivers being more flexible-why not flip the coin? You can be more "flexible" and stop complaining about your wait to be dropped off @ Potomac Mills.

I see your point about the availability of overflow parking @ Potomac Mills; however, I do not agree with you that it's not "a big deal."

Why are you assuming that everyone is going straight home or up Dale Blvd after work? Potomac Mills can add 10 to 15 minutes to my commute-making me at least 15 minutes late for my afternoon appointments. Tacketts would make me 20 minutes late.

I don't drive anymore (except on Fridays), but I can see how a driver may not want to or be able to commit to that particular brand of inconvenience every day.

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: spolastre
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 10:57am
quote:
[br]I would like to see more drivers become flexible about driving to Potomac. When I slugged from CC, I would sometimes wait quite a while before getting picked up by a driver. And most of the time, it was because the driver got tired of waiting for Horner or Tackett riders.

The problem is that a lot of the Horner drivers do not know the fastest way to get to Potomac Mills. They all take Prince William Parkway and then go through all those lights.

I showed two drivers that were forced to take Potomac Mills riders the fast way, which is going through Dale City/Rippon Landing, and they were amazed on how fast they got in and out of there.

I think it's just not knowing.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 11:42am
quote:
Originally posted by spolastre
[br]
quote:

The problem is that a lot of the Horner drivers do not know the fastest way to get to Potomac Mills. They all take Prince William Parkway and then go through all those lights.

I showed two drivers that were forced to take Potomac Mills riders the fast way, which is going through Dale City/Rippon Landing, and they were amazed on how fast they got in and out of there.

I think it's just not knowing.

Please post the directions!

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 11:49am
It is much easier to read this board if people would just reply and not post the entire thread with their message. It's annoying and time-consuming and unnecessary. I don't mean anyone in particular - I've certainly been guilty of the same thing from time to time. But for ease of reading, please just Reply. We'll know what you're talking about. (maybe the posting of the whole thread is an automatic feature for you. if so, I apologize. just trying to help)

Eric
Sluggin' from Tacketts to Rosslyn and back.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 1:27pm
Directions for getting to Potomac from HOV.

- Take the Dale City / Rippon Landing exit. This is the next one past the Horner Road (Prince William Pkwy) exit.
- Stay to the right and follow the curve around to the right. This should take you between the Hylton Chapel and the Best Western.
- Once you see the Best Western, get in the middle lane and follow it to the right past the white chapel.
- Go straight the light in front of Bob Evans towards Potomac Mills

I'm sure any Potomac Mills slug would be more than willing to guide you there if these instructions aren't clear to you. Hope this helps!!

To Roadrunner:

The commuter lot at Potomac Mills is located across from the Pier One and Texaco. There are maps on this site that show where each line is. Let me know if you need more info.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2004 at 3:25pm
quote:
[br]I'm sure any Potomac Mills slug would be more than willing to guide you there if these instructions aren't clear to you.

The times I've driven to Potomac, slugs have been very helpful getting me to the correct turns. We all want to get home.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 12:14pm
To Roadrunner:

Thanks Roadrunner-but I think I've been guided through that way & it added ~ 18 minutes to my commute....18 minutes that I didn't have. If I am driving, it's so much easier to drop people off @ Horner and be on my merry way...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 9:11am
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]To Uhura: thanks for what? I wasn't the one giving directions -- merely asking.

My bad-I meant to thank the person that posted the directions...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 9:27am
UGH! Again I ran into the overflow problem at Horner today, and again Potomac Mills was left empty while tons of cars just waited at Horner for no one. Don't drivers realize that the lot is packed and slugs can't park so therefore no riders? Don't slugs realize the lot is full and there's no inch of grass or curb or striped lines left to park? Just go to Potomac Mills everyone! Learn the directions and get over there if Horner is full. Stop illegal parking and all of this idiocy. UGH!

Posted By: Pirategirl
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 1:43pm
I normally slug from Horner and I don't have a problem slugging from PM to Rosslyn, but I've overheard a few people comment that there is also limited parking at PM, with only a few lanes of parking being designated for slugging. Is there any truth to this?
[?]

~Don't remove the kinks from your hair, remove them from your brain~

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 4:36pm
There is a designated area for commuter parking (which is poorly marked aside from the blue lines on the main loop around the mall) but ever since Horner's gotten so popular it is barely half-full now. There are hundreds of empty spaces after 8AM. In the past before the new Horner lot was built I think it used to get full, but not anymore.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 6:19pm
You are correct, WBSlug7. Once the expansion at Horner was finished, may riders migrated to Horner. This was mostly because of the rumor Potomac Mill was closing their lot. The reason it's poorly marked is because it hasn't filled up in a while. I'm sure they would mark it if the lot started getting full again.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 9:34am
I think I will use Potomac tomorrow because Horner is a nightmare these days and people are just so agressive trying to find any illegal spot they can. (This is about 10 till 8 am.) Are there drivers picking up from Potomac around the 8 am hour?

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 2:56pm
Horner is really getting out of control! Traffic was so bad today just getting into the lot that I didn't even bother trying and went straight to PM.

To give some encouragement to frustrated Horner users who want to try PM, I have noticed more Horner regulars going over to PM to check it out. Both days I've used PM I was met with other Horner exiles. I've had no problem slugging except having to wait a bit longer.

As for popularity, at around 8AM there are usually 2-3 cars waiting at the Pentagon line, and Rosslyn/CC drivers will swing by too. There's a slow flow of slugs as well.

If we spread the word out about making PM popular again I think we can make it work better for all of us.

Posted By: cedarcitynative
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 3:45pm
Yeah, I'm with you on the Horner Road issue. I used to get there at 7:45am and have spots to choose from. The other day I arrived at 7:35 and got one of the last two spots. Yesterday I opted for 234 and ended up 1 mile down the road and away from the lot. Pretty ridiculous. This morning I left my house at 7:50am, bought gas and drove over to PM. I had two happy slugs in my car and was into work by 9am. Not bad at all. I've been at it for over two years and am tired of the fight for spots and riders at 234 and Horner and am happily transferring my business to PM.

Posted By: slugbug
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 4:54pm
ONLY ONE COMMENT.....THIS MORNING (WEDNESDAY SEPT 15TH) WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!![V]

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 9:46pm
quote:
Originally posted by slugbug
[br]ONLY ONE COMMENT.....THIS MORNING (WEDNESDAY SEPT 15TH) WAS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!![V]

Ummmmmm, where?

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2004 at 9:15am
This morning I tried Potomac as suggested. Everything went very smooth, no fighting for a spot - I just pulled into one and parked, walked over to the line and proceeded to catch a ride and on to work. There is a need for more drivers for the 14th Street line over there. And - Hopefully drivers will take us back to Potomac in the evening!

Cruisin in HOV

Posted By: fed up
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2004 at 1:27am
A major consideration to all those individuals who park illegally at the Horner Road lot: What would happen if an emergency vehicle needed to access the lot but couldn't do so because you have parked illegally. I have been informed by the County Police that the emergency vehicles will get in NO MATTER WHAT and the owners of those illegally parked cars may not be happy with the condition of their vehicle upon their return. Granted it is very seldom that these vehicles need to access the lot, but the first time that it happens . . .

The lot at Hechingers is pretty empty now as well. I think the I-95 traffic constantly backing up south of Dale City in the morning is causing more slug riders to divert to Horner Road.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2004 at 8:07am
I began slugging at 7 AM instead of 8 AM to avoid the Horner havoc but still find it difficult in both AM and PM, so I've decided to use Potomac permanently. Instead of a car-line, there's an actual slug-line, and we get picked up quickly. Even though it is a bit farther than Horner to my house, I still save 5+ minutes driving time since there's no traffic.

Use Potomac Mills and skip the mess at Horner. There's no traffic and just as easy to use.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2004 at 8:16am
quote:
[br]I began slugging at 7 AM instead of 8 AM to avoid the Horner havoc but still find it difficult in both AM and PM, so I've decided to use Potomac permanently. Instead of a car-line, there's an actual slug-line, and we get picked up quickly. Even though it is a bit farther than Horner to my house, I still save 5+ minutes driving time since there's no traffic.

Use Potomac Mills and skip the mess at Horner. There's no traffic and just as easy to use.

I would use PM if it weren't for the problem of getting a ride home. Going back to Woodbridge from Crystal City, there are plenty of Horner Road cars but very few Potomac Mills cars...

Live Long and Prosper

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2004 at 11:24am
I'll be at Potomac around 8 a.m. tomorrow for slugging in case there are any drivers who want to try to come out that way. Thanks!

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2004 at 2:01pm
Koakui, I think you are making a major and positive contribution to re-newing slugging at PM. A few years ago, that was a major spot for slugs. I don't know what happened.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2004 at 2:14pm
I used to go over there all the time myself. When the new lot opened at Horner last year or the year before - whenever it was - people all started going to Horner. I ended up over there myself just because it was hard to find drivers at Potomac and Potomac's lots were filled to capacity with cars and finding parking was getting tough. Now it is the opposite. I have no intention of fighting people for spaces at Horner when there is parking at Potomac - Potomac is also more convenient for me anyways. I just hope drivers will start seeing the benefits and come on over too.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2004 at 3:27pm
I know personally I'm making the effort to go to Potomac Mills even though I know I can find a spot and it's easier for me to get home at Horner. And as for going home from CC, I have had no problems getting a ride. I do have to tell myself often not to get angry at the drivers who are lined up waiting for Horner slugs when they can just pick us up to Potomac. But I have found that if there are 2 slugs waiting for Potomac but no one for Horner after a few minutes driver will reluctantly take us. I am always happy to ride with someone who has Potomac as first choice however.

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2004 at 5:28pm
quote:
[br]...I am always happy to ride with someone who has Potomac as first choice however.

That would be me... [:D]

Posted By: aaron_the_prince
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 1:44pm
RIDERS: Yesterday I slugged from PM in the morning and back in the afternoon. There was about a 5 min wait for a ride in the morning (around 8 a.m.).

BUT, the real advantage came in the afternoon, when I made a PM sign advertising my interest in being dropped off at PM, with another PM slug standing next to me, we made a PM line right next to the Horner Rd. line at NY Ave (at 5 p.m.). While about 20 Horner riders waited for rides, as PM riders, we had a ride within 2 minutes. We were at the lot by 5:45, home by 6 p.m. What a treat it was not to have to wait ten minutes in line for a Horner ride with another ten minute wait to walk to my car and get out of the lot!! We need more morning drivers around 8 p.m.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 2:26pm
I'll be standing the Potomac line tonight myself. Last night it was a breeze, smooth sailing to get to Potomac. So much easier than trying to get out of Horner and the craziness that goes with it.[:D]

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 3:39pm
It would really help a lot if more drivers were committed to pickup AND dropoff at Potomac Mills. As opposed to picking up PM in the morning and only wanting to dropoff at Horner at night. I always to try to pickup up for PM first at night and then take Horner if no one is available for PM. But, that's me...

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 3:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br]It is much easier to read this board if people would just reply and not post the entire thread with their message. It's annoying and time-consuming and unnecessary.

You should learn how to say something without having to say something as "unnecessary" as the last sentence. I think everyone understood what you were trying to say by the first one. I find it annoying and time-consuming when people have to be rude to state an opinion.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 5:41pm
ahem...OK, back on subject now...[:D]

Posted By: nudriver
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 7:57pm
Can anyone tell me if there is a decent amount of slugs at the Potomac Mills lot going to Crystal City around 6:15?

Potomac Mills would really be the most convenint place for me to pick-up slugs, but am concerned at how many there may be due to the conversation in this thread. [|)]

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2004 at 8:40pm
Hmmm, that's earlier than I'm usually there. But, it's not very often I have to wait long for riders to show up; especially with the amount of Rosslyn drivers that are usually there.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 8:03am
I've slugged both around 7 and 8 and there's always slugs to be picked up. The Crystal City line at Potomac seems to be more desperate for drivers than slugs. I'd suggest leaving a bit early and trying it out for yourself. Also don't be intimidated by the amount of cars waiting, they're 90% Rosslyn drivers (which some also accomodate CC if needed).

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 8:31am
Can someone tell me who I can contact at VDOT regarding Horner/slugging situations?

Here are my objectives:
1. Suggest to VDOT to ticket illegally parked cars REGULARLY or DAILY as a way to force people to use other lots. This can help them generate massive revenue as well. I've noticed PWC police out catching HOV violators but I've heard somewhere they don't have jurisdiction over the lots.

2. Have VDOT implement destination signs for the lines at lots, or get permission to put one up ourselves. I think by having posted signs there will be less confusion about whether a line is still running or not when it's empty. It will also help out newbies or those wanting to try alternatives.

I believe there are ways to make slugging even better if people are willing to put some effort into it. As useful this site is I feel in order to reach the public about things we need some other solutions. Anyone with me? [:)]

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 9:40am
quote:
[br]Can someone tell me who I can contact at VDOT regarding Horner/slugging situations?

WBSlug7, you might have to go to the county for that.

Posted By: gsteele
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 10:23am
Do we have any statistics to show how many in the slugging community (drivers and riders) frequent these boards? I’m relatively new to slugging and it amazes me how well this de-centralized system works, but a grass roots effort to make a change would seems difficult if 25% of the slugging community does not use a forum (like this one) to keep up to date on slugging issues. The problem seems to be one of mass communication. Are there other ways to get the word out of a Horner exodus? Could we hang/distribute flyers at Horner to inform people of the alternative? Ad in local papers? Sorry if this is a newbie comment/suggestion.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 11:03am
I think word of mouth is a good way and I've been trying to do that and promote Potomac when I ride with people. I've seen people are slowly turning around. I think it will take a bit of time. As for encouraging the police to ticket people, I think that is a bit unfair. We may actually get into a situation in the very near future where every lot is full and if we have the police sniffing around the lots looking to ticket, we will have lots of people getting tickets for no good reason. I don't think it is fair to punish people. Slowly the turnaround will come, we just have to be patient and give it time. More people are starting to use Potomac and probably the other lots too. I agree with the majority of people on the board though - 123 is a bear to get to and that in and of itself is a 30 min. commute!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 12:08pm
I think it is perfectly fair for the police to be able to ticket illegal parkers. Maybe in the future ALL of the commuter lots will be overcrowded, but that isn't the case here. Lots like Potomac and 123 are very much vacant, and with the spill over form Horner it still wouldn't even fill one of those lots to capacity right now. When the time comes that we really have nowhere to park then I will say it is unfair, but even then there are always solutions. The point is that many of the lines aren't just exclusive at Horner, so it is only a convenience issue we are struggling with here. Since I too am just a newbie, I don't know how the public has dealt with communicating to others either. I just see problems arising and want to help solve it for everyone's sake.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 2:04pm
I agree with WB. Although, ticketing illegal parkers at Horner may initially seem like a drastic measure. This issue is convienience. And, ticketing more illegal parkers at HOrner would be a certain incentive to get them to rethink their lot loyalty to Horner Rd. Ticketing illegal parkers will force Horner uses to seek alternatives to their usual routine. There are alternatives that commuter may actually find less painful than using Horner, its just that they are used to the pain of Horner Rd. And, finally, the county's excuse for not expanding lots like 234 or further expansion to Horner is that there are lots, like Potomac, that are not being used to even near capacity.

Whether they start ticketing Horner parkers or not. I am beffudled as to why anyone would want to put up with the hassle of Horner Rd, given the increasing congestion and headaches. I know I am using PM now.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 2:23pm
A lot of people are encouraging the use of Potomac which is fine. However, I might add that Potomac is not a county lot, and the owners of PM could change their parking policies without county approval. The point I would make is that the county needs to keep ahead of the game with the county lots before we get 2000 cars at Potomac and the the mall changes polices.

Bob

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 2:56pm
RoadRunner,
There aren't any shoppers before the mall opens. The spaces used by the commuters are rarely used by shoppers due to their location. Even in December the commuters will be gone before the shoppers would want to use those spaces.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 3:14pm
Thanks MDC! There's no way the shoppers could intervene with commuters. And if people are worried about their cars getting dinged up...what do you think is happening at Horner? How are cars parking in every which way any better at avoiding dings? As for it not being a county lot, when PM decides to take their lot back then we will worry about it. Again PM is an alternative, if PM was gone I'd use 123 or somewhere else. It doesnt hurt to try it for a week THEN see how it goes. Stop thinking of the negatives and focus on solutions.

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 6:24pm
I have NEVER seen shopping affect parking at PM. PM designated those particular spaces because they would affect their shoppers the least. [:)]

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 7:57am
Sorry if I was being rude RoadRunner, I am just tired of the comment-bashing that goes on in most of these threads, but I see your point. I think if anything PM would appreciate the commuters parking there because that's an incentive to them. By parking there makes it convenient for people to just "stop by" the mall to spend money on their way home, especially around the holiday season.

I also have to say that this week has been a pretty good week of slugging for me at PM, minus the one day I had to wait 20 mins in the evening at CC. I am happy about the willingness of a lot of drivers to make multiple stops. Have a great weekend!

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 8:15am
WB, good point about shopping convenience for commuters at PM. I like PM and Tackett's for just that reason. On the days I park at the Tackett's old lot (near McDonalds), I can get groceries and stop at the pharmacy before having to get back into traffic. Once I'm into Minnieville's clunky flow, I hate to make another stop.

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 12:57pm
Great news! There's been word that PWC are ticketing illegal parkers at Horner today! I hope they keep it up and it's not a once a month deal. If they had parked at the empty legal spots in other lots like PM they wouldn't end their work week on a bad note...

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2004 at 11:28am
Horner drivers and riders: Please see map below: Try Potomac Mills around 8 a.m. there are more cars and people showing up due to the recent ticketing.
http://www.slug-lines.com/Images_2/Potomac_small.gif

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2004 at 3:33pm
There were tons of cars waiting this morning for slugs to show up because I bet Horner Rd was a mess from the rain. Also getting rides in the evenings has been a bit easier as well. Keep it up!

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2004 at 3:41pm
I had been told (a number of years ago) by someone who used to work with the county and PRTC in its infancy that when Potomac Mills was being planned, that they had to guarantee the county a certain number of parking spaces for commuter parking. Hopefully this is true. I haven't bothered to check it out myself.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 11:07am
Can people give an update of how the PM lines are working in the recent weeks? Personally I feel it's gaining popularity, especially with the Horner ticketing. I can only speak for the 7 AM crowd, so I'd like to get some feedback on the earlier and especially the after 8 crowd. I think if people know how the lines are running specific to their needs they feel more comfortable with trying PM out.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 11:42am
My car pool and I have been meeting at Potomac Mills. We started this week due to lack of legal parking at Horner Road. At 7:50 am there are several cars queued up in line waiting for riders in the line towards Vans which is the Pentagon line. Yesterday, I needed to pick up a third and I found the 14th Street line (closer to the food court side) and there were several people standing in line waiting for riders. Not sure how long it would be before another car showed up I took two riders even though I only needed one. There was also a person waiting in the Crystal City line for a ride. This morning there were more cars than riders for Pentagon, but riders were slowly trickling in.[:D] I couldn't see the lines for DC or Crystal City -- we were parked at the other side of the lot. There was plenty of parking available.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2004 at 11:43am
My car pool and I have been meeting at Potomac Mills. We started this week due to lack of legal parking at Horner Road. At 7:50 am there are several cars queued up in line waiting for riders in the line towards Vans which is the Pentagon line. Yesterday, I needed to pick up a third and I found the 14th Street line (closer to the food court side) and there were several people standing in line waiting for riders. Not sure how long it would be before another car showed up I took two riders even though I only needed one. There was also a person waiting in the Crystal City line for a ride. This morning there were more cars than riders for Pentagon, but riders were slowly trickling in.[:D] I couldn't see the lines for DC or Crystal City -- we were parked at the other side of the lot. There was plenty of parking available.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 10:33am
Ive switched to PM about two weeks ago. The volume of DC commuters is definately picking up around the 8 a.m. hour. Also, I find it much easier to get a ride in the afternoon from 14th and NY to PM than to Horner - which the line is usually 25 people long by 5 p.m.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 8:42am
Thought I'd try to get this thread active again since I've notice a lot of comments on the other threads regarding to PM that might be better suited here.

For new readers, Potomac Mills has greatly improved this month. There's always a good amount of people now but we do have to work on consistency. Everyone I've talked to has said more and more ex-Horner users are coming over to PM. I'm also noticing the evening crowd increasing as well, and consequently drivers willing to drop off at PM.

I know there are some of us who have expressed the desire to improve PM and I think it's time we actually do follow through and involve others. Here's the two main concerns:
1. Encourage Horner Rd users to be flexible with using PM.
2. Reorganize the slug lines at PM.

I think we just need a bunch of us to work together from both lots and at the destinations to spread the word and possibly pass out flyers. Comments?

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

Posted By: cthomas25
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 9:08am
Ok, I'm convinced. But what are the odds that I can find drivers to Rosslyn? If my odds are good then PM is a done deal for me. I'm tired of Horner Rd. and I've only been commuting for less than a week. [:o)]

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 10:00am
Getting to PM in the afternoons can be much quicker than Horner if you take the smart route:

- Take the Dale City/Rippon Landing Exit (exit after PW Pkwy/Horner Rd). This will take you off the HOV ramp and into the 95 exit lane by IKEA.

- Take the first exit towards Dale City and turn right at the end of the ramp towards Potomac Mills.

From here you have two options:

Option 1:
- Take the second right onto Gideon Dr (small white chapel on the right).
- Go past the light at Opitz Blvd/Smoketown Rd and make the second left at the McDonald's.
- Make a right onto Potomac Mills Cir and you will see the commuter lot on your left.
Result: ONE traffic light but requires quick maneuvering into center lane at Gideon Dr)

Option 2:
- Take the first right onto Potomac Mills Rd (Best Western).
Here you can either 1. Make the next left onto Metro Pl, past the light at Gideon Dr and make a right at Potomac Mills Circle by the McDonald's and left into the commuter lot OR 2. Go straigt on Potomac Mills Rd past Metro Pl and Gideon Dr until you reach the circle (Pier 1) and make a left to get to the lot.
Result: TWO traffic lights (maybe 3?) and no quick merging.

Here's a map of the area http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=N7olZmbMQl0%3d&longitude=xAgqf2mylE4%3d&name=Mc%20Donald%27s&countryid=250&country=US&address=14362%20Gideon%20Dr&city=Woodbridge&state=VA&zipcode=22192&phone=703%2d490%2d6691&cat=mcdonalds&spurl=0&searchtype=GenSearch

Either way it's much quicker than going through Horner lot and waiting at the lights on PW Pkwy and Telegraph Rd.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 10:11am
Rossylyn, Crystal City, and Pentagon are all very good lines at PM. DC is good most of the time but needs more support still. I'd say Rosslyn is probably the most popular spot at PM, which really annoys us CC slugs because we are still working on increasing our numbers. You can always get a ride but if you do get stranded, you can go elsewhere and hop the metro or take the bus. There are others who use these lines just to get to the metro and go into DC like L'Enfant.

Our issue lately is either having too many drivers or too many slugs waiting for the other destination. For example, yesterday was CC cars with Rosslyn slugs waiting (which rarely happens) and today was Rosslyn cars with CC slugs waiting (more typical). It might sound bad but the wait isn't that long. The after 7:30 crowd is much better than before I imagine with Horner being at full-capacity earlier nowadays.

Posted By: Greg
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 2:38pm
I've been reading several of the topics re: the use of PM over Horner. The problem resides with the evening commute home. While we all agree that SOME drivers will ask for PM, most will shout out Horner, and only if there are no Horner slugs will the driver start to call out other lots. While us sluggers can't expect drivers to go out of their way to help the first slugger in line, I think it's apparent that everyone fights to get to Horner (thereby causing it to be full by 7:30 now, when it used to be 8:00 and 8:30 a short time ago) b/c that's the first response of drivers in the evening.

A suggestion .... What if the bus gave people free rides from Horner to PM in the evenings, thereby not making us slugs wait for the lucky driver who asks for PM? I am posing this more for the folks who go to CC or Rosslyn b/c I know there are only a few buses that have routes there, but once you get to Horner, they could catch a DC or Pentagon/CC bus over to PM? Just a thought....

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 8:14pm
My experience with the bus from Horner to Potomac hasn't been good. The bus goes to Horner, drops off at two stops, and then has to wait with all the traffic going let on Telegraph. It can take forever to get through both of those lights.

My suggestion: Make Potomac Mills signs and hold'em high and proud!! I'll be looking for them!!

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 9:47pm
Uh oh. I sense another heated duel amongst the slugs. Not any longer is it hybrids vs. sluggers. Now its the Horner Roadies Vs. the Potomac Millers.

Stay tuned.

[:D]

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 10:15pm
I took three people to PM this afternoon from Rosslyn. This made the hybrids even more annoying,
especially since about 50% of the cars on the road at 4:30 were hybrids while I had 4 people in my car.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2004 at 8:35am
I love sarcasm, and it is true the PM vs. Horner lot issue has been causing some resentment amongst the slugs. Hope we won't be giving each other the stink eye in the future. Unfortunately, there will always be a preference for Horner from a driver's point of view. As for a free shuttle, I don't think the situation is bad enough yet for the county to implement it. The bus is only $1 from Horner to PM, but with the wait time you're better off just waiting in the slug line for a PM driver. It's a bit of an inconvenience to wait longer than Horner slugs, but I'm sure the Tackett's Mill and the Stafford crowd are just as disheartened. Personally, I'd rather wait a bit longer instead of putting up with the stress of finding a parking spot and sitting in the traffic to leave Horner.

Posted By: Greg
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2004 at 9:30am
I wasn't aware that it was only $1 for the Horner to PM connection. Good to know in case I ever need to use it. But I agree, it sounds like waiting for a PM driver is quicker than maneuvering thru Horner. I think as PM picks up momentum, us Horner Roadies [8D]will be able to appreciate the avcailability of more parking spots, and PM'ers will appreciate the less hectic atmosphere of car/bus/people chaos that is currently Horner Road.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net